Inspection after inspection?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I currently rent from my landlady and as per the agreement, the property is due inspection every year. Last year, sadly corona virus happened and after arguining with her about people visitiing during lockdown (e.g. to inspect), she finally settled for photos, which i sent and she accepted, this happened in Feb 2021.

It's May 2021, and she wants ANOTHER inspection, but this time wants to come over to the property, which this time I was ok with on the proviso that whoever visits as full PPE on and has proof of their covid vaccines and proof that their NHS Tracking app is clear from infection contact.

This is purely because my parents, in their mid 70's are in the high risk category, I'm in a support bubble with them and quite frankly refuse to risk their health over a spoilt child of a landlord who wants their way.

She's now kicking off as she doesn't' ahve nor wants the vaccine, nor has the NHS app. I didnt think i was unreasonable taking care and requiring certain safety measures, but it appears that she wants her way come helll or high water. Again, tenancy threatened if I dont comply and she has made it clear, she will have someone gain entry with or without me despite the concerns of corona.

Have I got any rights here at all? Especially seeing as she's clearly from India, family too, this has me in a somewhat concerning position. No, I have no problem with her coming, indian or not, but only with the safety measures.

Any advice?

Cheers,

Ade

There is a clash of ‘rights’ here.

You have the right to protect your family’s health.

She has the right to inspect, and the right to refuse vaccination.

My suggestion? Find a solution that respects both. Offer for her to send someone (in person) on her behalf, but they need to be

a) vaccinated (both doses), and

b) wearing PPE.

They can then do the inspection in person, live streaming it by video call to the LL, who can then ‘direct it’.

At least, this shows that you are being reasonable and looking to find a solution that respects both of your rights.

• Like 1

I’ve just noticed you have another LL problem, where you describe them as being unreasonable and harassing you.

It is for a different issue (so I’m not suggesting the threads should be merged!)

However, given this : do you think things are likely to improve or the relationship deteriorate?

If the latter, should you be considering starting to look for a different tenancy with a more agreeable LL (so you will then be able to move before things completely break down)

Where are you in terms of duration of your lease / notice you’d have to give?

I can see how you might say “why should I have to move?”, but do you see a decent relationship with this LL in your future?

Hi,

Thats ok, they are sort of linked. The relationship would be totally fine if everything goes her way. So she can come and go as she wishes, contact me all hours of the day and night etc... I've even tried paying her in advance for the electric (this is when it was down to 3 monthly), but it appears as soon as she got wind of this, its moved to 6 monthly.

I am looking at the moment, but as it's 8 mins away from work (walking) as I dont drive, its ideal.

I did check up on the notice, and despite it being an AST, it's clear about either party can't quit before the end of the fixed term (one year) up in November. it clear that since she's become unemployed, she's become more obcessive? I almost ffeel as if she's semi stalking me, and honestly, it's horrible. 

I can't see this relationship getting better as it's her way or no way. Despite trying to be flexible, it's obviously not flexible to exactly what she wants. it's down to the point now where I literally have told her to NOT phone me at all, and only email me. This was ignored, and she carries on texting (non stop) and emailing me, multiple times a week.

I'm so frustrated. Rent is NEVER late, the flat is immaculate (which Ive demonstrated in photos), and yet that STILL isn't enough >.>

I understand your concern but presumably your parents are a lot less 'at risk' now as they should be fully vaccinated.  It's the unvaccinated who leave themselves at risk - and that's their choice. 

Edited by hightail

Of course nothing is no risk but they don't live in the property, the OP is in a support bubble with them so can take all necessary precautions before visits.  There wouldn't be any direct contact between the elderly parents and the LL.  Easy enough to ask the LL to flow test on the doorstep before coming in, result in minutes.  I'd consider a refusal to that unreasonable and fair grounds to refuse admission. 

Edited by hightail

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the late response.

None of the above offers were acceptable by her. A friend of mine reminded me that she might feel vexed as she probably thought I was playing hard-ball due to her being originally from India coupled with the news labelling a variant the Indian variant. It's just a guess, but it's not the case, even the police were told to show evidence when I was dealing with them regarding her. *shrug*

To cut all this short, she's issied me with a Section 21 notice, which has me clamped to a 0 day possible leaving time due to fixed terms etc... I'll start a new thread about that, as she filed a "No Fault" S. 21, so this could get sticky as there's a few gotcha's.

Either way I'll link in this thread and the other one I ahd regarding her other issues.

Cheers for the feedback and help tho peeps!