Patient Choice and Waiting lists

Hi everybody - my turn to ask a question (more than one actually).

First, does what I seem to remember as being called "patient choice" still exist in the NHS and if so, can somebody point me to the current guidance and/or update me on how it's meant to work?  (I'm talking about patient involvement in choosing where to be referred/treated and by whom).

Second, how can you - if at all - check current surgeons' ratings/eveluations?

Third, are estimated hospital waiting times for different procedures meant to be publically available, and if so, where?  Is it on individual trust or hospital websites or is it held by the local clinicla commissioning group?  Is it an FOI request?

Last, is it reasonable to expect your GP to have reliable information about the current state of local NHS waiting times?

I'm a former NHS manager but I retired several years ago and I'm no longer sure what the current situation is regarding the above.  I'm in a position where I'm in a bit of a dilemma having to weigh up the pros and cons of two different elective procedures and their relative waiting times are significant to that decision.  Unfortunately I'm getting contradictory and conflicting information from different sources.

Interesting questions, Manxman and I hope you get some answers.

This could be one for @BazzaS if he's about.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum