• Tweets

• Hi Dave, Yep .... Will have to do AOS tomorrow .... Are you referring to CPR 31.14 Request?
    • I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Boris Johnson, former Prime Minister

The FT is digging up a lot of evidence on Ben Elliott, old-Etonian, Johnson's tennis partner and co-chair and chief fundraiser of the Conservative party. He's also the nephew of the Duchess of Cornwall and has access to Prince Charles.

He seems to be blurring the lines between his concierge company, Quintessentially, and political activities.

The Independent wrote about him last year.

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Labour condemns contract with prime minister's Old Etonian tennis partner as 'blindingly obvious conflict of interest' – and demands investigation

Illegitimi non carborundum

and Cameron allegedly made £7 million quid from the collapsed wind and wee fake invoice company be lobbied the UK government to give 20 billion too (of which he would allegedly get 2 billion quid if he had been more successful)

As it was he seems/allegedly just cost the UK taxpayer a few hundred million quid for his (alleged) 7 million quid gratuity

Wait until its Johnson turn ... thos efigures above will undoubtedly look like chlorinated chicken feed

• Sad 1

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

That seems straightforwardly corrupt.  Shouldn’t they both be in jail?”

Wales did vote Leave didn't it.

Apparently Wales-Ireland port business has collapsed, along with support for all the jobs at the ports, and at motorway services etc

I think this describes Johnsons utter incompetence quite well:

"When the idiots voted Leave the Irish government launched a project to create a new terminal and a new channel in Dublin then ordered two of the world’s biggest Ro-Ro’s as “Brexit busters”. The second began operations two years ago which explains the growth in direct trade to the EU. (rather than Via ports in Wales to ports in England)
It is worth noting that they designed, ordered, built and operated two giant ferries for over two years and the UK government who “Got Brexit Done” are still searching for a lorry park in Pembrokeshire having still not built a single Inland Customs Point."

- credit to Kerry Davies

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

NATION.CYMRU

Traders are abandoning the port of Holyhead post-Brexit, according to a report from an Irish government agency. The Irish Maritime Development...

in comments - but struck me as 'nail on the head'

i was reading around after seeing one of the stupid 'EU exports back to pre brexit levels

.. yep - for about 10 minutes if the stats were looked at in a specific way - with nothing like all around that carefully selected moment

- literally - I jest not

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Like 1

The Tory Legacy

google "Operation Bunter"

The Tory Legacy

Why would Ireland based traders transport out of the EU market  to UK and then through a UK port to EU ?

Bit obvious to anyone that Ireland would have goods cargo going straight to EU mainland.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

no, actually it isn't.

the traffic went through the UK for a reason - it was cost effective and shipments were also transported part way through full routes to optimise load carrying (why the UK is in the Johnson now re HGV transport)

If it wasn't for the utter certainty that the Brexiters would use whatever they could against the EU, even if it meant damaging UK transportation of food/materials, as it has, no-one with any sense thought that the Brexiters would be reasonable or honour anything.

- you simply cant trust liars

- so the EU/RoI prepared for that even though there was significant cost.

A mutual trade deal would have made much of the extra cost redundant - but no-one with sense believed the Brexiters would do anything but cheat.

The UK will also be bypassed for trans-atlantic product unless its still profitable in the UK market

Johnson and the Brexiters vacillated about Brexit, the EU vaccinated against Brexit.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

oh - and of course the natural progression through the cause and effect

ALL of this just to avoid agreeing no slipping on existing standards with the EU which would have addressed around 90% of the UK/island of Ireland and EU border issues.

- No excuses - standards agreements are part of ALL agreements including TTIP

So VERY clearly, the Brexiters want to trash existing standards and safeguards - at ANY cost to our Nation and its businesses and population.

The Tory Legacy

This article explains the author's view that no Brexit would ever be good enough for the hardliners and that the goalposts keep moving.

BYLINETIMES.COM

Chris Grey explores the political psychology behind the increasingly extreme demands made around Brexit that satisfy one primary desire: not for...

There is a goal - lowered UK food, safety and work standards so middlemen investing and risking and doing NOTHING can make fortunes out of shipping us/australia/south America lower standards foodstuff to a captive UK audience

- Something largely impossible except in a limited form as member of or close partner to the EU

Just look at the cronyism, waste, self aggrandizement and taxpayer money squandering absolutely ingrained into Johnson and his accomplishes

just like the PPE middlemen used priority connections to generate millions for middlemen for crap, while quality UK suppliers ended up selling their produce to the EU when their offers to help were stonewalled.

- but on a VASTER scale

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

LOL

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

The prime minister has not yet replaced James Brokenshire, who resigned from the role five weeks ago

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Boris Johnson appoints another MP to take over role despite home secretary assuming responsibilities

The Tory Legacy

WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM

'How much would it cost to run a full page advert in The Express that just has a montage of all their old inaccurate stories?' - News

Johnsons diary

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ExpresslyPredictedBrexit

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Like 1

The Tory Legacy

I'm seeing rather empty racks one day - filled the next - empty again a few days later - often with shorter than usual use by dates

Not THAT dramatic most of the time aside from being used to seeing lots - but occasionally the extent of the lack is a dramatic sight

Not entirely sure how much is lack of drivers/transport rather than lack of goods .. probably a mix of both

.. in which case less drivers needed to carry less available foodstuffs

and when even the BrEx-Press report on it (as its hard to deny) it is saying something - historically they would just deny it.

The Tory Legacy

WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM

New checks coming into effect from 1st October look to make food shortages worsen and increase prices. - Lifestyle

and in addition to car staff, NHS staff, fruit and veg workers, lorry drivers and hospitality staff

"In an extra twist to the new arrangements, both exports and imports of animal products will require inspection and certification from a vet as of 1st October. However, the UK is experiencing a huge shortage of vets at present, having been reliant on a flow of qualified vets from European countries. Between 80-100 vets used to arrive in the UK each month, but since the end of the transition period, only 20 per month are coming in, leaving a significant shortfall."

and on the border protection front, a main soundbite point of the Brexit cheer leaders

"To conduct new checks, attempts to set up a border control post in Portsmouth has been impeded by a lack of government funding and no real knowledge over how much will flow through it. "

The Tory Legacy

The situation in Afghanistan is so sad.

Albania is offering to take refugees, even though it's a poor country. A statement from their PM.

https://kryeministria.al/en/newsroom/hebrenjte-afganet-shqiperia/

Britain doesn't want to take many of the Afghans who helped British efforts because of the example it might set for other refugees, according to The Times.

I must admit to having little sympathy (other than the translators - which were far more than that) hard as that may sound

20 years and around $100 billion of support, training and fighting for them, to say nothing of the lives lost,

and within two weeks a few thousand largely Pakistani (alleged) trained Taliban with Kalashnikovs, truck loaded 50 cals and howitzers and some 'stolen American gear sweep across the country

- with the locals whinging and running rather than fighting.

Hard nosed I know, but If the locals wont fight after all that investment in them, it seems rather contrary for us to do so?

All that time effort money and lives seems to have built something largely as 'wrong' as the Taliban IMO -  just in apparently different ways

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

There is that aspect of it too, although some journos are saying that having troops there limited what Al Qaeda and Isis could do and are expecting terrorism to increase.

There will also be a refugee problem.

I just think that the last few weeks have been mismanaged by the UK and the US and that they could have done better for people. They don't seem to have seen this coming.

I think the last 20 years has been mismanaged by the US and UK,

and Afghanisan should long before now have had a democracy and Military that would reject and squash the Taliban like the bugs they are .

They learned nothing from the mistakes Russia made and have missed a great opportunity to have a developed and powerful ally in the area

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Sad 1

The Tory Legacy

no doubt China's belt and road approach with no issues with who the Taliban abuse, oppress, butcher and murder will be more to China's benefit and the Talibans taste.

The Tory Legacy

an interesting and very American perspective - not wrong though

Trump followers are now trying to throw the blame on Biden and the democrats when it was clearly Trump that emboldened and re-empowered the Taliban:

https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-removes-page-hailing-trump-taliban-deal-2021-8

Broader perspective:

ASIA.NIKKEI.COM

US military exit is likely to become Beijing's strategic gain

a bit of depth on the 'mechanisms' worth a peruse:

THEDIPLOMAT.COM

As U.S. troops withdraw, many contract employees – most of them from poor countries, including Nepal – are leaving Afghanistan and fanning out...

The Tory Legacy