Returned NIP to police and heard nothing since **RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1099 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

i was caught speeding by a camera on M62 in November 2020. My car is registered to leasing company so I received NIP in January. I returned it and have heard not nothing since. I am just wondering what is going on and if I should be worried. Any advice would be great. I currently have 3 points on my licence from speeding in 2018 Thanks 

when in 2018 outside of 3yrs? from jan?

why don't you ring the relevant police force and ask?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I suspect that there is just a delay in processing due to Covid.

As they have your information including your address, then you should get a letter in due course. If you are due to move to a different address, then make sure you inform them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Just to add to the above, since it is now more than four months since the alleged offence, the chances of you being given the opportunity of a course or a fixed penalty are rapidly diminishing. Neither of those are offered much beyond four months as you have to be allowed time to take up the offer, during which period no prosecution can begin. They have to begin court proceedings within six months of the offence date.

Why I asked the alleged speed and limit is because, if the offence qualifies for an out-of-court disposal you should have heard by now. There is no general delay in processing offences because of Covid (certainly not to that extent).

Three scenarios spring to mind:

1. Your speed was too fast for a course or fixed penalty. If so the next you will hear will be in the form of a "Single Justice Procedure Notice" (a "summons" in old money). They have six months to issue that and in many areas they take all of that time, so you may not hear until a week or two after six months have elapsed.

2. Your response was not received. In this case you will find yourself on the wrong end of a charge under s172 of the RTA - "Failing to Provide Driver's Details." This a serious offence which carries a hefty fine, six points and an insurance crippling endorsement code (MS90).

3. Your response was received but any out of court offer sent to you didn't reach you. In this case it will be assumed you do not want to accept the offer and the same action as in (1) will be taken.

Let me know the speed and limit and I can tell you if you qualify for a course/fixed penalty. Meantime you should contact the ticket office to see if your reply has been received because you do not want (2) to happen in any circumstances. As well as that, if your reply has not been received and you act quickly you might just persuade them to offer you an out of court remedy.

• Thanks 1

That speed would qualify for a speed awareness course (provided you have not done one for an offence committed in the three years prior to this one). In fact it is the very lowest speed at which action is taken (Limit + 10% + 2mph). I think, even if the offence was in late November, the good ship "awareness course" may have sailed. It's also getting dangerously close to being too late for a Fixed Penalty.

You should have heard by now (in fact well before now). You should contact the ticket office to find out (1) whether your response has been received and (2) if it has, how has your case been progressed. There is a possibility (though remote) that action may have already begun for "Failing to provide driver's details."  You really need to find out what the position is. 

Edited by Man in the middle
  • Thanks 1

Keep careful track of what you do, who you speak to and keep copies of anything you send.

Whilst some areas accept e-mail submissions from people nominating somebody else as the driver (e.g. as the lease company has in your case) in the normal course of events (even during Covid times) a written response (that is, on paper and signed) is required when making a reply to a s172 request if you were the driver. This is because the response is used as evidence that you were driving should you challenge the speeding allegation. 

On 08/04/2021 at 23:55, Vics38 said:

.. I received NIP in January. I returned it and have heard not nothing since. I am just wondering what is going on and if I should be worried. ...

On 09/04/2021 at 06:24, Vics38 said:

...It was September 2018. I sent and email but have heard nothing so far 

On 09/04/2021 at 13:39, Vics38 said:

I have rang them again and they said to send another email! ...

Another email?  That's strange.  You did reply to the s172 request by regular mail and not by email I hope? 

And when you 'phoned them did you ask whether they had actually received your 172 nomination?  I'm not sure why they would want "another" email from you if they had already received your nomination...

As Man in the Middle said, keep a full and detailed record of who you've spoken to, when you spoke to them, what you asked, and what they answered.

On 09/04/2021 at 13:39, Vics38 said:

... I will keep you all posted :)

Huh!  I wouldn't start smiling yet if I were you...

It’s all good. They informed me that it was just a delay due to covid. I will receive the letter regarding my 3 points and a fine soon. Makes me wonder if they would have done it in time had I not chased and chased them. Oh well 

• Thanks 1

Well. I got a letter in the post today 

We refer to your recent correspondence. The circumstances in relation to the alleged offence have been reviewed and I can confirm on this occasion no further action will be taken.

The matter is now closed on our system

:whoo:

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Returned NIP to police and heard nothing since **RESOLVED**