Working pattern vs Contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just a quick question really,   I have been working a set pattern of shifts for over a year now, actually closer to two years.  This involves working 8.5 hours Mon to Fri then 5 hours on a Thursday and 7 on a Friday.  I was asked if I wouldn't minding changing to another shift on the 8.5 hour days.  I knew the shifts were shorter by 30 mins but agreed to do them,  when I got my rota they actually decided to make each shift 90 mins shorter.  My manager has told me that my contract is over-riding and I have to take the loss.   Morally this is wrong as they asked me to do them a favour and secondly I am used to earning a certain amount of money and I cannot afford to lose these hours.   I have now asked to go back to my working pattern as I am hurt by this both financially and emotionally,  I guess the lesson is don't do anyone a favour.  They have put me back to the original shifts but I still have to take the loss for the meantime.  Where do I stand legally as this is an unreasonable amount of change to my working pattern?  Does the contract win out or does the pattern that I have been on for nearly two years?

What is in your original employment contract ?

And what has been agreed in regard to work hours, that has been confirmed in writing ?

Contract is likely to win out, as it will usually  state basic contract hours, days/hours that the business needs to have staff available and a wording to say that your specific days/hours will be advised based on the needs of the business.

You need to read the contract carefully, also every letter/email that has been sent to you regarding days/hours and if you have a staff handbook on employment issues, then look at that as well.

I would be very surprised if your employers had issued you with contract that agreed to the days/hours that you wanted as a fixed arrangement.

You could contact ACAS for more advice on this, but they will most likely say that without all of the contract paperwork in front of them. that it would be difficult to advise.

Trade Union ?  If not a member,  may be worth joining. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread