UK Debts, living abroad for some time

Hi all,

I'll try and summarise this mess briefly.

I have approximately £45,000 in credit card debt from the UK. I moved abroad a number of years ago (outside of EU). Up until now I was making minimum repayments, and had never missed a payment. It's got to a point where I can no longer continue making the payments, and I never told them of my address change (the address listed is my last UK address, which is my parent's home).

I was using one of the cards with money available to pay off the other minimum payments using Revolut, and now of course i've run out of money. I have no spare money available, nor anyone that can help, so I believe my only choice of action is to stop paying. My CC accounts are with Lloyds Group, Tesco & HSBC.

From asking a different forum, my understanding is that if I do not intend to make payments I should cancel the direct debits first of all, then eventually all the accounts will default. I also was recommended to send letters with proof of postage to the creditors regarding my address change so they don't hound my parents, and have my correct contact info. I managed to find the address to use for Lloyds & Tesco, but I cannot find a postal address for HSBC anywhere. Is anyone able to help me with that please?

To answer some questions, I don't plan to return to the UK anytime soon. I don't have any assets in the UK, my bank account that had the direct debits is not connected to the creditors, does not have an overdraft, and the only money that was in there was to cover the payments. Also, I've been out of the country longer than the amount of time bankruptcy would be an option. I'm not particularly proud of what i'm doing, but feel like the only option is to have a fresh start from the worry of my UK debts.

Does anyone have any advice, or suggestions on my plan, and if i've missed anything? When the phone calls/letters/emails start should I respond/respond in a particular way/ignore? I guess at this stage without missed payments, this month will be the 1st time anything is noted, so i'm not sure when the messages will start.

Thanks for your time.

you should have updated them of your moved years ago and stopped paying.

not alot anyone can do to you once you've done that

i'd also be sending proof you've been resident in xxx country since xxx year too.

hsbc address will be in our forum for HSBC at the top.

else use google for UK  head office 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i applied for the credit when i wasn't a resident in the UK. I was there to apply, but was already living abroad, so i'm not sure if that would be a good idea. Stupid i know, but i have kept up with payments up til now. In that case what would you suggest? 

Anyone can recommend what I should put if I applied for the credit when I technically wasn't living in the UK? Should I just leave the move date out? Want to get the letters sent out asap as I stopped the direct debits and am now getting the messages through the app.

Thanks a lot.

Telling them you live abroad is about enforcement in a UK Court, which would be problematic if you were not resident in the UK.

It may be the case that you provided incorrect information when applying for the credit, but that is not the point at this stage, so you don't need to say when you left the UK.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

So my letter basically looks like this. If anyone has any suggestions of improvements, things I missed please let me know. I was also wondering if I should update a phone number?

image.png.d2a4d79d1a81fd33616d16b78885b6b5.png

we cant edit you've put a picture up not text.

i have for a number of years resided at ..... and will remain so.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ah that's weird, i copied it from word. My problem still remains that I was residing abroad whilst getting the credit (even though i was located in the UK when applying), so I thought it would be a problem if i put the year before the credit agreement? If that's the case, should I just leave it off of there, or do you have another suggestion?

Posted (edited)

Sorry, misread what you wrote. That makes sense. Editable below with your comments. Let me know how that looks...thanks so much!

To whom it may concern.

Reference: Address Change

Account Number(s):

Last UK address: 

Please note that I have for a number of years resided at ..... and will remain so.

Please acknowledge receipt of this letter confirming that you have noted my foreign address and will use this for all future communications.

Yours faithfully

Edited by afcdebt82
added info