DWP Letter Saying I Owe £2078 - Tax Credits Overpayment From 2013 - UC Overpayment from 2021

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 148 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As you said they dont help with how the debt came about but they agreed to take £15 a month for 12 months instead of the £102. So that's a massive help indeed. 

I was told to call the overpayments helpline and tell them i want to dispute this debt. So i will call them next and see what they say. 

Many thanks for your wonderful help ;)

Guys Im really furious.

Im just off of the phone after talking to some useless advisor who could not do anything to help me.

I gave him as much detailed information as i could because i know exactly what went wrong.

I argued the toss in every way i could but i just kept on getting the same answer.

I have been told that every possible avenue has been exhausted and there is nothing he can do to help.

He said It was 7 years ago and so time has run out to do anything more about his debt.

His advice was go onto the Gov website and search for 'mandatory reconsideration not upheld'.

He repeated himself so many times but also advised i go and speak to my local MP or CAB.

I really dont know what to do next. 

The fact they held back crucial voice calls from the SAR kind of speaks volumes.

• 2 years later...

Good Evening guys.

I got this letter through from the DWP debt centre saying i owe £2078. As an estimate £1200 of this is Tax Credit overpayments from 2013 and about £878 is UC overpayments from 2021. I have called the debt centre and agreed to pay £10 a month, i have a lot of debt at the moment and i can't afford to pay any more.

The woman at the debt centre said i can call DWP and HMRC separately and ask for a mandatory reconsideration on both debts. The woman from CAB told me the same thing. Is this true am i still able to ask for these mandatory reconsiderations or has too much time passed?

Regarding my Tax credits overpayment these are from 2013.

I did dispute these many years ago, i was sure that i had done the 2 phases of the dispute and it was unsuccessful, then i went to the tax credits adjudicator, they said that i had not done the 2 phases with HMRC and i was refused,

I went back and tried to dispute again with HMRC, then i went back to the adjudicator and i was refused for a second time, i can't remember the reason exactly.

The most galling thing is that there was one vital phone call missing from the SAR audio data that i received, i had called immediately to report a new job with higher earnings, this was the bit of information that caused my claim to be overpaid, they made a huge blunder and that bit of evidence that was missing from the cds. i could not prove i did make that vital phone call.

Regarding the UC overpayments i have no idea what happened there i will need to ask them what exactly caused this so called overpayment.

What is my next steps guys are these debts anything that can be challenged? ;)

yes they must prove the debts.

goto the hmrc website - fill out their sar.

goto the dwp website - fill out their sar 

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

with regards to hmrc - am i able to challenge this debt even after previously going down the SAR, dispute and adjudicator? I still have the original SAR.

I will request the SAR on the dwp site. 

I think the fact that hmrc withheld vital information in the SAR, that alone should give you a valid reason to challenge them again. ;) 

I have requested the SAR on the dwp site.

with regards to hmrc

- am i able to challenge this debt even after previously going down the SAR, dispute and adjudicator?

I still have the original SAR.

i would contest each.

if they are so sure of themselves why has HMRC done nothing regarding enforcing payment in all these years.

• Like 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

not sure

dx

• Like 1

and they