number plate BSU markings and postcode

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1079 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was pulled over today for speeding ,  I wasn't speeding but thats why he said I was stopped ,  Talked a bit and then he said he wasn't going to do me for speeding and then proceeded to check the whole car over ,  

Found noting up until he decided to write me a ticket for my numberplate not having the BSU markings and the postcode from where I bought them from ,  

I told him I have never heard of this and that the plates were bought online and thats how they come ,  Correct spacing and font but no markings ,  Very very petty but what's my chances in court for such pettiness ?

Thanks 

Two chances - none and slightly less than that.

All registration plates must conform to BS AU 145e. This says (among other things):

Supplying outlet’s details. The centre-bottom of the plate must include the supplier’s business name and postcode.

Component manufacturers' mark. All plates show the manufacturer name and BS AU 145e in the bottom right corner of the plate.

The supplier is also supposed to have sight of the vehicle's V5C and personal identification of the purchaser.

What year plate is the registration of the car?

What date were the plates manufactured?

( BS AU 145e is likely to apply, but if you can .show the plates only had to comply with  BS AU 145d you might have a route of appeal)

You paid £60 for two plates which are not even legal..................................

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Do you think I could get this added as a printed sticker rather than bin the £60 plates ?

I don't think so. The information is supposed to be incorporated as part of the manufacturing process.

Most of the providers who flout these regulations get away with it because they say that their produce is a "show plate." Those producing legal plates are registered with the DVLA and will insist on ownership documentation. Here's some FAQs from a legit supplier:

Frequently Asked Questions - UK Registrations (ukregplates.co.uk)

A couple of those questions and answers:

Do your number plates include your legal details? / Are your number plates road-legal?

All of our number plates feature the required legal markings. This means that the text "PLATE FINDER SM1 4NG" will be shown on the bottom centre of the plate and "BSAU 145d" will be shown on the bottom right of the plate. This text allows the relevant authorities to find out which company produced the number plates if required.

Do you require documentation?

As a DVLA registered number plate supplier, we have to request documents that prove your identity and that you can use the registration number. We understand this is a slight inconvenience, but do our best to ensure sending documents to us is made as simple as possible. Be aware of other suppliers that do not request these documents, as it may suggest the replacement number plates they are producing are not road legal. [my highlighting]

When sending in documents we require one of each of the following:

To confirm your identity

• driving licence
  • utility, Council Tax or rates bill from the last 6 months
  • bank or building society statement from the last 6 months
  • national identity card

To confirm you can use the registration

• vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)
  • new keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI)
  • of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number
  • retention document (V778) - not applicable in Northern Ireland
  • a renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
  • temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
  • a number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
  • an electronic number plate authorisation certificate (eV948)
  • a letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate

This is a link to the DVLA's register of authorised number plate suppliers:

Find your nearest number plate supplier - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

If you wanted street legal plates it seems you may have done your money.

Is the ticket a Fixed Penalty Notice fine that you have to pay now? At the moment  I don't believe you get any Points on your licence for number plate offences although there is a proposal to change this in future.

However petty you feel the police officer was he seems to be correct that your plates are non-compliant and he was entitled to give you a ticket. However much it has irritated you I can't see you have any defence in law so no point in taking it to court. 

Did you get given a notice instructing you to change the number plates within 14 days to  make them legal ? Sorry, can't remember proper name of a police ticket telling you do that, someone else here can probably tell me!

But in any case it appears they definitely aren't legal and you canot put a sticker on them, you'll have to get new plates that do comply with the law. You should do that asap before you meet another pernickety traffic police officer. You are supposed to get them only from a DVLA authorised number plate supplier  ===>  Find your nearest number plate supplier - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)  

You could possibly try to get your money back from the online seller if they said they complied with the law when they don't. That may not be easy. 

From memory I think all the regulations about only using dvla approved suppliers were brought in to make it harder for criminals to put false number plates on vehicles.

15 minutes ago, Ethel Street said:

Did you get given a notice instructing you to change the number plates within 14 days to  make them legal ? Sorry, can't remember proper name of a police ticket telling you do that, someone else here can probably tell me!

Someone can!

“Vehicle defect rectification notice”

https://www.gov.uk/stopped-by-police-while-driving-your-rights/faults-with-your-vehicle

• Thanks 1

Post 7

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can you make them road legal by placing a sticker on them with the relevant info? 

Just a thought...

I think you're somewhat missing the point of the BS marking. It is in place to denote that the plate has been made in accordance with the standard. If your idea was a runner, you could buy any rubbish you wanted to, stick the BS marking and a legitimate manufacturer's details on it and off you go! The regulations state that the plate must be manufactured to meet the standard, not that it must include a sticker to say that it has.

• Like 5