• Tweets

• I've just taken another look through the stuff they sent me in response to the CPR request, the notice of assignment isn't the original , it's on a plain sheet of non letterhead paper, in fact it could have easily been typed up by Overdales, or anybody really.  On the other side of the paper are standard Lowell terms and conditions that are only half on the page. Should this be part of my defence?
    • I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Backdoor Cabot CCJ - old Marbles Card Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. 

I have handed notice in on my current rental property and am just going through referencing on another property. 

As part of that process I contacted my old landlord to mention a reference request coming through and he informed me that I had a few bits of post, I turned up to collect them today and there was a court claim form from Mortimer Clarke Solicitors from April 7th relating to a credit card debt with Cabot/Marbles along with a judgement by default in favour of the claimant dated 28th April.

I have not lived at the property since Dec 2020 and can easily prove this but I don't know what I can do now and I'm afraid that Ive just made myself homeless at the end of the month as the rental application I completed specially asked about CCJs and I said no because I've never had one before.

I did previously have a marbles card which went to a default in 2018, I never provided the address that the claim was sent to although I did live there from Jan 2019 til Dec 2020. If they had sent it to the original address on the account or to my address on the credit file/electoral roll then I would have received it as it was to parents home or current residency.

I've just had notifications on clearscore and credit karma that a CCJ has been added so my initial reading that said if you paid the amount in full in 30 days then your credit file wouldn't be impacted seems to have been incorrect.

I understand I can pay £255 and provide a request for the judgement to be set aside but that seems a lot of money especially as I will probably end up paying up to avoid 6 years of a CCJ notice.

So couple of questions about this

- would the money paid to set aside the judgement go to the outstanding balance alleged or is it literally just for admin

- if I pay within 30 days and it is removed from my credit file will I still have to forever tick the box that says I have had a CCJ?

Grateful for any answers, as you can appreciate it's quite an unfortunate time...

• dx100uk changed the title to Backdoor Cabot CCJ - old Marbles Card Debt

pay it within 28 days and it will be removed totally and you need never mention it again.

you obv must have had statements or something from the original creditor going to that address.

though i wouldnt put it passed cabot to purposefully do it. esp after sending a letter of claim which you must have ignored too in their eyes.

you might have a reason to set aside the CCJ but you also need a defence for the debt itself and if you were paying this within 6yrs it cant be statute barred and unless it's a very old HFC marbles card and not a recent Newday one, i doubt there will be any enforcement errors with the agreement.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for the prompt response. I have several defaults from a time in my life when gambling got the best of me (thank goodness for Gamstop) and I've never given any of these creditors this particular address, they all catch up with me eventually through credit tracing I presume as they normally send a message joyfully letting me know that they have found my new details.

I get a lot of letters about these debts and they all normally threaten something and do nothing, it's been that way for years, the last I heard about this particular account the debt was owned by Moorcroft. After having a blemish free credit file for coming up to three years I thought I was making progress and this has really set me back.

As you say then pretty much my only option is to pay this debt in full within 30 days and hope to goodness that the timing hasn't impacted my new rental property. 

Do you know offhand how quickly they get removed, if I were to pay first thing Tuesday and then notify the court? 

moorcroft done buy debts so were only chasing for their stated client.

you should never run from debt ...end of sorry

always without fail inform your debt owners of your current and correct address in writing or an address whereby you know you will promptly get mail and never ignore a letter of claim.

there is no alternative than to pay it within 28days from the date of judgement, the creditor cabot will inform the court and the CCJ will be removed but that might now happen until the next update which might not be quick.

for a small fee a believe you can get a certificate of satisfaction from the court once the claimant confirms payment

that might help you rent application if it not removed by the time of the search they will do.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I don't consider that i 'ran away from debt' and if they had mailed to my address linked to that account ie the last address i gave them or the address available on my credit file at the time of escalation to court activity, then i would have received it and been able to defend myself.

They chose either deliberately or through negligence to send it to an address that i didn't reside at, they also have my email address, why can't this be a part of the moneyclaim service so i would have been notified. It's scandalous how this system works when its so easy to link a person by council tax bills / PAYE / credit file.

Also, If these types of companies didn't continually harass people with threatening letters every month then maybe people like myself would be more proactive in the communications.

Sadly that is exactly how DCA's work and that is exactly what their industry was set up for.. to make money, by hook or by crook using every legal loophole possible...and after some 50yrs, they are very good at it. Some 750'000 roboclaims are issued through northants bulk court each year, whereby no human ever sees or checks anything that results in a default judgement one-way or another, either by ignorance on behalf of the debtor or address update failure.

Although a DCA has absolutely ZERO legal powers and are NOT bailiffs, the situation and complaints about 'questionable' Default judgements was allowed over decades to get out of hand. Eventually In 2015  the Pre Action Protocol was introduced but that failed too.

Your only part in their debt buying game as a debtor is to always inform, in writing, whomever owns your debt, knows your correct and current address, once you've done that they can safety be ignore until or unless you get a letter of claim.

and they