• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Nan V A&L! **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, its been a while but I actually managed to post the first letter to A&L for my Nan on Monday.. their 14 days to respond is up on 19th March.. will keep this updated.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]C [COLOR=black]& [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]D :) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC[/B][COLOR=#000000]- Full settlement received & spent! £1,477.93 :-) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=mediumturquoise][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC claim 2![/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - Full settlement offer received 27/06 - £1,116 :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]A&L[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] (for my Nan) - full settlement received on day of prelim hearing - approx £1500 :-)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Halifax[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - full settlement received 30/06 - £2576! :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Barclays[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - Court forms were due to be submitted but he wants to wait for results of the court case with OFT[/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000000][B][COLOR=mediumturquoise]A&L[/COLOR][/B] - (for a friend) - court forms submitted - claim 'stayed' due to OFT case[/COLOR][/FONT]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi C&D, I know you have already sent your nan's letter to start the claim, but it might be helpful to us if you posted on here what A&L actually listed the £8, £10 & £25 charges for, (put simply - what did they call them?). :cool:

Hi

On the statements they were called 'monthly overdraft charge' and then the period the charge related too.

My nan received a letter yesterday with the standard we arent paying you the money back.. the next letter will be in the post to them by Tuesday!

C

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]C [COLOR=black]& [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]D :) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC[/B][COLOR=#000000]- Full settlement received & spent! £1,477.93 :-) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=mediumturquoise][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC claim 2![/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - Full settlement offer received 27/06 - £1,116 :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]A&L[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] (for my Nan) - full settlement received on day of prelim hearing - approx £1500 :-)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Halifax[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - full settlement received 30/06 - £2576! :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Barclays[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - Court forms were due to be submitted but he wants to wait for results of the court case with OFT[/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000000][B][COLOR=mediumturquoise]A&L[/COLOR][/B] - (for a friend) - court forms submitted - claim 'stayed' due to OFT case[/COLOR][/FONT]

Just looking at the templates and I cant seem to find a letter in response to A&L saying they will not pay the money back.. the 3rd letter says 'i am disapointed that you havent replied to my letter' but they have.... Am I missing it somewhere or should i just re-word that one?

C

Thanks Michael, thats what I figured. So after that is sent, they have 14 days and if no response, we send court forms? I have won with HSBC but they never reponded to say they wouldnt re-pay which is why i got stuck.

Cheers :-)

Hello.

LBA received by A&L today.. 14 days up on 27th / 28th March - if no response, I will have the court forms ready to go....

C

Hello. Meant to say previously that my nan's letter from A&L said we arent paying you the money back as the charges that the OFT refer to are 'only' for credit card payments.... they must think we are stupid!! Anyway, they have until end of the month to respond or I'm off to the county court.. I will get this money back for her!!

Thanks Michael but I am going to take the claim to the courts in person as thats what I did when I claimed against HSBC.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Court forms taken to the county court on Friday 30th March..

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Court sent forms to A&L 11th April, notice deemed to have been served 13th April. They have until 27th April to acknowledge.

Will update when we hear anything...

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Letter received from court to advise A&L have acknowledged and have 28 days (from 19th April) to submit defence..

Also received letter from A&L advising they fully intend to defend..

I know this is scare tactics but it actually worked on my Nan, she was panicking thinking she had to go to court, just shows that some people would give up.. but not us!!

Will update if / when we hear anything else.

C

Update:

Letter received from court to advise A&L have acknowledged and have 28 days (from 19th April) to submit defence..

Also received letter from A&L advising they fully intend to defend..

I know this is scare tactics but it actually worked on my Nan, she was panicking thinking she had to go to court, just shows that some people would give up.. but not us!!

Will update if / when we hear anything else.

C

Good thing your Nan has you looking out for her! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

An update:

Allocation questionnaire received last week which needs to be submitted to the court by Monday 14th May. From my experience with HSBC and my friends with Lloyds, I am hoping an offer for the full amount will be in the post at some point this week.. If we dont hear, the allocation questionnare will be delivered to the court by hand on Friday..

My Nan is terrified that she will have to go to court, I wish they would hurry up!

C

Hi

I am completing the allocation questionnaire and for section G (other information), I am not sure what to put other than 'I believe the case will last no longer than 1 hour' Should I put anything else???

(I have done this before but cant remember and Ive left my one at home!)

Thanks for your help!

An update:

Allocation questionnaire was submitted Monday as per the date on the form..

Can someone please tell me what happens next as I have never got this far before?

Thanks. C

hiya

According to my court, the AQ's get looked at by someone in the court office and then passed to the District Judge who decided how to allocate it (think that means what direction he wants it to take) then you get a court date. The lady at the court said they get looked at in date order so depends the case load I suppose at each court how quick it is! here is very high case load and dealing with beginning of May at the moment so its anyones guess when mine will be. Hopefully yours will be quick

• 3 weeks later...

Still heard nothing from the court.. I am guessing with the fact the LTSB have now won 2 court cases that we will get a court date and A&L will fight!

Hello. My Nan has a court date of 6th July.. Please can someone tell me what happens next and what I need to do ready for court as I havent got a clue?! Thanks.

Hello.

Has anyone had a chance to look at my previous comment?

C

hiya

you need to have the court bundle - what directions has the judge made what info has he asked for? If you have a look at mimijane thread its really good, she has really got it sussed. With the court date it will have what the judge wants from you and the defendant by a certain date.

There are templates for the court bundle. Its quite a lot of information you need copies for court and the defendant and usually the judge gives an amount of days for this to be into the court and to the defendant. It should all be in the information with the date of the hearing. If you are unsure you could ring the court and ask what you will need.

Def have a look at MimiJane thread tho very thorough..

kate

Still heard nothing from the court.. I am guessing with the fact the LTSB have now won 2 court cases that we will get a court date and A&L will fight!

This is only 2 cases out of thousands ... I don't think the bank's solicitors turned up in either case and, in the second case, the claimant didn't even turn up, so didn't deserve to win.:rolleyes:

It means very little in the grand scheme of things, so don't worry and carry on pursuing your claim. I've not heard of A&L attending court, or even letting the claimant get that far. Having said that though, you have to be well prepared just in case ... there's a first time for everything:rolleyes:

A-Z CAG links to all documents you'll need for

your claim

(Thanks to Michael Brown for all his efforts)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Hello.

Thanks for the info / advice. I am hoping it wont get to court but like you say, theres a first time for everything and it honestly would be just my nans luck! I will have a look through the court bundle and maybe phone the court to double check as it is a preliminary hearing..

Thanks again.

C