• Tweets

• Our price is the same all day, but varies day to day. Yes there's a risk of high prices but it has never gone above SVR any time since I signed up. Last 30 days average 17.67p/kWh, max 20.67 and lowest was 11.83.  It saved just under £300 during 2023.  
    • It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Tanzarelli V's Lloyds TSB ********WON*****

TANZARELLI
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Tanz,

You should file for the new amount after the refund, but still claim exactly the same interest as before. They were in possession of your money from xx/xx/xx to yesterday, or whenever they gave you the refund. They are still liable for the interest for that period dispite the fact that they've refunded a proportion of the charges, if you subtract the £750 as a proportion of each charge rather than as whole charges. Ie divide the £750 over the amount of charges there are and subtract that figure from each charge. Make sense?

For example, if you've got 40 charges: 750 / 40 = 18.75, then take 18.75 off of the value of each charge. File the new claim for all the charges minus 18.75

Hi Gary,

I have managed to amend the schedule of claim for charges, wondered if you could take a quick look to see if ok before I re-file my claim.

Not sure how this will show up on here so if layout look wrong its prob a space thing in thread. On paper it looks ok. Here goes:

NAME

LLOYDS TSB BANK PLC

SORT CODE:- **-**_**

Claim Number

6QZ*****

ACCOUNT NUMBER:- ********

Amended Copy

as of

31/12/2006

SCHEDULE OF CLAIM FOR CHARGES

Last Entry Date

06 not 05

PERIOD: 01/07/2004 TO 03/07/2006

In Respect of:

Amount

Date Incurred

Days since offence

Interest 8% APR

UNPAID DD CHARGES

£60.00

01/07/2004

£12.05

UNPAID DD CHARGES

£96.00

01/02/2005

£14.74

UNPAID DD CHARGE

£32.00

01/04/2005

£4.50

UNPAID DD CHARGES

£64.00

03/05/2005

£8.55

UNPAID DD CHARGES

£160.00

01/06/2005

£20.35

UNPAID SO CHARGE

£32.00

01/07/2005

£3.86

UNPAID DD CHARGE

£32.00

01/07/2005

£3.86

UNPAID DD CHARGE

£32.00

01/08/2005

£3.64

UNPAID SO CHARGE

£35.00

03/10/2005

£3.50

UNPAID DD CHARGES

£105.00

03/10/2005

£10.49

UNPAID SO CHARGE

£35.00

01/11/2005

£3.27

UNPAID DD CHARGE

£35.00

01/11/2005

£3.27

UNPAID DD CHARGES

£70.00

01/06/2006

£3.28

UNPAID DD CHARGE

£35.00

03/07/2006

£1.39

£823.00

£96.74

£919.74

Following my previous claim being suspended due to the claimants name being entered as the

Defendants and also due to the Defendant making a payment into my account of

£750.00

which I have notified the Defendant that I am only accepting as a partial payment of the total

amount which was originally claimed, I am amending my schedule of claim for charges.

The £750 part payment has been divided by the total number of charges applied to my account,

this gave a figure of £30.00 which has been deducted from each individual charge to give the

amount outstanding for each individual charge. For example:-

£750.00 divided by 25 (total number of charges) = £30.00 this figure was subtracted from each

individual charge to leave the amount still outstanding in charges owed by the Defendant.

In Respect of:

Amount

Date Incurred

New Amount

2 x UNPAID DD CHARGES @ £30

£60.00

01/07/2004

£0.00

3 x UNPAID DD CHARGES @ £32

£96.00

01/02/2005

£6.00

1 x UNPAID DD CHARGE @ £32

£32.00

01/04/2005

£2.00

2 x UNPAID DD CHARGES @ £32

£64.00

03/05/2005

£4.00

5 x UNPAID DD CHARGES @ £32

£160.00

01/06/2005

£10.00

1 x UNPAID SO CHARGE @ £32

£32.00

01/07/2005

£2.00

£32.00

01/07/2005

£2.00

£32.00

01/08/2005

£2.00

1 x UNPAID SO CHARGE @ £35

£35.00

03/10/2005

£5.00

3 x UNPAID DD CHARGES @ £35

£105.00

03/10/2005

£15.00

1 x UNPAID SO CHARGE @ £35

£35.00

01/11/2005

£5.00

1 x UNPAID DD CHARGE @ £35

£35.00

01/11/2005

£5.00

2 x UNPAID DD CHARGES @ £35

£70.00

01/06/2006

£10.00

1 x UNPAID DD CHARGE @ £35

£35.00

03/07/2006

£5.00

Total still owed to the claimant in charges

£73.00

Total still owed to the Claimant in Interest

at 8% as above

£96.74

Grand Total

£169.74

Also worked out daily rate and it was only 2p per day so left it off.

Cheers

Tanz

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it has moved about a bit. But if you try hard you will work out that i have left old charges at top then explained reason for amending the schedule of claim for charges, then deducted 30 from each charge to leave total still owed as you suggested. I think its ok but it may look to confusing on a post.

Tanz

Hi Tanz,

Before you go ahead, and I hope Im not too late. Is there any reason why yopu dont go for the contractual rate of interest - For example on your first entry of £60 three years ago you would be looking at more than doubling due to compounded unauthorised interest rate, rather than 24% simple interest

It seems a heck of a lot to forego just for the sake of doing a few sums

Whatever you chose - Good luck

FNC

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/53089-fnc-ge-money-erc.html

21/12/2006 SAR

Next Step 31/1/2007 - Prelim / S.A.R Enforcement

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/55694-fnc-c-g-erc.html

21/12/2006 SAR

13/1/2007 - Prelim

Next Step 27/1/2007 LBA

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/55692-fnc-lloyds-tsb.html

21/12/2006 SAR

Next Step 31/1/2007 -Prelim / SAR enforcement

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/55784-fnc-better-half-nationwide.html

20/12/2006 Prelim with Schedule and SI £640

5/1/2007 LBA with revised schedule CCR £867

Next Step 20/1/2007 CLAIM

PC World - Refund Faulty goods Preliminary Letter 13/01/2007 - Consumer rights are getting addictive

Don't get angry get even:D

That looks fine to me.

Not sure you should go for contractual interest at this stage. You'd have to start again from the prelim for a start, well the LBA at least, plus they've already given you a refund of most of what you were claiming based on what you claimed initially. It would'nt seem reasonable now to go back with a large interest claim.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi Tanz,

Before you go ahead, and I hope Im not too late. Is there any reason why yopu dont go for the contractual rate of interest - For example on your first entry of £60 three years ago you would be looking at more than doubling due to compounded unauthorised interest rate, rather than 24% simple interest

It seems a heck of a lot to forego just for the sake of doing a few sums

Whatever you chose - Good luck

FNC

Hi FNC,

I would have to go back to poss the prelim stage as I have not mentioned this in previous correspondence. So i will let them of for this time. I'm saving that for my Barclaycard claim 27.9%. So not that bothered.

Thanks anyway

Tanz

That looks fine to me.

Not sure you should go for contractual interest at this stage. You'd have to start again from the prelim for a start, well the LBA at least, plus they've already given you a refund of most of what you were claiming based on what you claimed initially. It would'nt seem reasonable now to go back with a large interest claim.

My thought exactly, i had this conversation with someone else on my Capital One thread.

Thanks will get this filed today, now hangover is a distant memory, from all the festivities. Hope you had a good one and thanks.

Its not a lot of money now following the refund but why should I let them off it. Its MINE!!!!

Tanz

Hi all,

Now darfted a slightly lengthy POC to use with my re-claim. Any thoughts welcomed. I am using N1 this time to to complexities that have been caused by my mistake and their partial payment of £750. I think its ok so hear goes.

Particulars of Claim ******* V’s Lloyds TSB Bank PLC

1. The Claimant has an account ******** ("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened on or around September 2003

2. During the period in which the Account has been operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A claim was previously made on the 12 December 2006, using Money Claim Online (Claim Number 6QZ*****), for charges totaling £823 and interest at 8% totaling £95.93, plus £80 court fee. This claim was suspended by MCOL due to a Technical Error made by the Claimant as he mistakenly added the Claimants name as being Lloyds TSB Bank PLC and not himself. The Claimant was advised to make another claim using MCOL and then email the Customer Help Desk, when a new claim number was issued, the £80 fee would then be refunded to the Claimant by MCOL. However the Claimant decided due to the changes with the claim he would use an N1 claim form and file at his local County Court. Also during the time that the claim was suspended the Defendant refunded some of the charges to the Claimant on the 20th December 2006, to the value of £750.00. The Claimant has written to the Defendant on 21st December 2006 to thank him for this payment but, that it is only accepted as a partial settlement payment, the Claimant also stated that he would continue to claim for the remaining balance outstanding. An original Schedule of Claim for Charges is attached, as well as an amended Schedule of Claim for Charges. The Claimant states that in his amended Schedule of Claim for Charges, he has taken the £750 payment as partial settlement and divided this by the total number of charges, which gave the Claimant a figure of £30. This figure was then deducted by the Claimant from each of the individual charge amounts, to give an amended outstanding balance. The interest claimed is at the statutory rate of 8% per annum and is claimed up to the date when the Defendant made his partial refund payment to the Claimant on the 20th December 2006, and continues at a daily rate of £0.02 until full settlement is reached.

An amended Schedule of Claim for Charges is attached to these Particulars of Claim.

The Defendant will be sent an amended Schedule of Claim for Charges.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law.

5. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £73.00 and any interest charged thereon;

b) interest pursuant of s 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 £96.74, continuing at 8% until judgment or settlement at a daily rate of £0.02, the Defendant is aware of all details as a list of charges has already been supplied, another amended copy will be sent;

c) Court costs.

Statement of Truth

The Claimant believes that the facts stated in these Particulars of Claim are true.

Signed Date

Any thoughts

Tanz

Right just back from court, explained the previous situation to the court desk clerk, and i think it confused her, she ended up askin gif all the info was in the POC and Schedule of Claim, to which I replied of course she said "because the judge may want to see it, if it gets that far." to which I smiled, and thought doubt it very much.

Will pm mod claim number when the notice of issue comes in.

Bloody chore this has been just because of a silly Technical Error, as mentioned above. Will take more time next time. Also will be doing all future claims using an N1 as I much prefer this to MCOL, less chances of mistakes and more room. Oh well you learn from these sorts of things, don't you.

Tanz

Right now I am peed off.

Spoke to MCOL helpline the other week (who I have always comented on how helpful they are) and was told that due to my claim being suspended I would just need to re-file and then when I had a new claim number email the customer service help desk stating the new and old claim numbers. They would then refund me my other £80 fee.

Happy days I thought.

Anyway as those of you who have been reading my thread will know I have had to re-do my PoC and Schedule of Claim for charges. This has meant it has become to big for the space allowed on the MCOL site, so I decided to use an N1.

I thought well i will ring the MCOL help desk just to tell them that I have not yet been issued a new claim number as filed with local county court and haven't recieved notice of issue yet with this on.

The bloke said that they could not now refund the £80 fee as MCOL is a seperat entity. (HMCS still is it not?). I then explained a few point to him and he went to check, and came back and said i'm not sure if you will get this refunded but you can try emailing the help desk.

This was the email sent:

I am writing with regards to a previous claim which was suspended due to a technical error by myself. The Claim Number is 6QZ*****. My name is ****************** and I was told that my claim was suspended on 12/12/2006 due to the fact that I had entered the Defendants name in the Claimants section.

I realised this when I checked the claim status online towards the end of Dec 2006.

I had no notification from the court as to this fact.

I telephoned the MCOL helpdesk soon after realising what had happened and was informed that I would be refunded this money and all I had to do was to email the customer helpline to give them the my new claim number and also inform them of the old one.

During the time when my claim was suspended I received a partial payment from the Defendant which was paid into my account on 20th Dec 2006 of £750. This created lots of additional complications with my re-filing of my claim. As the schedule of claim for charges had to be amended, and so did the Particulars of Claim (POC). This meant that my POC, grew in size as I had to inform the courts of changes I had made and problems I had encountered, as well as partial payments etc from the defendant. So unfortunately there was not possible way I would have been able to fit all this information into the space for POC on MCOL. This has meant I had to use an N1 form which was submitted to my local county court in Worcester.

I am requesting that you refund me the £80 fee as my claim now has reduced in total to under £300 so the fee I’ve had to pay was £30. I don't need the MCOL service anymore, and have not really had much of a service so far as it was automatically suspended following submission. I request the £80 fee to be sent to me in a cheque made payable to ************, I live at **********************************************************************************************************************************

Also please note that I was told that all I had to do was to file a new claim and email the new claim number as well as the old claim number. I was never told that I had to re-use MCOL to enable a refund.

I look forward to a positive response.

Regards

This is the relpy I got back:

Thank you for using the Money Claim Online (MCOL) customer service emailaccount. Where your email is a general query we aim to reply with 24 hours (duringnormal office hours). Where you have made a specific request, it will beprocessed within 5 working days, as per current Money Claim Online targets. If you have requested a withdrawal of a claim prior to issue it will belooked at as a matter of priority. Where it is necessary to refer your claim to a District Judge fordirections, please allow 3-4 weeks for a response. This message is automatically generated. Please do not reply to thismessage. Thank you. Any thoughts on this as I don't want to have to file a claim to MCOL to try and get this back, but I will if I have too, that will be a first.Tanz

Just recieved this so it looks like I will be getting my £80 refund after all, so no claim going in against MCOL now. lol

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail. Please inform us when you have received your new claim number, and send your refund request together with a copy of the new case details, which can be obtained from Worcester County Court. Your request will then be passed to the relevant manager for authorisation.

David Brown

Administrative Officer

Money Claim Online

T: 0845 6015935

F: 0845 6015889

Just subscribing :)

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Hi Tanz,

Just subscribing, interested to see how you are doing. you are just waiting for some news i see :)

Glad to see you got your money back from MCOL OK - happy days indeed.

LloydsTSB - Current Account claim £5,554 settled unconditionally 25.4.2007 :D

If the Pondfish has helped click his scales! ;-)

Please donate to this site if you can! :-)

Defence reads:

• The defendant Lloyds TSB Bank plc (the Bank) is a Bank whose registered office is 25 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7HN. It is admitted that the Claimant has been a customer of the Bank at all material times.
  • By opening an account with the Bank, the customer enters into a commercial arrangement with the bank for the provision of banking services. The Bank is entitled, as part of that arrangement, to charge for those services. At account opening a customer is provided with details of the Banks charges, currently in a leaflet a guide to our banking charges. By using the account, the customer acknowledges that the charges are incorporated into the contract. For personal customers, a number of services are provided free, notwithstanding that they are an expense to the Bank. Such services presently include, but are not limited to, providing; Cheques, Bank Statements, the facility to make payments by direct debit and standing order, debit cards, ATMs (cash machines).
  • By maintaining the account in credit, or within any limit agreed by the Bank, the customer may avoid most if not all charges. If the customer fails to ensure that there are sufficient cleared funds in the account to cover payments, whether by cheque, debit card, standing order or direct debit, the customer makes a request to the bank for a payment to be made from the Banks own funds. If the Bank makes a payment, or returns a payment, it provides a service as specified in the leaflet and makes a charge in accordance with the terms of the contract. On page 1 of the leaflet, the Bank explains that “there are normally no charges for everyday banking at Lloyds TSB when your account is in credit. When you use an agreed overdraft, there is no monthly fee and we only charge interest on the amount you are overdrawn each day. Where you go overdrawn without an agreement or where you use a special service, such as a copy statement, we will make a charge. This guide explains how these charges work, and when they apply. If you want to use a service that we haven’t listed, we’ll tell you the cost of that service before you give us the go-ahead”.
  • There is no breach of contract; the charge cannot therefore be a penalty, consequently there is no requirement that the charge be a pre-estimate of the Bank’s Loss.
  • The customer is given advance warning of charges being imposed; statements show the charges, if any, the customer has incurred during the course of a month, and which will appear as debits on the following month’s statement. Customers are warned by letter when they go overdrawn or over their agreed limit without arrangement with the Bank. If the customer fails to remedy the position, and payments such as standing orders and direct debits are refused then again the customer is warned by letter.
  • The charges are fair and reasonable, and it is denied that they are unlawful.
  • The customer is notified of the charges in plain intelligible language at the conclusion of the contract, and on each monthly statement. The charge are terms which relate to the price payable by the customer for a service provided by the Bank, and pursuant to Regulation 6 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, are not subject to the assessment of fairness.
  • In the premises:

8.1 The charges are for banking services, and are not damages nor a penalty;

8.2 The Bank is entitled by contract to impose the charges, which are fair and reasonable;

8.3 It is denied that the charges are unlawful or contravene any statute or regulation.

9. The Claimant’s claim is denied in its entirety. It is further denied that the Claimant is entitled to the sum claimed or to any sum from the Bank (we’ll see then, wont we?)

Hi everyone

For all of you who have already had the experience of going through Lloyds bank statements:

Is a "UNAUTH' D. BORR FEE" the same as a "O/DRAFT EXCESS FEE"? :confused:

I have the first on my statements back IN 2001 and am notsure if this is actually a charge that can be claimed.

Thank you all :-)

Hi everyone

For all of you who have already had the experience of going through Lloyds bank statements:

Is a "UNAUTH' D. BORR FEE" the same as a "O/DRAFT EXCESS FEE"? :confused:

I have the first on my statements back IN 2001 and am notsure if this is actually a charge that can be claimed.

Thank you all :-)

IMO........If it looks like a penalty, sounds like a penalty, and barks like a penalty........it's a penalty.

Both the terms are pretty much the same thing. Just that in one instance you may have had some form of overdraft facility agreed, and in the other instance you maybe didn't. Regardless, they are both excessive charges for simply telling you you had gone over whatever limit you had agreed, and so subject to reclaim.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Defence reads:

• The defendant Lloyds TSB Bank plc (the Bank) is a Bank whose registered office is 25 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7HN. It is admitted that the Claimant has been a customer of the Bank at all material times.
  • By opening an account with the Bank, the customer enters into a commercial arrangement with the bank for the provision of banking services. The Bank is entitled, as part of that arrangement, to charge for those services. At account opening a customer is provided with details of the Banks charges, currently in a leaflet a guide to our banking charges. By using the account, the customer acknowledges that the charges are incorporated into the contract. For personal customers, a number of services are provided free, notwithstanding that they are an expense to the Bank. Such services presently include, but are not limited to, providing; Cheques, Bank Statements, the facility to make payments by direct debit and standing order, debit cards, ATMs (cash machines).
  • By maintaining the account in credit, or within any limit agreed by the Bank, the customer may avoid most if not all charges. If the customer fails to ensure that there are sufficient cleared funds in the account to cover payments, whether by cheque, debit card, standing order or direct debit, the customer makes a request to the bank for a payment to be made from the Banks own funds. If the Bank makes a payment, or returns a payment, it provides a service as specified in the leaflet and makes a charge in accordance with the terms of the contract. On page 1 of the leaflet, the Bank explains that “there are normally no charges for everyday banking at Lloyds TSB when your account is in credit. When you use an agreed overdraft, there is no monthly fee and we only charge interest on the amount you are overdrawn each day. Where you go overdrawn without an agreement or where you use a special service, such as a copy statement, we will make a charge. This guide explains how these charges work, and when they apply. If you want to use a service that we haven’t listed, we’ll tell you the cost of that service before you give us the go-ahead”.
  • There is no breach of contract; the charge cannot therefore be a penalty, consequently there is no requirement that the charge be a pre-estimate of the Bank’s Loss.
  • The customer is given advance warning of charges being imposed; statements show the charges, if any, the customer has incurred during the course of a month, and which will appear as debits on the following month’s statement. Customers are warned by letter when they go overdrawn or over their agreed limit without arrangement with the Bank. If the customer fails to remedy the position, and payments such as standing orders and direct debits are refused then again the customer is warned by letter.
  • The charges are fair and reasonable, and it is denied that they are unlawful.
  • The customer is notified of the charges in plain intelligible language at the conclusion of the contract, and on each monthly statement. The charge are terms which relate to the price payable by the customer for a service provided by the Bank, and pursuant to Regulation 6 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, are not subject to the assessment of fairness.
  • In the premises:

8.1 The charges are for banking services, and are not damages nor a penalty;

8.2 The Bank is entitled by contract to impose the charges, which are fair and reasonable;

8.3 It is denied that the charges are unlawful or contravene any statute or regulation.

9. The Claimant’s claim is denied in its entirety. It is further denied that the Claimant is entitled to the sum claimed or to any sum from the Bank (we’ll see then, wont we?)

Yawn. You'd think they'd have at least attempted to tweak it a little bit by now would'nt you?

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.