Lowther street car park WON at POPLA?? Now DR Plus....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 752 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This was easier than I thought!

P.S. Is it just me or is the facility to edit your posts and add extra docs etc, not working?

Initial Parking withdrawal of appeal .pdf

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Must be something they didn't want to be seen, like pants signage

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Yep, not so smug now, threw the towel in before it even began.....

Parking charge notice does not state which Lowther street car park in the UK it is referring to. There is no signage at the entrance to the car park to state that it is private property.

There are no terms and conditions (T&C's) at either of the pay points.

Terms and conditions signage is positioned out of sight at the rear of the car park positioned too high for customers to read.

The second T&C's is positioned at the exit.

The driver did not accept the offer of the contract as they failed to pay and were therefore trespassing.

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for all the reporting back. 

Very interesting, as we would normally have said not to appeal.  All this info. will be very useful for anyone else who comes up against this company. 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• FTMDave changed the title to Initial Parking Lowther Street Carlisle ***Won at POPLA***

No worries at all.

For the record and others, I appealed as Mr Registered Keeper, firstly to the cowboy parking company, and then to POPLA once the PPC had conducted their ''extensive'' investigation to my appeal, which took them three & a half minutes from appeal to their decision.

It stands to reason that this PPC in particular instance, DOES NOT investigate your appeal, their system is set up to respond to all appeals with a refusal and POPLA code, which when you appeal to POPLA costs the PPC money.

Edited by Bazooka Boo

• 2 months later...

If anyone wants a good laugh at this ''independant appeals service'' read right on, they also requested some customer feedback, they got that in bucketloads, what a corrupt industry it still is.

Decision
Unsuccessful
Assessor Name
Alexandra Roby
Assessor summary of operator case

The operator’s case is that the motorist did not pay for their parking.

Assessor summary of your case

The appellant’s case is that the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) does not state which Lowther Street Car Park in the UK it is referring to.

The appellant states there is no signage at the entrance to the car park to advise that it is private property. They advise there are no signs at either of the payment machines.

They state that the signs are positioned out of sight at the rear of the car park and are too high up to read.

They advise there is another sign positioned at the exit to the car park.

The appellant states that the driver did not accept the offer of the parking contract as they failed to pay and were therefore trespassing.

The appellant has provided two images of the site to support their appeal.

Assessor supporting rational for decision

In this case, the driver of the vehicle on the day in question is unknown. As such, the operator has successfully transferred liability from the driver to the keeper of the vehicle, in accordance with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. For the avoidance of doubt, I am assessing XXXXXXXXX liability for the PCN.

When parking in a private car park, the motorist forms a contract with the operator by remaining on the land for a reasonable period.

The signage at the site sets out the terms and conditions of this contract. In this specific car park, the terms and conditions state: “Parking tariffs apply. Up to 2 hours…£2.00. These tariffs do apply to Blue Badge Holders Failure to comply with the terms & conditions will result in a Parking Charge of: £100”.

The operator has issued the PCN as the motorist did not pay for their parking. Images from the operator’s Automatic Number Plate Recognition system have been provided, which show that the vehicle entered the car park at 11:59 and exited at 13:24 on the day in question, staying for a total of one hour and 24 minutes. A copy of its payment report has also been provided, showing that the motorist did not pay to park. In response, the appellant has disputed the adequacy of the signage.

The appellant has provided photographs to support this. Section 19.3 of the British Parking Association Code of Practice advises to private parking operators: “Specific parking-terms signage tells drivers what your terms and conditions are, including your parking charges. You must place signs throughout the site, so that drivers are given the chance to read them at the time of parking or leaving their vehicle… signs must be conspicuous, and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand”.

In response to this ground of appeal, the operator has provided photographic evidence of the signage at the site, along with a site map demonstrating the distribution of the signs throughout the site. Having reviewed this, I am satisfied that the signage is sufficient to bring the site’s terms and conditions to the attention of motorists and consider that the motorist was presented with a reasonable opportunity to review them before deciding whether to park.

I can see that there is indeed an entrance sign advising that the car park is private land, and I consider that the signs are located higher up so they can be seen over parked cars. While I acknowledge the appellant’s images of the site, I do not consider them to be an accurate representation of the signage displayed throughout as they appear to have been taken from online mapping tools. I further note that the appellant has advised the motorist did not accept the parking contract, however by choosing to park, I am satisfied they did.

Furthermore, I acknowledge that the appellant has stated that the PCN does not state which specific street in the UK it was issued in, however this does not affect its validity. The motorist will be aware of which car park they parked in. By parking at the site without having paid, the motorist has failed to comply with its terms and conditions. For the reasons outlined above, the appeal is refused.

P.S. For all of the reasons outlined by Alexandra Roby, their opinion is ignored.

I'm a bit confused BB.

You won at POPLA, yet what you've posted seems to be all biased and against you.  Who does this Alexandra Roby work for?

Yes I'm a bit miffed too??

When I appealed to POPLA, Initial Parking where very quick to pull the plug and withdraw their invoice, and the email I had from POPLA stated as much.

SO I'm not at all certain why they have continued to ''investigate'' something which doesn't need investigating?

Now, I've changed address, are PPC's like DCA's and issue claims via the back coor? Do I need to let this husband and wife team know my new address?

Well, you should let anyone that you're in legal dispute with know your change of address.

As for this lot - not sure.  On the one hand POPLA say your appeal is uncontested, on the other they find against you!  Maybe it's worth contacting them and asking what the situation is with your appeal because all they've done so far is confused you?  Just to be sure.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

This has reared it's ugly again, must be short of friends at xmas?

This has already been to POPLA where Initial Parking withdrew their appeal, but POPLA then found in their favour some how?? And now these jokers have kicked my cage, I wouldn't have given them the time of day, but I have had to contact them to give them my new address albeit by email as they're shut?

So I'm looking forward to ringing them on Monday to hammer home I won't be paying them a penny and to ensure I have it on record they have my new address.

Ruddy fleecers, god only knows where they added the extra £70 quid from? must be the unicorn tax,

2021-11-21 DR+ Pay Now - Letter from abigail.pdf

Frankly I would find out where the error is an for instance if they have on file in fact that you won your appeal but there still chasing you, then I think I would be after them on a data protection issue for the distress they are causing.

Did you ever get any explanation from POPLA BB about their confusing behaviour?

Threads merged.

Edited by FTMDave
Extra info added

No FTM, completely slipped my mind, I will look into it next week and try and bottom it out, if nothing else it will give me something to do.

(Thanks for the merge)

Edited by Bazooka Boo

I am surprised that POPLA found that your appeal had failed when Initial's response to the appeal had been withdrawn. There was no need for them to adjudicate. POP.LA should have agreed that you had won your appeal. I wonder if Initial  knew something that you and obviously POPLA didn't. 

Ignore DRP.

I was going to advise  you  write to Initial stating that as they had withdrawn their PCN on appeal so if DRP were acting on instructions from Initial they have breached your GDPR. However on second thoughts you may be best to send them a SAR first to get confirmation that they had withdrawn their claim before going for the breach.

Edited by lookinforinfo

Forgot to add the second scan of their missive, it is very easy to see why, using the language they do, that others fall for their lies and simply cough up.

2021-11-21 DR+ Pay Now - Letter from abigail.pdf

OK.

Had a good conversation with Mark at POPLA.

He has no idea nor can he find any reason as to why I have in front of me a screen dump of Initial Parking 'withdrawing' their appeal.

He says they didn't withdraw their appeal which is why they carried out their ''assessment'' and found in the PPC's favour, hence DR Plus (who I spoke to also to update my address details) sending me a begging letter.....don't you just love the season of goodwill!!

DR+ are irrelevant as it's not their debt.  You need to write (not phone) to Initial Parking and tell them you've moved, otherwise you could end up with a backdoor CCJ some time next year.  Get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.

So POPLA have messed up big time then.

I think you should send an sar to POPLA also just in case there has been some skullduggery going on.

According to the POPLA notice you first received, Initial had withdrawn their PCN and don't appear to have provided POPLA with their appeal.

You know not to contact Abigale don't you?

That is a terribly biased letter from her and worth a complaint to the ICO as misrepresenting the situation.

She says her goal is to get you a fair outcome when she is not offering you anything of the sort. All she is doing is pushing you to accept what she has said and pay up.

She has not offered a discount of any sort and appears to think the car park signage is ok and Initial observes all relevant legislation

• Like 2

Am going to spend an hour now completing letters of complaint and a letter to IP as you suggested, although I do have their email confirming they have updated my address, but belt and braces.

TY!

Spoken to the ICO and it isn't something they deal with as the misinformation isn't about me, it's just false statements.

So I'm going to try the FCA....

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

Your case was withdrawn by the parking operator, and therefore the Parking Charge Notice should have been cancelled. Our involvement in your case has now ended, however if the operator is continuing to pursue you for the charge, you may wish to lodge a complaint with the British Parking Association at: https://www.britishparking.co.uk/contact

Kind regards,

POPLA Team

Yesterday they said it hadn't been cancelled???

Sent them a SAR, complained to the BPA, and kicked the cat.