• Tweets

• Well that's it then.   You went in the entrance which simply said you had to be a KFC customer, which you intended to be.   Once you worked out it was closed and read the signage you promptly left, in all of 11 minutes.    Their signage is rubbish and you've proved it.  Well done on digging up this evidence.
    • This is a long time issue and a little complicated so I'll attempt to condense.   Barclays account: held with them over 25yrs, opend in the 90's £6800 overdraft   15 years ago the account became a problem due to account holder due illness/company closing/long term disabilities.   No activity on the account other than what is stated below, card not used, balance always kept just under the o/d level so as not to incur further costs.   In those 15 yrs (2006)the account has been maintained each month by Barclays applying the o/d interest and the account holder paying that amount.  In the early years about £120 pm, then it went to £3per interest so worked out and around £90pm and late last year with the interest hike by the banks on O/d's it took the amount close to £180pcm    In  / around 2012 the account holder approached the bank with a view to receving some help, they were at that time somewhat ill, and registered as disabled. They asked that they convert the amount to a loan with them so that over time the balance would reduce. The Bank refused but instead put them through to another in-house lender, (woolwich) on internal line, they took the details but then didn't offer the loan.   Account holders health deteriorated but they insisted with their family members to continue to pay the overdraft, they were petrified of what may happen if they didn't.   In 2014 a SAR's was asked of Barclays which they sent but it didn't give much away, but importantly neither did it mention the customer going into the branch for the help.   In 2019 the customer via a third party who also obtained a third party mandate  approached the bank with a lengthy correspondence asking for help, they gave as much info as they could.   A month later then bank stated they believed they had not acted incorrectly as the account had been held to the good by the miniumum payments on the account being met, in short unless the account tripped they would not know there was a problem.   It was pointed out to the bank that under the terms of the original agreement and backed up by a letter from the bank way back as early as 2003 that the overdraft had been increased and that the account would be reviewed annually and that the account for the overdraft to remain in place would need to be kept in good order.    It's clear no annual review from at least 2006 had taken place as 'good order' was that the account was to be seen to be going in and out of credit whch of course was not the case, it hasn't been in the black since 2005/6   The bank refused to budge , also denied that the customer had been into the branch in 2012 and in any case as it was 2019 they didn't have to go that far back with a complaint if it had not been raised before.   Thats stage 1   A complaint was raised with the Ombudsman in late 2019, they accepted the complaint and lodged with Barclays that an account had been logged and that they (Ombudsman) were thus engaged on the account.   In the meantime the customer continued to maintain the account with Barclays as per the previous 13 years at the same time as providing info to the Ombudsman when it was requested.   Barclays wrote asking the customer to call them, but they had been put on notice in the original complaint that the Customer wanted all communication in writing, three times barclays asked for them to call despite them knowing the customer was 'vulnerable'  and still they continued the account knowing that the customer was only paying them out of the disability payments etc...   Barclays were sent 3 letters via signed delivery asking that all communication be put in writing, the customer wanted to establish a papertrail so no room for error or misinterpretation similar to Barclays 2012 denial that the customer had been into the branch, all 3 letters were signed for all 3 letters went unanswered.   Late 2019/early 2020 Barclays were out of desperation contacted on the phone but as the account had not been placed in collections' then nobody from the department could speak to the customer ????   In or around March 2020 the Ombudsman wrote to the customer stating they were a week away from a resolution and that they were just awaiting for it to be signed off by a senior investigator.   3 weeks later Covid hit but no resolution had been sent, a month or so later an email was sent to the Ombudsman requesting clarification and a month later they wrote back saying 'it's a week away (again) and they'll be in touch and then the case went cold, nothing heard and no return of phone calls to them.   After months of delays and after not hearing from the Ombudsman a letter was sent to one of their senior Ombudsman who replied that they'd take a look and be back in touch in a week and which they were and where they stated that the case: A: Should not have been taken on by the original investigator as it was above their remit, it should also have been picked up by another investigator when it was looked at during the initial process but again it wasn't. B: As the case had been incorrectly assigned it was then unassigned and placed on hold and for the following reason: C :  The case was of a sort that the banks and the Ombudsman have been discussing, no reasons for the discussion was given but as the case fell into this criteria it was on hold pending the discussions being concluded by the banks/ombudsman.   In short just over 12 months of the case first being allocated/engaged it had been unallocated/disengaged and placed on hold.   A second complaint was therefore lodged with the Ombudsman which was duly investigated and a nominal amount was offered for what they stated was poor service.  This amount was refused and the complaint was then sent to the Assessor (next step) but they wrote back stating that until the case had been finalised by the Ombudsman the assessor would not be able to investigate the complaint.   Updated were occasionally given by the Ombudsman on the state of the original complaint against Barclays but even that dropped into the abyss early 2021.    After a recent request to the Ombudsman to ask if the 2019 onwards discussions with the banks had been concluded an email was sent back saying that the case was just about to be reallocated (no answer as to if their discussions had concluded.   A week later an new case investigator was placed onto the case, they had written to Barclays and were awaiting their response.   1 week later they investigator came back with:   Barclays are offering to write the account off and to close the account.   And that is where they're stuck,  15yrs of overdrafts fees being paid, (almost 2.7 times the orignal amount of the o/d) with Barclays refusing to budge, then out of the blue came the offer.   The offer is on the table for a few weeks, but is it an offer to take?   When intial contact was made the bank with the complaint in 2019 they did nothing on the o/d account but very quickly (1 week) shut down one of the Barclayscard credit cards the customer had with them and placed the other at £250 limit (the limits before that were collectively 25k but had not been used for some years)     I have read somewhere that this 'credit card' balance reduction affected the credit worthability of a credit card holder, it's an indirect hit on them and this seems borne out as although the customer has a good credit record (not really facilitating it) they have been refused credit from a source they have always used and who they have never had any problem with before and this is only after the Barclaycard issue.     Sorry for the elognated post but for me, the offer whilst it may seem ok, well if it's their offer now and whilst they may withdraw the offer I think it has more legs? The customer should never have bee allowed to get where they've been for the last 15 years......Barclays have had considerably more than the original o/d and they want to stick to terms and conditions but then seem to flout them themselves by not conducting regular reviews or even as recent as knowing a customer is struggling and they still continue onwards unabated.     Deb                                                          
    • cash cowed blind. just run the sb date to infinity for 15yrs.     who are moorcrofts client please   and i bet you have a bank account and or a card with hsbc too...
    • It was for an HSBC personal bank loan of 20k Was passed onto metropolitan collection services which agreed the £1 payment plan and have paid them every month since and they have left me alone. The new DCA is moorcroft and balance is still roughly them same.  I have always paid the agreed £1 as if I got a ccj I would lose my job.
    • What type of Bank loan ?   When you defaulted with the Bank, how much did you owe approx ?   Who did you agree the £1 token payment arrangement with ?  Is this the last DCA you were dealing with, before the debt was transfered to a new DCA ?    Which DCA's have been involved ?    There are many DCA's who have the same parent company owners and also there have been many DCA's bought out by new owners who have taken on the debts.   What is the current debt balance approx ?   Was there ever a period, when you did not make any payments towards the debt ?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

Southeastern - Fare Evasion since July 2020

I’ve been a bit stupid - same as most people, my wages have been cut and I have only been part paying my fare since July 2020.

Today, I get pulled over by BTP (I think, they had a shiny badge at least’, asked where I got on, I lied, got asked again and was then honest from then on.

I was left with a ‘caution’ and was told that she was referring the case to Southeastern and to await to hear from them.

First of all, I’d like to do everything in my power to settle out of court for obvious reasons. Tips on wording my letter of response would be great. Also, does anyone know if they do payment plans? I have 0 savings so won’t be able to pay a large amount as a one off payment.

Secondly, out of curiosity, how do they know how to target? She virtually knew everything about me before I answered questions!

(Yes yes I know, it was stupid behaviour!)

how did you evade since july...not yours/fake pass?

eitherway you await the letter, they have 6mts.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your reply.

I have to jump on two different trains and only bought tickets for the second leg.

Whoever it was who pulled me aside said that I’m a ‘small fish’ compared to other people they catch but it still didn’t fill me with the greatest confidence!

Hi.

Well obviously you need to start paying for the whole of your journey from now on.

I think all you can do is wait for the letter from Southeastern. Once it arrives, let us know what they're saying and we'll advise you what to do next.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Great thanks!

I have literally paid full fare from tonight onwards - put the fear of god in me walking back into the station!

I kept looking over my shoulder expecting the BTP to jump out at me!

I know what I’ll be seeing in my nightmares tonight...😂

well as there will be no records? via looking at previous pass use for instance had you used one.. ?

this will simply be a case of possibly just having to pay the missing fare.

you don't often see them going any further for what is a single ticket misuse or failure to purchase issue

you might not here anything at all.

the fact you've done this since july matters not.?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply - we shall wait and see!

It’s all logged on a Southeastern Key Card - do you think that makes a difference?

Posted (edited)

Wait and see what the letter shows.

by “She virtually knew everything about me before I answered questions!” was this in the style of:

a) “What is your name”, “Jegan”, “Yes, I knew that”, or

b) “Jegan, how do I spell your name correctly”?

b) would suggest more of a targeted RPI operation, but the letter (especially if it mentions multiple offences or “taken into consideration” offences) will make things clearer.

As there will be a “key card” log of your ticket purchases : I’m not so sure that it’ll be a case of “the use since July 2020 won’t matter”.

All they’d need to do is ask you (under caution) “have you been living near [your true starting station] since July 2020”

Is your true starting station manned / Does your true staring station have barriers?

Edited by BazzaS

Sorry, I meant that she seemed to knew exactly where I had got on and how long I had been doing it for - I wasn’t even sure myself when I had started not paying full fares!

i severely doubt they had any idea how long, they just don't do that kind of backtracking on individual passengers...more probably carefully worded questions and you fell for them..but it doesn't really matter if you admitted to 'whatever', they won't have evidence of those i bet my hat.

more probably , as bazza says, its been discovered and a known issue with lots of people doing it since xx date and it was an operation to stop the 'regular' offenders.

and they

I think I might have dodged it a bit - ‘she said have you been doing it since July and I answered with ‘I can’t remember, I think since last year.’

Tried to keep that answer relatively vague.

i would thus suspect that from july there has been some kind of network infrastructure 'loophole', be it by no barriers or WHY in xxx place to prevent it.

and they

That makes a lot of sense, the barriers were up more often than not.

Looks a bit like they’ve deliberately led people into the same kind of situation as I’m in. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jegan11 said:

Looks a bit like they’ve deliberately led people into the same kind of situation as I’m in. 

What? They deliberately enticed you to evade your fare?

Good luck with aiming for an out of court settlement if you use that approach / show that attitude.

I can bet the RPI’s notes reflect you initially lied about your starting station and that when challenged you admitted the deceit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37494501

He tried to run off when challenged ...

Edited by BazzaS

I know I was in the wrong - I’m not denying that nor would I not apologise for it.

It just made a lot of sense.
I am more than painfully aware that I am in the wrong and it has been a stressful day worrying about it.

it is most definitely not something I’d do again, please don’t think that that is the attitude I currently take or will take when replying to the letter.

I was just acknowledging that I can see how my situation happens. I never excused it. And I also understand that they have to recoup lost fares. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have received my letter, I haven’t yet written a response. I’m going to draft it tonight.

Any advice is greatly appreciated thank you.

photo.pdf

Hi.

See what the others think but as I read the letter, they aren't giving you much of a clue about what they're alleging.

There's a great poster here who we haven't seen recently, Old-CodJA, who always says that you don't need to tell the train company anything they don't already know but I'm not sure how it would work in your case at the moment.

Please post up your first draft and we'll help you to work on it. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks honeybee13!

This is my first draft, I think it definitely needs work:

‘Dear Prosecutions Manager,

I would first of all like to start my response by saying how deeply sorry I am.

I realise my actions were wrong and it is in no way representative of how much respect I have for Southeastern and their staff. They have been really profession throughout the whole pandemic and have always treated passenger safety as of the utmost importance.

I am ashamed of the poor decisions I have made. I’d like to try and explain my circumstances at the time I first evaded my fare but I understand that I am not alone in my situation and it doesn’t change the fact that I have been wrong in the choices I made.

I was placed on furlough and have been on furlough since April 2020. I have only been taken off furlough by my employer in the last month. I was recalled into work at the end of May 2020 and I struggled to pay the full train fare due to my reduced wages and as a result made a great error in judgement and started part paying my fares after being back at work for a little while.

I was so ashamed of myself when I was stopped by the Railway Enforcement Officer and since then, I have ensured I have paid full fare for every journey I have made.

Although my financial situation has recently improved, both my parents have had worsening health in the last month or so and due to this stressful situation, I would really like to settle this out of court if possible with a contribution towards the administration costs as well.

I’d like to end this letter by saying that that I understand the gravity of my actions and will never travel without a valid ticket in future. I thank you for taking the time to read my response.’

god NO!!

you are telling them it's more than one event,,, don't

esp the bit about being furlonged so long ago.

just refer to a recent return to work on low pay etc.

don't give any timings away

it says an incident' so you admit to that incident that due to cut in wages due to covid etc, and how very sorry you are etc.

how a criminal prosecution would kill future employment

and they

Thanks for the feedback dx100uk!

Are there any paragraphs I should keep?

I have rewritten the furlough part.

I’ve tweaked it but I think the first paragraph might be too grovelly:

Dear Prosecutions Manager,

I would first of all like to start my response by saying how deeply sorry I am.

I realise my actions were wrong and it is in no way representative of how much respect I have for Southeastern and their staff. They have been really professional throughout the whole pandemic and have always treated passenger safety of the utmost importance.

I am ashamed of the poor decision I have made. I’d like to try and explain my circumstances at the time I evaded my fare but I understand that I am not alone in my situation and it doesn’t change the fact that I have been wrong in the choice I have made.

I have recently returned to work but I have been on reduced pay for a while which led to me committing the incident mentioned. 

I was so ashamed of myself when I was stopped by the Railway Enforcement Officer and since then, I have ensured I have paid full fare for every journey I have made.

In regards to a possible prosecution, due to a stressful situation at home regarding my parents health, I would really like to settle this out of court if possible with a contribution towards the administration costs as well.

I’d like to end this letter by saying that that I understand the gravity of my actions and will never travel without a valid ticket in future. I thank you for taking the time to read my response.’

lose the red bit don't be pedantic..

don't use the health as a reason, just slip it in somewhere as a secondary thought, and that worry concerning them getting covid by you returning back to work, had delayed your return. a few white lies don't hurt.

pers i'd fluff it out a bit. 

something like 

Notice of intention to prosecute - Thameslink - changed CArNet Ticket date - Please help - **SETTLED** - Public transport (Trains, tubes and buses) - Consumer Action Group

and they

Great thanks! I have refined it - 

‘Dear Prosecutions Manager,

I would first of all like to start my response by saying how deeply sorry I am. I realise my actions were wrong and it is in no way representative of how much respect I have for Southeastern and their staff. I am remorseful about the poor decision I have made. I’d like to try and explain my circumstances at the time I evaded my fare.

I have recently returned to work but I have been on reduced pay for a while due to COVID-19 which led to me committing the incident mentioned. Additionally, I have been under stress as both my parents have been diagnosed with long term illnesses during the pandemic and I have been concerned about travelling and exposing them to COVID-19. Although I don’t live with them, they have been reliant on me during the pandemic to collect shopping, medication and support them throughout hospital and doctor’s appointments. The extra pressure has taken a toll on my mental health and I have consequently made a careless choice.

I was so ashamed of myself when I was stopped by the Revenue Protection Officer and since then, I have ensured I have paid full fare for every journey I have made. The consequences of my actions have weighed heavily on my mind since.

I am concerned that a possible prosecution would ruin any future employment opportunities and I would really like to settle this out of court with a contribution towards the administration costs as compensation for my actions.

I am regretful of the extra pressure and inconvenience caused to all involved and would like to make amends.

I’d like to end this letter by saying that I understand the gravity of my actions and will never travel without a valid ticket in future. I thank you for taking the time to read my response and I appreciate any leniency you can show in this matter.’

23rd is a friday... do you get paid monthly and after the 23rd...trying to make this only supposed use look more real

and they