Cancelling David Lloyd membership

LX16
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, 

I'm looking for some advice regarding my david lloyd membership,  I was a linked member to my now ex-partner's member unfortunately over the last lockdown our relationship broke down and we've gone our separate ways. To put it mildly we're not on friendly terms, he goes to the gym with his close friends and it would be a pretty hostile environment to be around. 

He sent me a brief message just over a month ago to say that I was no longer a member and basically i'm not allowed to return once they'd re-opened. I'd left it at that and rejoined a new gym

Anyway, i've now received an email staying I have unpaid fees and need to make a payment and they've set me up as stand alone member - i've tried to speak to someone but apparently have to wait 3-5 days and i'm assuming they're now going to make me do the three months cancellation fee. 

I can't afford to pay three months worth of membership for a gym i'm not going to go to. From reading some of the other conversations it looks like DL can be pretty brutal and not really have any empathy and i'll soon get a letter from a debt agency if i don't comply.

What would be the best way forward? I'd rather offer a resolution then ignore and worry for a few months. 

Are you telling us that they took it upon themselves to open up an account in your name?

Yep - they took me off as a linked member and made me a stand alone member. I have looked into their membership terms and it does state they could do this but it seems really unfair that my ex-partner and DL can do this without my permission. 

Well just because it's in the terms and conditions doesn't mean that it is enforceable and frankly it sounds unfair without referring to you.

I'd like  to see what my site team colleague @slick132 has to say about it but my instinct is to write them a letter and tell them that for the avoidance of doubt you do not admit you have any contact with them and you have no intention of paying anything and if they want, you will see them in court and you will challenge the fairness of the term that they are apparently relying upon.

Let's see what my site team colleague says

or simply ignore them

there is absolutely nothing they can do to you

unless you want to use that gym which i think not..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thank you for the response! I've seen a few replies from Slick so if he could provide some advice that would be greatly appreciated. 

Some help drafting a letter would be amazing. 

Dx100uk - if I need to ignore I will, i definitely don;t want to use the gym. I'd just started to build my confidence up again and this email has really knocked me back again :( 

well if it's in their T&C's the theres not much you can do really other than complain.

but the bottom line T&C's aren't legally enforceable anyway, hence you can ignore their demands for any money likewise.

just remember gym debts don't show on credit files

gyms don't do court.

and any DCA they pass it on to are totally powerless.

a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF

and have 

ZERO legal powers on any debt - no matter what it's type.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi LX and welcome to CAG

Please confirm, have you signed anything before or after the relationship break-up confirming agreement to any DL m/ship terms ?

Forget calling them about this and, if they call you, just say, "I'll deal with this in writing only." and hang up. You don't need to discuss this with them and doing so will get you nowhere.

We also don't agree with their need for 3 month's notice and always tell folk to challenge this. But in your case, this is irrelevant.

We can help you with a letter in due course.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks Slick, I don’t remember signing anything last year, I may have agreed to membership terms when signing up on the app. 

I haven’t agreed to anything or spoken to them since the break up. So shall I just wait it out? 

thank you for the quick reply!

Can you tell us any more about what you say above - I may have agreed to membership terms when signing up on the app.

Meanwhile, just ignore demands for now and don't respond to them.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

When I was added as a linked member I had to register my membership through the app to enable me to join. When signing up I’m sure there was a small button you had to click to agree to membership terms. 

Ok, understood.

As long as you didn't supply them with your bank details and sign a DD mandate in their favour, I would ignore them for now but keep us informed of their demands.

It is ludicrous for them to suggest you attend the same gym after breaking up with your ex.