Jump to content

Query - is there Govt £s help for OAP service charges?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

An OAP friend is struggling to pay his service charges.

He owns a long lease flat. The freeholders are a huge well-known entity.


He is billed quarterly for internal and external service charges, both current and potential future expenditures.


I've had a look at the charges.  I'm not sure there's much I can do to query the amounts on his behalf ??  Although I wish I could as the charges are exorbitant. 

As an example -  the block has been charged 3.5k for cleaning over the last year. In this same period the freeholders renovated one of their own flats and the stairs carpet and hall was covered in plastic.   Thus there was no stairs to hoover.  During lockdowns the cleaner just did not come - yet there was no reduction in the annual cleaning bill!!

There's no lift, no concierge, no gardener or caretaker - just one contract cleaner who (in normal circumstances) comes once a week.  There's an alarm and the contractor tests it once a week. 

His service charges are pretty much 1k/month.

If he doesn't pay the charges the freeholder takes legal action - threatening repossession.   


He isn't earning. Has a small monthly pension.

He has a small mortgage and the lender has stepped in 3 times to cover the service charges.   But this is untenable.


it's made me question how many other elderly leaseholders are living with the threat of repossession just because they can't afford to pay the service charges.... 


Is there any Govt scheme or Pension attached scheme that helps pay service charges?



Link to post
Share on other sites



Is it a Retirement Leashold or a Normal Leasehold?


If it is Retirement Leasehold Accommodation see this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/leasehold-schemes-for-the-elderly-management-fee-limit



How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I get pension credit, it tops up any shortfall,       you are probably best t go to entitled to or the Gov web site to apply. 

There is information on both those sites that should help :)


Sandy xx

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019



Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...