• Tweets

• It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell and Cabot

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Send both Cabot and Lowell a one paragraph note stating that all further letters from them regarding this matter will be ignored as they are in default of their statutory obligations.

Preface this paragraph with a comment that identifies you with the matter in question and put in a line that states clearly you do not acknowledge any debt to them or any compnay they may claim to represent.

I would be tempted not to put a stamp on the letters but then again that might be churlish and stooping to their level of incompetance.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.

Thanks for the mixed messages!!!!

I would like to contact Cabot to say that i'm aware that they can't chase this anymore, and that i want them to leave me alone, so i will write them a short letter stating this.

I will also write to the OFT on principle. I'm aware that the letter to them might be ignored, but at least i will have done my bit. Could we not do a petition or something about these companies to the OFT?

I haven't heard a thing from Lowell at all since i wrote to them saying that i don't acknowledge any debt - so should i send the letter to them too or is that digging up old ground, or do you think they;re just sitting and waiting for me to think it's all over????

I'd like them to know that i want them to write to me and say they won't be chasing me anymore.

Do you reckon people from Cabot read these forums and tictac our tactics?

PS i will stamp the letter, although i don't really want to!!!

And the whole point of my pushing the debt collection guidance notes on everyone (sorry people!:D ) is that every complaint counts. The OFT won't heave itself out of its pram for the odd dribble here and there, but if everyone on here complained to them every time a DCA contravenes the guidelines, they'd have to sit up and take notice.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Hi

I've sent a letter to ' Cabot Financial Holdings Group Limited and their subsidiary and Associcated companies within that group, including but not restricted to Cabot Financial (Europe)Limited and Kingshill No1 Limited' to say that i will ignore all their letters because they are in default of their statutory obligations etc etc. I've said i don;t know who they are or eacknowledge a debt to them, and they haven't provided me with this information when requested so i can do anything more about it etc etc

I have also informed them that i will be reporting them to the OFT, MP and FT - I have a draft letter ready, just need to make some final amendments and check information is 100% right before i send it. ( I know a few of you said they wouldn't care - so even if they don't care, they know i'm doing it).

I hope i haven't done the wrong thing here, i thought about it rationally, and i hope that this will lead to the end result of them leaving me alone. I can't see how they can continue when all evidence now shows that they have defaulted and the problem is now theirs and not mine.

Fingers crossed for me.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm really sorry folks but i haven't complained to the OFT yet. My system has gone loopy and I can't find my draft letter (but i don't think it was very good anyway!) - does anyone have one or know of a template which I could use to send to the OFT/MP etc please? I don't really know how to word my complaint without going round the houses or sounding like a dimwit!:o

I did send a letter to Cabot and so far I haven't received anything back from them. (I'm predicting that the day I'm satisfied that this is over, that a nasty letter or worse will land on my doorstep!). I don't think its fair of me to tell them that i've filed a complaint when I've not YET!

I still haven't heard a thing from Lowell, about their alleged debt, since writing to them with an SAR in Nov/Dec last year.

Thanks

Oh and Providian are a doorstep lender, they're behind the Vanquis (40% interest credit card) and the wonderful and defunct Yes Car Credit. They're an enormous company with an interesting ethos.

Yes In the states they 'lost' payments allowing them to add penalty charges. A DA in their home town threatened to arrest their CEO.

Hi JonCris

Thanks for that information, they're really scary in their tactics to get moeny aren't they!

I've started a thread in the car finances section - called Yes-Manches about this situation. I was advised to go on www.saynotoyes.co.uk, and have been given some really useful advice from there. I'm using the same name skintandbroke, but two situations are possible - the one that I want the most is that I'm able to claim over 3k back from them. Read my posts on there.

I'd advise anyone to look at www.saynotoyes.co.uk if they've got problems.

Cheers

Skinty

does anyone know who Lowell Portfolio 1 Limited are? rec'd a threat of a CCCJ in court in 3 days this morning. I am sure I recently wrote to Capitol One but had no reply to my CCA request and it could be this.

sent a CCA request, reply from Lowell was we have to ask Capital One for the info, lette from Capital state they have sold the account to Lowell Group and they will be in touch.

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

Lowell have committed an offence if they bought the debt and had no paperwork. They cannot chase your for money without proof you owe them any otherwise I could write to you and ask for money, but you won't pay me will you?:D If they don't come up with ALL the right paperwork in the time frame, then ask them for any money you have paid them back.

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I've got good news and bad news.....

The good news: Lowell removed Default off my partners Experian credit report after one letter to them!

The bad news.......

After checking my partners credit report we discovered that Cabot/Kingshill had placed TWO defaults on his record. We had in the past written to them about one, but were completely unaware about there being another on there until we checked. I wrote to them stating how surprised I was that there were TWO as we were trying to receive information on one and didn't know there was another on there.

About 2 weeks ago I wrote to Kingshill / Cabot and all their other trading names and asked them to remove the defaults from the account. I had written to them on the 21st November 2006 with an SAR and received this response:

"28th November 2006

We have today contacted Providan National Bank to investigate your query, and hope to resolve this matter swiftly.

Although we anticipate a reply within the next 21 days, it can take up to 8 weeks if the information we require has been archived, and we therefore request your understanding in this matter."

I wrote back to them after the 8 weeks had passed and informed them that as they hadn't responded to me with the information, they have committed an offence and would have to go through a judge to pursue this debt - and then i heard nothing until I asked them to remove the default. Also, we don't know anything about Providan National Bank.

The letter i received today says:

"18th April 2007

We can confirm that we have two accounts in your name. The above account is a ****Store Card and we wrote to you on the 24th July 2006. They did -wanting our address history since Jan 2000. We enclose a further copy of this letter for your information. They have - with the 18th April 2007 typed and crossed out and 24 Jul 2006 scribbled in pen instead. We can also confirm that today we have requested a copy of the application form for this account. Shouldn't thay have done this when i asked for an SAR back in November?

The other account, ref*****, is a Providan Credit Card. We have no record of any SAR. No - because we didn't know this debt exisited or was on the credit record! However, you did write to us on the 21st November asking us for a copy of the application form and statements. Yes - i wrote to them about the other account because we didn't know this one existed! These were ordered and a holding letter sent to you on the 28th November 2006. Yes - one that stated 8 weeks, not 5 months! We have received a copy of the application form and we enclose a copy for your information."

So, the application form does have my partners signature on, and is dated 9th March 2000. But that's all there is - no statements etc, so all they can prove right now is that an account was opened with providan, but we have no proof of any debt.

What can i do now please? Is it fair that they take 5 months to respond to something which they really only have 42 days to do? Shall i write to them and ask for statements ?

The first account that they refer to they said is a store card that they say was last paid in December 2000 but they said it was used again in July 2004. Why would a company allow you to use a card 4 years after it was last used/paid?

I'm happy enough to go through the proceedings again asking for statements etc, but why should I when they should have this infomation ready when they are sending the nasty letters.

When does the 6 year rule apply from in relation to these accounts?

The first was defaulted on 26th November 2001 and the other 29th June 2001.

Any help is much appreciated.

Just to mention that Providan Nation Bank which targets C & B consumers was threatened with prosecution & the CEO imprisoment by the DA in it's home state when it was discovered that they where alledegly 'losing' payments in order to apply penalty charges.......Nice folk

When does the 6 year rule apply from in relation to these accounts?

The first was defaulted on 26th November 2001 and the other 29th June 2001.

Any help is much appreciated.

If no payments or acknowledgment of the debt has taken place since default, it is six years from the date of the default. Otherwise it is from when the last payment was made.

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

Thanks,

So effectively the defaults should be removed as we have never acknowledged these debts, and according to them the last payment for one was made in December 2000.

Is there an easy place to find leislation info on this so i can quote it to them in my letter?

Cheers

There is the statue of limitations 1980.

But you could just check your credit file. Neither default should still be there

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

I've emailed Experian to see what they can do for me.

I would still apprciate some help on my queries with the Cabot letter though - see post #61 please.

Thanks for your help tbern, i've added it to my draft letter to Cabot.

• 4 weeks later...

Not Cabot!

There's Scots Law, English Law, Civil Law, Criminal Law, Murphys Law? but no such thing as Cabot Law. At least not outside the county of West Malling.

Statute barred is from last payment or written acknowledgement by you.

He didn't come looking for trouble, but trouble came looking for him.

When the smoke clears, it just means he's reloading.