Hermes - my parcel was eaten by rats - **SETTLED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

*advice sought on next steps please!*

In March, the parcel I sent via Hermes was initially "lost" for two weeks, and then delivered. The box and contents had been eaten by rats and was covered in rat urine. The recipients then had to dispose of the hazardous remnants of the parcel.

The recipients were family, and we are all absolutely disgusted by Hermes' failings. I have since been trying to claim compensation for the contents, postage, and negligence by Hermes. I can't even get a postage refund.

Hermes cannot even bring themselves to apologise, or acknowledge any wrong doing via their claims processes.

The list of Hermes's wrong doings are as follows:

1. Hermes cannot say where my "lost" parcel was for a 12 day period

2.My parcel took 14 days to be delivered. (the website said it should have taken up to 7 days to the location I required, but this information seems to have since been taken down)

3. All of the goods within the parcel were damaged by rats

4. The delivery man did not log a picture of the damaged goods as proof of delivery (only a blank sheet of paper is uploaded, supposedly not to incriminate themselves regrading the condition of the parcel)

5. The delivery man did not ring the doorbell, or speak to the recipient, and physically ran away from the property once the parcel was dumped and actively avoided communication with the recipients

6. Hermes would not honour my claim for compensation because the parcel contained (in their opinion) "perishable food". But they cannot offer a definition of "perishable" and do not accept the fact that if the parcel did not encounter rats, then the parcel items would have lasted weeks or even months within the box.

7. Hermes have refused to discuss my case any further and have ceased communications.

What I have done:

1.Tried to claim via Hermes and failed.

2. Contacted Citizens Advice (who contacted Trading Standards)

3.Completed a chargeback claim via my bank (for the postage) which was declined. I complained at the decision, and it was rejected again.

Evidence I have:

1. Photos of the parcel before and after delivery

2.All correspondance with Hermes

3.Correspondance with Citizens Advice and my bank

Aside from the health aspects of recieving a parcel covered in rat urine, I feel compelled enough to take this further on principle. It is not reasonable to pay for a courier service that destroys parcels, and they should not be immune to providing compensation for the above.

Any advice on this particular situation is welcome, in particular, what are my next steps?

I am sure I have protection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Thanks very much!

hedge_err

You haven't told us what was in the parcel, what the value was.

Also, where the contents properly declared and was the value properly declared. Did you pay any of their so-called compensation insurance? (Not that it is particularly relevant).

Please could you post up the message which you have received from Hermes declining any responsibility

Thanks very much for your reply. The parcel was a mix of (mostly food-related) things I bought and made-up myself to send to family. The complete list is: tinned food items (15 tins); dried pasta items; coffee; packaged fruit cakes; dried apricots; dried seeds and one over-the-counter medical item. The value is £43.50.

I declared the contents as "Dry food" when purchasing the postage on the Hermes website. I also submitted a "proof of value" note to Hermes with itemised contents and values as part of my claim.

I had free cover up to £20. The postage cost £12.04.

Please find the final correspondance message I recieved from Hermes attached. Final_Hermes_Response.pdf

Well I think if it wasn't for the fact that this is very low value, Hermes might consider giving you a run for your money on this one.

However, they seem to be declining liability because of the tinned foods – and not for anything else.

If you want to pursue this then of course we will help you. Start reading around the Hermes threads on the sub- forum and also read up on this forum about the steps involved in taking a small claim in the County Court.

Draft a letter of claim and then post it here and will have a look and take you through the next step.

However, if you read through a dozen or so of the Hermes stories, you will understand all the steps and nothing will feel particularly new to you

I'd like to persue this further and I really appreciate the support of this forum.

I've done some reading and now attempted draft 1 of the letter of claim.

I've attached it as a PDF here:Letter Before Claim v1.pdf

Any feedback would be gratefully recieved.

I've looked at the Money Claims .gov page and I note they have a new online system. I trust this doesn't change anything.

bit to wordy

you dont sent evidence either with an LOC either

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

poc is when you launch a court claim.

but no you dont...

submitting evidence only happens once/when/if the claim ever gets to the witness statement stage before it goes to a hearing with the judge

get reading up

100's of hermes threads here use our enhanced google search bar.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update.

Very unusual to get a result before you have to issue the claim. Well done.

• BankFodder changed the title to Hermes - my parcel was eaten by rats - **SETTLED**

well done everyone.

please don't forget to donate if you can to keep us here

dx

and they