• Tweets

• My emailed letters to P2G have been received and considered by David Jeremia Schnur who is P2G's 'Escalation and Complaints Adviser'. His response is attached. 19Apr24 David Schnur Linked In page.pdf 19Apr24 P2G email to me confirming my emails received.pdf
    • Not prosecuting in the public interest seems to be bandied about on forums frequented by students. I don't think I've ever seen a prosecution not go ahead because of that. You would have to define why it isn't in the public interest to prosecute someone who isn't paying their way and is costing other travellers more. I can't think of a reason. HB
    • we have known for a very very long time that 9/10 the OC never knows IRRWW are chasing debtors nor  in some cases even taking money from them that the OC never ever see!! IDRWW pockets it -  free money - lets all go on a staff holiday. there was an article some years back whereby that quoted some +£4M debtors had paid to IDRWW on UAE debts that when contacted the originating banks knew nothing about....😎  
    • let the ombudsman do their job. you'll win handsdown you dont obv owe OVO p'haps anything at all.  dont worry about Past Due credit or any other DCA ( THEY ARE NOT BAILIFFS!) as for you being added to the debt, thats quite OK, you were a resident adult and equally liable under law. once you start getting things moving via the  ombudsman dont forget to get your credit files cleansed of any negative data & seek compensation for distress etc, again the  ombudsman should sort both out for you. as you are now NOT a customer of OVO, there is very very little they can do to you now.  
    • A question - did you use the supermarket or the restaurant? I see the restrictions are different. Sign.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

...and so it begins

dcefx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6583 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, loving the site and glad i found it.

Just sent off the opening letter to Lloyds TSB with regards to our business account - over the last year we've clocked up £1400 in charges, almost exclusively as a result of their policy of taking debits out of an account BEFORE applying cleared credits to an account.

i.e. we pay a cheque in to the account and it's due to clear on wednesday, on wednesday they take all the transactions (ie cheques and DD's we've writen) out of the account but effectively using tuesday's balence and completely disregarding the large payment going thru their system that is technically "cleared".

We've got a secondary action against Nationwide as we had a business investor account which got laoded with penalties after we bounced some direct debits from the above account.

fingers crossed.

t

Hi all, loving the site and glad i found it.

Just sent off the opening letter to Lloyds TSB with regards to our business account - over the last year we've clocked up £1400 in charges, almost exclusively as a result of their policy of taking debits out of an account BEFORE applying cleared credits to an account.

i.e. we pay a cheque in to the account and it's due to clear on wednesday, on wednesday they take all the transactions (ie cheques and DD's we've writen) out of the account but effectively using tuesday's balence and completely disregarding the large payment going thru their system that is technically "cleared".

We've got a secondary action against Nationwide as we had a business investor account which got laoded with penalties after we bounced some direct debits from the above account.

fingers crossed.

t

:D

:D

I have to say, I know of NO other business that conducts half of its business in the middle of the night and the other half during normal office hours, but banks ALWAYS debit between midnight and 1am (more evidence that it's all done by computer) and always credit after opening time at 9am - more evidence that the crediting of accounts is a manual system (so they don't make a mistake and actually GIVE someone any money) but debiting is entirely automatic.

In any other line of business you'd expect that the close of business (4-30 to 5pm) would be the cut off time, and that if something went out and something was paid in it would all show up at the same time.

But the banks cheat, and now we've caught them, let's wring the money they've been fleecing back out of them.

I have to say, I know of NO other business that conducts half of its business in the middle of the night and the other half during normal office hours, but banks ALWAYS debit between midnight and 1am (more evidence that it's all done by computer) and always credit after opening time at 9am - more evidence that the crediting of accounts is a manual system (so they don't make a mistake and actually GIVE someone any money) but debiting is entirely automatic.

In any other line of business you'd expect that the close of business (4-30 to 5pm) would be the cut off time, and that if something went out and something was paid in it would all show up at the same time.

But the banks cheat, and now we've caught them, let's wring the money they've been fleecing back out of them.

stage 2...

A phone call today from our business manager telling us that they won't be refunding the charges etc & that these were "published when you opened the account and have not changed". Then giving me some (obviously from a script) legal speil about how if i were to take legal action i would be responsible for costs etc & it would be very expensive.

I've asked for a written response just confirming the position and their reasons for dismissing my claim but they're hesitant to provide the same.

So on Monday it's off to the court-house to file my claim...... :roll:

stage 2...

A phone call today from our business manager telling us that they won't be refunding the charges etc & that these were "published when you opened the account and have not changed". Then giving me some (obviously from a script) legal speil about how if i were to take legal action i would be responsible for costs etc & it would be very expensive.

I've asked for a written response just confirming the position and their reasons for dismissing my claim but they're hesitant to provide the same.

So on Monday it's off to the court-house to file my claim...... :roll:

Be prepared to go to court - just in case

Be prepared to go to court - just in case

Excellent

be aware that the consumer related legislation doe not apply to a business account.

So you have to rely mainly on Common law and UCTA 1977

Excellent

be aware that the consumer related legislation doe not apply to a business account.

So you have to rely mainly on Common law and UCTA 1977

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update - we got the useual slew of letters back from Lloyds saying that the charges were in line with T&C etc and as you all know we stuck to the original timescale and now have litigation going thru.

Today out of the blue they've sent us a letter as follows...

Dear DCEFX

Further to *********'s letter of the 9th March we have received a claim form from Leicester County Court. As you have now decided to pursue your concerns through the Courts we will not be responding to you regarding your complaint about charges.

Our Group Financial Crime Unit will respond to the Court within their required timescales.

Yours Sincerly

Service Recovery - Assistant Manager

It's worth pointing out that they ARE dealing with this business action in a different way to the consumer actions - they're also clearly trying to intimidate us by mentioning the FCU when clearly this is nothing to do with that department.

We'll send an acknowledgment to their letter and include a comment to the effect that we would consider negotiating a settlement so that we can show in court that we've tried every amicable solution.

The court claim is still going through tho and that clock is ticking.

Lloyds have filed an acknowledement, requested the full 28 days to prepare & allocated it to their solicitors - Martineau Johnson, 78 Cannon Street, London.

Although they are an "legit" solicitors the service address is that of an office bureux in london :lol:

t

Jolly good luck to you, we are going for them as soon as we can sort it all out. Up to £17K and still counting. They are real nasties. We are hoping they will chase us for overdraft which amount to same as charges. We are fed up with the bullying tactics they use. We're just a small family firm trying to make a living. There must be hundreds more out there like us.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you we have received a letter from their solicitors as follows...

".... The Bank will be defending these proceedings on the following grounds:

1 the fees that you are seeking to recoup are properly incorporated into your contract with the Bank. When opening your account you were provided with details of the banks charges and by using your account, you accept those charges; and

2 when you make a payment (whether by cheque, debit card or any other means) from your account when you have insufficient funds to cover it, you are effectively making a request to the bank for an increased overdraft. It is for the bank to decide whether or not to accept this request. If it meets your request, or indeed where the request is declined and the item is returned to your account you must pay the necessary charges. The issue of penalties only arises as a matter of law where there has been a breach of contract. No breach of contract has occurred between you and the bank; the bank is merely providing another service, for which there is a charge. The charges are not penalties and therefore need not be a pre-estimate of the banks loss.

3 The unfair contract terms act 1997 and the Unfair terms un consumer contracts regulations only apply to those contracting as consumers not business customers. s15 of the supply of goods and services act only applies where there is an implied term as to the consideration; there are specific terms concerning those charges, set out in the banks charging leaflet.

yours faithfully....."

Interesting choice of defence....

There is an additional dialogue underway to attempt to broker an out of court settlement which seems to be along the same lines as everyone else has been offered.

Did you get my pm suggesting that you contact me before you return the allocation questionnaire?

As mentioned an un-official dialogue has been continuing and the terms of an OOC settlement has been agreed - just waiting for all the processes to be completed so we can mark this one as settled

3 The unfair contract terms act 1997 and the Unfair terms un consumer contracts regulations only apply to those contracting as consumers not business customers. s15 of the supply of goods and services act only applies where there is an implied term as to the consideration; there are specific terms concerning those charges, set out in the banks charging leaflet.

They are quite correct. As a business account customer you should rely on the case law, not the UTCCR's.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

//sigh//

the UCTA would apply - you're correct that the UTCCA wouldn't apply but as i've touched on in this post and elsewhere the defense they submitted was riddled with errors & didn't actually tally up to the assertations made in our claim - this citation being a prime example.

This is all by the by though as it does all seem to be tied up now.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/05/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6583 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks