• Tweets

• Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
    • deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx  
    • Well tbh that’s good news and something she can find out for herself.  She has no intention of peace.  I’m going to ask the thread stays open a little longer.   It seems she had not learned that I am just not the one!!!!  plus I have received new medical info from my vet today.   To remain within agreement, I need to generally ask for advice re:  If new medical information for the pup became apparent now - post agreement signing, that added proof a second genetic disease (tested for in those initial tests in the first case but relayed incorrectly to me then ), does it give me grounds for asking a court to unseal the deed so I can pursue this new info….. if she persists in being a pain ? If generally speaking, a first case was a cardiac issue that can be argued as both genetic and congenital until a genetic test is done and then a second absolute genetic only disease was then discovered, is that deemed a new case or grounds for unsealing? Make sense ?   This disease is only ever genetic!!!!   Rather more damning and indisputable proof of genetic disease breeding with no screening yk prevent.   The vet report showing this was uploaded in the original N1 pack.   Somehow rekeyed as normal when I was called with the results.   A vet visit today shows they were not normal and every symptom he has had reported in all reports uploaded from day one are related to the disease. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

VCS/ELMS PCN PAPLOC now Claimform - residential - Headford Mews, Sheffield, S3 7XL

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here is the WS again.  in blue I've added some phrases to clarify or beef up some points, and made some suggestions.

What you've prepared is superb, it just needed to be put in the right order.

WITNESS STATEMENT(3).pdf

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Again, the points you had prepared were excellent, they just needed to be grouped into a logical order.

The WS will probably need just about an hour's work to finish.  It's just a matter of (a) adding the points the regulars have suggested from post 142 onwards and (b) redoing the numbering as I've royally knackered that for you :sorry:l

I've just added another couple of points re Supremacy of Contract and Absent Ambreen.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I have realised that the signs I was referring to were on Google maps dated 2015. And while the signs may well have been updated by  VCS nevertheless the signs did include the Clearway sign which relates to the Road Traffic signs. That does not give VCS the right therefore to penalise motorists on non relevant land.

• Like 1

Well spotted lookedinfor info, Clearway sign trumps anything VCS might add.

• Thanks 1

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

thank you for above but sadly i have no idea what that means, even after googling it

FTMDave, thanks , ive just about got it cracked however this confuses me

(Quote the persuasive cases BN posted about in post 164. Include the pages from the Parking Prankster's blog as exhibits)

I have no proof that excel sent the first ticket, and im confused about the parking pranksters blog

Thanks

a private parking company cannot put up nor enforce clearway signs,

clearway signs can only be erected by the owner of the land and enforced under any relevant road traffic regulations that cover them or the relevant airport byelaws they have introduced.

no stupid parking contractor regardless to the contract wording can ever be a traffic regulatory authority.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

IMO the Excel argument is probably the weakest part of your WS but it's the truth so still include it.  You've beefed it up by adding how Excel have refused to reply to your SAR, as have I by including how VCS's solicitors sent you all the documentation except mysteriously the VCS PCN.  However, I would guess that a judge would decide it's more likely than unlikely that you made a mistake and not consider this point.

But it doesn't really matter.  You have about a million other points going for you and you only have to convince the judge on one and then it's curtains for Simon.

One of your aces is Supremacy of Contract, especially as you included it in your defence (good work).  Ambreen "should" have made up lies to counter this but as VCS do everything on the cheap she's been too lazy to read your defence properly and hasn't addressed the issue at all.  As you have her WS first you can go to town on her!  You need to quote "C8HW3P0T – UKPC v Miss B, before District Judge Jones, 12/05/2017" using the legal term "persuasive case" and state that in this case the judge found that the person occupying the property had moved in way before the PPC got involved and their tenancy agreement gave them every right to use their parking space as they wished.  Then in the persuasive case "C8HW2E9Q – UKPC v Miss C, Reading before District Judge Harrison, 12/07/2017" the judge found that the tenant could derogate parking rights to visitors.  Print out the articles BN found  https://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2017/05/ukpc-lose-residential-case-will-vicim.html  and  https://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2017/07/ukpc-lose-residential-case-tenant-can.html  and include them as exhibits.

Those cases should indicate that the VCS case is absolute pants.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• 2 weeks later...

By royal mail  post to the court and their sols

Unless you are near the court to drop it in

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

When you have a revised version post it up here before sending it off.

I got the info back from DVLA today, shows that VCS accessed my details in December and not Excel. Could have sworn blind it was a letter from Excel

Do i print and post a copy of WS to the court, VCS have no solicitor acting for them

Thanks

I don't think you're wrong.  Why else would you have thought up the word "Excel"?  Plus the PCN was missing when the solicitors replied to your CPR request.  Excel have not replied to your SAR.

Send Simple Simon's copy by 2nd class post (get a free Certificate of Posting).  You can e-mail the court theirs (again, get a receipt).

But please post your WS up here before sending.

yours to both

and they

Excellent stuff

might be worth adding after

"attend a contracted job" in my professional capacity as a ***** It sets the stall out as definitely a work scenario as well, as it would also be right and proper if a taxi driver, parked in that allocated space

in order to pick up the disabled occupant of that property, or a delivery driver delivering to that one as well.

Again I woul let the others have a look and see if anything else pops outas helpful.

• Like 1

That looks really good.

The paragraphs need to be numbered, but as it was me who knackered the numbering I suppose I should sort it out!  I promise to do so late this evening.  That gives the chance to others to pop in and comment. 

What's the deadline for sending it off?

OK, I've put the numbers back in and seen to some typos.  I've also made some changes which you may or not agree with, so -

3.  I've added BN's suggestion.

12.  I've cut out "I have now been supplied with PCN from VCS".  Don't do VCS's work for them.  Exhibit 2 should be the stuff you got from the solicitor which did not include the PCN.

29 & 31.  Yesterday EL21 wrote a wonderful WS and I've added a couple of their ideas here to beef up the points.

41.  I've added a 41 since new info. about VCS has come up in recent weeks.

You need to sort out the exhibit numbers.

I see your hearing is at the end of November, so need to send off just yet, others may have comments.

WITNESS STATEMENT Emma Oct 21 Redacted(1).pdf

Hideyspidey

I am so sorry to have confused you in my post 180. It was intended for another poster!

Clearway signs are not relevant in your case and so you should delete it from your WS.

However you can argue that the Privacy notice on your windscreen was a non compliant Notice to Driver so the Notice to keeper should not have arrived before 28 days had elapsed. Therefore they cannot transfer the paying of the alleged debt to the keeper as the NTK was non compliant.

If the Judge does not agree with the Privacy notice being a NTD and the NTK arrived within the 14 days you can still complain that it is not compliant with PoFA for another reason which I will deal with tomorrow.

In order for an NTK to be compliant it has to comply with PoFA. If it is not compliant then the keeper cannot be held liable for the PCN. 

I have included the wording from S8 though  s9 is identical in the part I have copied below. You will see that at the beginning  "The Notice  'must' " which in Law means the wording  is to be stictly observed

(2)The notice must—

(a)specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;

(b)inform the keeper that the driver is required to pay parking charges in respect of the specified period of parking and that the parking charges have not been paid in full;

(c)state that a notice to driver relating to the specified period of parking has been given and repeat the information in that notice as required by paragraph 7(2)(b), (c) and (f);

(d)if the unpaid parking charges specified in that notice to driver as required by paragraph 7(2)(c) have been paid in part, specify the amount that remains unpaid, as at a time which is—

(i)specified in the notice to keeper, and

(ii)no later than the end of the day before the day on which the notice is either sent by post or, as the case may be, handed to or left at a current address for service for the keeper (see sub-paragraph (4));

(e)state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper—

(i)to pay the unpaid parking charges; or

(ii)if the keeper was not the driver of the vehicle, to notify the creditor of the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and to pass the notice on to the driver;

(f)warn the keeper that if, at the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to keeper is given—

(i)the amount of the unpaid parking charges (as specified under paragraph (c) or (d)) has not been paid in full, and

(ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver,

the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid;

(g)inform the keeper of any discount offered for prompt payment and the arrangements for the resolution of disputes or complaints that are available;

(h)identify the creditor and specify how and to whom payment or notification to the creditor may be made;

(i)specify the date on which the notice is sent (if it is sent by post) or given (in any other case).

If you compare that with the NTK you were sent you will see that your one does not include  "   (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) "

Your NTK also states that if you don't pay the £100 that you will be liable for debt collection charges up to £60. this contradicts section 4 of PoFA where it covers the right of the parking crooks to pursue motorists

[5] (5)The maximum sum which may be recovered from the keeper by virtue of the right conferred by this paragraph is the amount specified in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(c) or (d) or, as the case may be, 9(2)(d) (less any payments towards the unpaid parking charges which are received after the time so specified).

So their NTK is non compliant in two places. 

In any event Ambreen is wrong to declare that if they cannot pursue the keeper than they can assume that the keeper was the driver. The court will not entertain that idea -VCS need to provide strict proof that the keeper is the driver.

So despite Ambreen claiming that they can proceed against the keeper she is wrong. [17,18 and !9 of her WS].

They quote Parking Eye v Beavis   [22] which is irrelevant since that was a free car park and yours is a residential parking space covered by a lease which VCS cannot overturn.

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx