Council demand name of new owner to close Council Tax Account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have recently relocated and have requested closure of my council tax account. I completed all the necessary forms online to inform of the sale and request closure of account.

I have also been added to my partners Council Tax account as I have moved in with him.

They took about a month to get back to me saying they will only issue a refund if I provide the name of the new owner.

A few months have passed with very slow responses from them. They are unwilling to budge on this matter and restate that unless they get the name from me or my solicitor, they are not closing the account and that I remain "liable".

Would anyone know under what grounds they can "run up a debt" in my name even though I have provided all the information I am legally obliged to do?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum.

I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum , please continue to post here.

You say .....

They took about a month to get back to me saying they will only issue a refund if I provide the name of the new owner.

How can you be in credit with your council tax...did you not stop the direct debit at the date you informed them of your home sale ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hello freddiem, welcome to CAG!

Reading between the lines, whoever took over your previous property has not been so forthcoming about taking over the home. Given reference to a solicitor and completing sale forms, it looks like you sold the home rather than was renting?

At present, the council most likely view your old home as "empty". Most empty homes are actually subjected to normal council tax charges save for a few circumstances (e.g. person liable is in a care home, house is derelict).

Councils don't like empty homes, and they need to know who is ultimately liable for all houses in their area so they can make sure the right people are charged the right amount of council tax.

Any particular reason you don't wish to tell them the name of the new owner?

It might also help other Caggers who come along if you stated whereabouts in the UK you're based, as council tax rules can vary depending on where you are.

Any pearls of wisdom that I give on the CAG forums is based on previous experiences and knowledge I have gained from being on these forums.

Also if its the same council or different area and do you pay monthly or one payment hence the refund ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Good Sister / Andyorch

Thank you for the responses.

I sold the flat in Rochdale in February this year and moved to Scotland. I have been on my partners Council Tax since then. 

Didn't think to cancel the Direct Debit as just assumed that after supplying all the necessary information the account would have been closed. However they took the first payment for the 2021/2022 financial year.

They have now informed me that they have sent a request to the new owners asking for details. As they have not had a response they have stated they will keep my name on the bill. 

I did not have the details of the purchaser to pass on to the council at the time.

What date did they take the payment...you left in Feb......only March /April are payment free assuming you make 10 payments rather than 11/12, Year 2021 would start payment from April.

You need to send the Council proof that you sold the property as that should resolve this matter.

You should have confirmation of sale from your Solicitors, that you can send to the Council.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It's legitimate for the Council to require proof that you are no longer the owner or occupier of the flat but I don't believe a council is entitled to charge you CT unless you tell them who is the new owner. That's just a courtesy request, AFAIK you have no legal duty to identify the new owner. A letter from your conveyancing solicitor ought to be conclusive proof.

If they refuse to reimburse the CT charged since sale first follow their internal complaints procedure and then take it to the Local Government Ombudsman.