Anglia Water CCJ's/CO's, Order Of Sale for +10yrs of backdated Surface water charges i'd either paid or are bogus. i lost everything.

Hi, in order to keep this short I won't go into every detail

my water company has a charging order against my house. This actually resulted from their bad administration where they have both not sent bills and also lost payments that I had made. It seems that in court the small guy is presumed guilty.

I have paid the complete amount of the charging order (between 1 and 2 thousand pounds) but they have now added £5000 in administration costs. There is no court judgement on these administration costs but the water company is claiming that they don't need any judgement on these costs since they relate to the charging order and they are now taking me to court for an order for sale based on these costs alone.

My solicitor is advising me to just leave the charging order in place (even though it has been paid) and pay the extra costs.

Can this be right?

Are there any laws I can quote to my solicitor?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What Costs Are They Talking About,

Id quot circumiret, circumveniat.

please do not take my word for anything please do your own research All that i make comments on are done in good faith and to the best of my knowledge

PLEASE READ THIS

Page contents

What is a charging order?

| When can a creditor apply for a charging order?

| How is an application made?

| How can I stop a charging order?

| What does a charging order affect?

| Can the creditor sell my home?

| Paying off a charging order

What is a charging order?

A charging order is a court order to enforce a County Court judgement. If a creditor obtains a County Court judgement because you did not pay a debt and you do not keep to the payments set, a court can place a charging order on your property

A charging order gives the creditor security for the debt, in other words the debt would become "secured" like a mortgage on your house or other land.

There must be a hearing in the County Court before a charging order can be made and there are several arguments you can use to stop an order being made.

This fact sheet explains the court procedure in the County Court and what you can do. Some creditors can apply for a charging order after suing you in the High Court.

When can a creditor apply for a charging order?

The creditor can apply for a charging order if they have a County Court judgement against you and either:

You have been ordered to pay the whole debt by a certain date. This is known as a "forthwith" judgement. If you do not pay the debt in full by that date the creditor can apply for a charging order; or The court has ordered you to pay the judgement by instalments and you have not been able to keep up the payments. If you have an order to pay the debt in instalments and are not behind on payments the court should not make a charging order. This is because of a very important case in 1987 called Mercantile Credit v Ellis. See the section "I already have an instalment order".

How is an application made?

The application for a charging order always has two stages:

The creditor makes an application for a charging order and the court will make what is called a charging order nisi if it is satisfied that you own or have a part share (have an interest) in the property in question. This is not the final order. A copy of the order will be sent to you giving at least seven days notice of a hearing in the court before a District Judge. The creditor will also register the charging order nisi with the Land Registry. This means you cannot sell the property before the hearing.

The second stage is the court hearing in front of the District Judge. At this hearing the court will decide whether to make a permanent charge on the property. This is called a charging order absolute. It is up to you to show why the charging order should not be made absolute. The court can refuse to make the charging order so you must go to the hearing. If you cannot attend on that date, contact the court for a different hearing date to be arranged. If you do not go then the charging order is likely to be made.

How can I stop a charging order?

The court must consider whether it is reasonable to make a charging order. Under The Charging Orders Act 1979 the court has to consider all the circumstances of the case and in particular the personal circumstances of the debtor whether any other creditor would be "unduly prejudiced". The court has to decide if making a charging order would disadvantage other creditors  The arguments you can use against the order being made will vary depending on your circumstances, whether you have equity in your house, and whether you own your home in joint names or on your own.

Some of the factors a court may consider

Whether any member of your family has a disability or serious illness.

Where you have a number of debts, whether making a charging order in favour of one creditor would give them unfair priority over other unsecured creditors. It is particularly useful if you can show you already have a payment arrangement in place with your other creditors.

This would be affected by a different arrangement being made.

Whether there are any other creditors who might object to the order being made. The charging order nisi should be sent to all your other creditors. If they have not been informed of the hearing you can ask for the application to be dismissed or at least adjourned to allow creditors to be notified and make an objection if they wish.

If the debt is small you can argue it would be unfair to make a charging order on your home if it is worth a lot in comparison. This is based on a case called Robinson v Bailey.

Whether the creditor could have given you a secured loan when you first took out the loan. If they decided to give you an unsecured loan instead, this could be particularly relevant if you have other unsecured creditors who may be disadvantaged by a charging order being made.

Whether there are other ways the court could enforce payment of the debt. You could ask the court to make an instalment order or an attachment of earnings order so that the instalments would come directly from your wages. This only applies if you are employed and your employment would not be at risk.

If you owe less than £5000 in total to all your creditors you can argue that the debt should be included in an administration order rather than the charging order being made absolute. If you are likely to be made bankrupt you can argue that a charging order would give the creditor an unfair advantage over other unsecured creditors.

If your home is not worth as much as your mortgage (also known as "negative equity") then you can argue it is not worth a charging order being made as the creditor would not be paid off even if they forced your home to be sold.

You should point out any particular hardship which your family would suffer if a charging order was to lead to the sale of the home. This is particularly important if the debt is not in joint names, as it is not then your partner’s debt.

If none of your arguments are successful and the court makes a charging order absolute you can still ask them not to allow your house to be sold as long as you pay monthly instalments.

I already have an instalment order and I am not behind with it

If you have kept up with the instalments on a County Court judgement then the court should not make a charging order absolute. According to a case called Mercantile Credit v Ellis in 1987, a charging order should only be used if the payments on a judgement are in arrears or you were ordered to pay the judgement in one lump sum (forthwith) and did not pay. This case is very important. If you are in this situation and still have a charging order nisi made, you must go to the hearing and take evidence that you have kept up with the instalments ordered and mention this case to the District Judge. This may change in the future, you should ensure you check this information regularly.

Divorce and separation

If you are currently involved in divorce proceedings or a dispute over dividing up the former matrimonial home then you must get detailed legal advice from your solicitor. You may be able to stop a charging order being made, depending upon the stage in your divorce proceedings.

Interest

If a creditor has taken the debt to the County Court, they cannot usually add extra interest once a charging order has been made. Interest cannot be added if:

The debt is for an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act. This includes most ordinary credit agreements, including bank overdrafts; or

The debt is less than £5000 in total even if it is not covered by the Consumer Credit Act.

What does a charging order affect?

A charging order may be made against any item in which you have "an interest". This usually means property that you own or partly own and will usually be your home. If you own your home in your sole name then the house will be covered by the charging order absolute. If you own your home in joint names with someone else then the charging order will only cover your share or "interest" in the property.

Can the creditor sell my home?

It is very rare for the court to allow a creditor who has a charging order absolute to sell your home. Most creditors are prepared to wait for you to sell your home at some point in the future and to be paid out of the proceeds of the sale. If a creditor is not prepared to wait then they can apply to the court for a hearing. It is up to the court to decide whether to make an order for sale.

The court will take into account the factors outlined in the section How can I stop a charging order and in particular:

Whether a sale would raise enough money to pay off the charge as well as your mortgage

Whether the court can legally order a sale. This is only possible if the debt is in your sole name and you are the sole owner of your house, or the debt is in joint names with the person who is the joint owner of your house.

If you own your home in joint names but the debt is in your name only the creditor cannot apply for an order for sale. Very rarely the creditor may use other procedures to try to force a sale. You can still make an offer of payment at the this stage and ask the court not to order a sale as long as you keep up with the payments. You can ask the court to adjourn the order for sale proceedings or suspend the order.

Paying off a charging order?

If you pay off the amount you owe under the charging order you can apply to the court for the order to be discharged. You would need to use a form called an N244 and include evidence of payment. It is usual for creditors to register the charging order with the Land Registry. Check with the Land Registry that the charging order nisi and absolute have been removed.

Remember: You can always seek advice about any difficulty you are having in dealing with your debt.

please do not take my word for anything please do your own research All that i make comments on are done in good faith and to the best of my knowledge

They are adding interest @40% as well as the cost the communication between the water company and their solicitors as well as court costs for the upcoming order for sale hearing

Thanks for the other info as well.

The trouble is although I've paid the charging order the water company have refused to lift the charge, so I have lodged the N244 form but they have a court date and as yet I don't. they are claiming the extra £5000 costs as a basis for order of sale but I can't find any laws one way or the other whether they can do this.

Whilst asking the Land Registry for advice, I learned that they are seizing thousands of properties in this way.

What Are The Poc

i cant help you but i think this is shocking that you are going to lose you home because of a water bill

it sounds that crazy that I'm not even sure i read it right

please read these

as examples

Consumer | Injunctions | Small Claims Court

Particulars of Claim for a Debt

Affidavit for Summary Judgment

Affidavit for Charging Order

Application for Stay of Execution

Application to Set Aside Judgment

Defence

Particulars of Claim for a Debt

IN THE [TOWN] COUNTY COURT CASE No.

BETWEEN

[iVOR PROBLEM] Claimant

AND

[JUSTIN TIME] Defendant

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

On the 31st November 20.... the Claimant lent to the Defendant the sum of £900.00 for the purposes of assisting the Defendant to pay his electricity bill.

The Defendant agreed to repay the said sum within a period of 14 days.

Despite numerous written and verbal requests made by the Claimant to the Defendant the Defendant has failed to pay the said sum and remains indebted to the Claimant.

The Claimant is entitled to interest at the rate of 8% per annum from the date the debt was due being the 14th December 20.... to the present date (62 days) at the daily rate of 20p making a total sum of £12.40 and continuing at the daily rate of 20p. (See Statutory Interest).

AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS

The sum of £912.40.

Interest in accordance with section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at such rate and for such period as the court thinks fit.

Costs.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in these Particulars of Claim are true.

Dated this 26th day of April 20...

To the court and

to the Defendant

IVOR PROBLEM

Claimant

of [Address],

at which address he/she will accept service of proceedings.

Statement in Support of Summary Judgment

BETWEEN

[iVOR PROBLEM] Claimant

AND

[JUSTIN TIME] Defendant

STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF APPLICATION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT

I, Ivor Problem of 8 Lucky Street, Anytown, the above named Claimant, occupation, builder will say as follows.

I make this Statement in support of my application for Summary Judgment

On the 26th April 20.... I started proceedings in the Anytown County Court. I claimed the sum of £900.00 plus interest. The money was lent to the Defendant by me to help him pay his electricity bill.

On the 2nd June 20.... the Defendant filed a Defence with the court stating that he did not owe me £900.00 and that the money was a gift. However, I have a letter written by the Defendant to me dated 16.01.20.... in which he thanks me for the money and says he will repay it to me.

I believe for this reason that the Defendant has no real prospect of successfully defending the claim and there is no reason why this case should be decided by a trial.

I therefore ask the court to enter judgment in my favour for the sum of £900.00 plus interest.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.

Signed ..........................

Claimant

Dated............................

Affidavit for Charging Order

BETWEEN

[iVOR PROBLEM] Claimant

AND

[JUSTIN TIME] Defendant

AFFIDAVIT IN SUPPORT OF APPLICATION FOR A CHARGING ORDER

I, Ivor Problem of 8 Lucky Street, Anytown, the above named Claimant, occupation builder, MAKE OATH and say as follows.

I make this affidavit in support of my application for a charging order. Save where otherwise appears I make this affidavit from matters within my knowledge, information or belief.

On the 31st November 20.... I lent to the Defendant the sum of £900.00 so that he could pay his electricity bill. The Defendant promised to repay this sum to me by the 14th December 1996. I have written and asked him to repay this sum but he has refused. The debt is still owed to me.

On the 15th May 20.... I obtained judgment against the Defendant for the sum of £912.40 including interest in the Anytown County Court.

I wish to apply for a charging order against the Defendant's property. The Defendant lives at 1 Broccoli Road, Anytown. The property is owned jointly with his wife May Time.

A search against the property at H.M. Land Registry reveals that the property is mortgaged to Grabapenny Building Society of 57 Pound Street, Anytown. I do not know how much is owed to the Grabapenny Building Society. There is also a charge in favour of Mr. Frank Ness of 20 Merry Street, Anytown.

In the circumstances I ask the court to grant me a charging order.

Sworn at

)

)

In the County of

)

)

This day of

)

)

Before me

)

)

Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths/Officer of the Court.

Application for Stay of Execution

BETWEEN

[iVOR PROBLEM] Claimant

AND

[JUSTIN TIME] Defendant

APPLICATION FOR STAY OF EXECUTION

I, Justin Time of 1 Broccoli Road, Anytown wish to apply for an order that execution of judgment entered against me on 15th May 20.... be stayed pending a final decision on my application to set aside judgment which is due to be heard on 1st June 20.....

The grounds of this application are set out in my application to set aside judgment.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this application for Stay of Execution are true.

Dated this 20th day of May 20....

To the court and

to the Claimant

JUSTIN TIME

Defendant

of [Address],

Application to Set Aside Judgment

BETWEEN

[iVOR PROBLEM] Claimant

AND

[JUSTIN TIME] Defendant

APPLICATION TO SET ASIDE JUDGMENT

TAKE NOTICE that the Defendant intends to apply to the district judge sitting at Anytown County Court, 5 New Street on the 1st June 20.... at 2.00pm for the following order:-

The judgment entered on 15th May 20.... be set aside for the reason that the Defendant did not receive notice of the proceedings.

The Defendant be allowed to file a Defence to these proceedings.

The Claimant do pay the costs of this Application. This Application is likely to take 30 minutes.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this application to Set Aside Judgment are true.

This application is likely to take 30 minutes.

Dated this 17th day of May 20....

To the court and

to the Claimant

JUSTIN TIME

Defendant

of [Address],

Defence

BETWEEN

[iVOR PROBLEM] Claimant

AND

[JUSTIN TIME] Defendant

DEFENCE

The Defendant denies that he is liable to the Claimant either as alleged in the Particulars of Claim or at all. Save where otherwise admitted, each and every allegation in the Particulars of Claim is denied.

Paragraph 1 of the Particulars of Claim is admitted save that the sum of £900 was not a loan.

Paragraph 2 is denied.

The sum of £900.00 was paid by the Claimant to the Defendant as a gift. There was no agreement to repay the money.

Paragraph 3 is denied.

The Claimant has never requested the return of the £900.00 either verbally or in writing.

It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the amounts claimed or any interest on such amounts.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Dated this 2nd day of June 20....

To the court and

to the Claimant

JUSTIN TIME

Defendant

of [Address],

Buy documents online

Your basket

Security

How to buy

How to use this site

Why buy

FAQs

Terms and conditions

Privacy statement

Help

Feedback

CompactLaw extras

Case examples

Court fees

Legal articles

Legal glossary

Links

Subscribe

More CompactLaw

Customer comments

Press comments

Affiliates

CompactLaw partners

Link to us

Bookmark this page

Print this page

Send link to a friend

Site Map

Employers Pack | Business Pack | Workplace Pack | HR Pack | Health & Safety Pack

Landlord Pack | Ecommerce Pack | Individual Documents | Free Documents

© 1996 - 2009 CompactLaw® Limited. All rights reserved. Legal information and services

Subscribe to CompactLaw - Free

OK, I understand.

The claim list water bills dating back 10 years and also interest and costs up to the date of the charging order but does not mention interest or other charges to be added after the charging order at all. In fact, I had paid most of these bills and attended court with some receipts and bank statements. I never expected this to happen so didn't keep all my receipts.

The water company representative phoned from the court hearing on a mobile phone and asked the water company office if any of these payments could be traced. It was claimed that none of them could be traced and that the receipts must be fakes. The judge just went along with whatever the water company were claiming and granted the charging order.

I have contacted customer services at a different water company and they insist that water bills are a statutory payment and for charging orders resulting from a water bill of less than £5000 an enforcement of sale cannot be made nor can extra charges be added after the charging order is in place.

My water company are insisting that extra charges can be added at any time and that by adding £5000 of extra charges they are entitled to an order of sale (even though I have paid the charging order, meaning that I have paid most of that amount twice now)

I just don't know if they are allowed to keep bumping up the amount by adding however much they like?

i cant help you but i think this is shocking that you are going to lose you home because of a water bill

it sounds that crazy that I'm not even sure i read it right

You read it right. They are getting away with it because it seems so crazy everyone just thinks you're mad, but take a look at this link, especially the readers' comments at the bottom.

Banks exploit legal loophole to seize homes - Times Online

Also take a look at the water companies websites - several of them are openly dealing in properties!!!

GOOD EVENING.

I AM RIGHT IN THINKING THAT YOU A NEW COURT DATE FOR THE EXTRA CHARGES,

Are they going back to court to claim the extra cost are you going to defend

Good Evening,

Thanks for your help so far.

No, they have not been to court yet for the extra charges but claim that there is no need as they are in relation to the charging order. I have a court date for an enforcement of sale hearing. This hearing was initially based on their claim that I have never paid anything,

after supplying proof in the form of copies of bank ledgers showing the money going into the water companies account, and evidence from a solicitor who wired money in a traceable way, (I finally learned how to stop them denying having received money)

the water company asked for an adjournment to investigate whether any money had been paid. A two month adjournment was granted and now they can no longer argue that the money hasn't been paid, they had added the extra charges and are continuing with the order of sale proceedings based on these charges.

I'm thinking that the extra charges are disproportionate to the original debt and were completely unnecessary, but they are increasing exponentially all the time. It makes no sense to me that the enforcement of sale proceedings can be based on the extra charges, but my solicitor says it can and that the water company is under no obligation to lift the charging order even though it has been paid.

Can you post the claim form and copies of the documents from the water company - can you also post a copy of the CCJ and the CO - you need to delete anything which might identify you.

When is the next hearing?

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

The court date is in a couple of weeks. I'll visit my solicitor to get the papers back from him and figure out how to post copies here. I'm not too computer savy.

I have only seen the CCJ once though and that was at the final charging order hearing. This is because the water company supplied a similar but incorrect name (which the court deemed to be an alias) and incorrect contact details.

The first I heard was the letter from the land registry saying a charging order was being placed.

OK, asked my solicitor for the paperwork and he wouldn't give it up.

Can they really get an order of sale on the costs for the order of sale procedure alone?

If you file an N244 to have a charging order lifted, can you be charged for the opposition attending court?

I have paid a charging order but the claimant are refusing to remove the charge and periodically launching an order of sale proceeding on the strength of the charging order still being there.

Despite having paid, the judge seems to see it that I'm responsible for costs and it's costing me almost as much as I'm earning, so I want to get the charging order removed, hence the N244

Your question is not clear?

If you saying that the other party have been granted a 'charge' - then the way forward is to ask for the charge to 'struck out'; this can only be asked for if the order was made without your knowledge and was never defended by you previously and you believe you have a full defence to the original CCJ.

I conclude this - because a charge order can only come about where a an underlying CCJ had been previously granted and you have not complied with the terms of the CCJ - which is to pay a agreed amount (normally) to the original claimant.

So.... if you are filing to have a charging order removed - you have to start by seeking to defend the CCJ - which is to make an application to have the CCJ set aside first and the Judge will deal with the charge order at the same time if you request it or in fact - what I am saying is that if you can defend the CCJ, then the Judge will have to strike out the Charge.

When it comes to costs - you would pay the £75 for the Set Aside hearing for the CCJ. If you loose; then the other party can claim costs against you and insist that the charging order stand... (I am thinking that if you are seeking to defend the charge - that you have been notified of an intention to place a charge on your premises? - so it is potentionally only an interim order at this stage)

If I have understood you correctly, then I Hope this helps?

If not, then please accept my apology.

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

The situation is that a CCJ was granted by the Northampton bulk claims court but as the information given was incorrect, the first I heard was a letter from the Land Registry about placing a charging order.

I attended court to defend this as I had actually paid most of the bills being claimed and offered to pay the balance but it went against me and a final charging order was placed. I have now paid this but the water company are refusing to remove it, seeing it as a way to get thousands more in costs every time they launch an order of sale on the strength of the charging order still being in place.

I have learned that it is unlikely they will get an order of sale on their legal costs alone, but they are still getting thousands out of me in legal costs associated with the order of sale procedure.

sorry but i must agree with applecart

first port of call is getting the ccj set asside

wait for more comments though

I thought so, and it does not surprise me that it is a Water Authority that are handling you in this way......

Firstly, you may be able to work this case back to the beginning and claim costs against the Water Company in doing so - in my last post, I outlined processess for getting the CCJ Set aside - I think you should start there.....

OR

If you have paid them off - I am unclear as to how they can keep the charging order in place legally.

If you have paid - you should move to have the charge legally removed yourself.

I would have thought the way forward in this instance is to send a letter to the Court with your receipts showing the debt is paid in full and requesting that the file be marked as 'satisfied'.

Then send a copy of the 'satisfied' certificate to Land Registry as proof that the charge is paid in full with a request that the charge be lifted.

You may need a Solicitor to deal with Land Registry - but I would call Land Registry direct and ask them how to go about it - they are generally very helpful and will have seen many charges placed by water companies and hopefully will be more than happy to help. : )

Your error - if you don't mind my saying - was trying to defend the 'charging order' - there would be no defence - as the Charging order is an 'effect' or 'consequence' if you like of non compliance to the CCJ - if that makes sense? similar to 'attachment of earnings' 'garnishee orders' etc all of these are done as a consequence (for want of a better word).

Hope this helps : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Thanks. I

have actually paid them off twice and I'm not sure either how they can keep the charging order in place. They claim it needs to be kept in place to guarantee payment of their costs from the last order of sale procedure, but to me it just seems to be a way to take thousands from me in cost all the time.

I only tried to defend the charging order because I was completely unaware of any of the previous hearings. I didn't know that the court could help.

That will be the first thing to try.

Thanks.

If you mean that the 'court' can help because you can look into getting the matter set aside - then yes, see what you can do to take the whole thing back to court by defending the CCJ....

You will be asked in court - why it has taken you so long to defend the CCJ, but you can say as you have said here 'the first you knew about it was....'

also your defence must stand up - no good going down this route; if your defence has no basis.... so you must be definately sure ok?

Best of luck : )

• Haha 1

• dx100uk changed the title to Anglia Water and bogus Surface water charges. i lost everything.
  • dx100uk changed the title to Anglia Water CCJ's/CO's, Order Of Sale for +10yrs of backdated Surface water charges i'd either paid or are bogus. i lost everything.