Lost/Stolen Parcel - InPost via Parcel2go Booking

Posted (edited)

Hello All!

I'm soooo lucky to stumble upon your Forum of excellence. Honestly love your work here guys!!

(Following a format of a post I recently saw, plagiarism at its best hehe)

I recently booked a label for postage, for an eBay buyer to return a highly expensive Graphics Card they weren't happy with, so I can then inspect and assess. 

Little did I know, I was in for a fight as this is how it all came about:

26/02/2021;

Booked and sent a postage label via Parcel2Go website to buyer via eBay, using the InPost drop off service. Value declared £1200. No extra insurance taken.

6/03/2021;

Received a delivery associated with the GPU (Graphics Card) but found they sent me a dressing robe instead of my intended item.

6/03/2021;

Opened a claim that my item was lost. Parcel2go stated I wait 14 days as they investigate what happened. 

SNAPSHOT OF WHAT IS SHOWING IN THE CLAIM TO DATE: -

Enquiry updates:

March 23rd 2021, 3:02 pm Rejected Parcel protection not taken. Parcel protection not taken
March 12th 2021, 11:50 pm Pending Courier
March 6th 2021, 5:58 pm Submit To Courier We have requested further information directly from courier, we will let you know once they have replied to our request
March 6th 2021, 5:58 pm Create Enquiry 

Tracking also showed "Hold. Requested information from courier" on this date, 5.09pm. After the loss enquiry was generated.

23/03/2021;

Spoke to Parcel2go on their LIVE CHAT but had been shut down on every occasion.

Then an update on my Enquiry stated: Enquiry showed " Rejected. Parcel protection not taken. Parcel protection not taken. ".

TODAY 04/04/2021;

I contact you for what my next step should be. I'm willing to go all the way.

I have photographic and video proof from my buyer that they placed the item in the drop box and closed its door.

I also have photographic and video proof of receiving the incorrect parcel into my hands by the driver via my Hostel's CCTV footage.

Not to add I have found some suspicious handling within the tracking details via the eBay tracker. As shown below.

Delivery package 2 of 2

Delivered on Sat, 6 Mar 2021
- Hide shipping details
ZOTAC ZT-T20810D-10P Gaming Geforce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Graphic Card - RRP £1,300

I have a suspicious feeling you are going to ask whether I have read what was on the other forums.

I have but I would also like a brief on my next steps and whether I have missed something on the other forums.

So do I progress with an email stating I will be sending them a Letter before action or just go right ahead sending them a letter?

Also initially when booking the postage label, I had written down the value to be £1,200, as I initially thought they wanted what the Graphic Card is worth in the market. Or do I go by the value of the eBay invoice which was around about £700?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Edited by dx100uk

. So you say that you have done the reading and you understand all the various arguments that are likely to be put forward by Hermes. That's a very good start.

In relation to your question as to what value you can claim – the aim of contract damages is to put you to the position that you would have been in if the contract had been successfully carried out. This means that if the graphics card had been properly returned to you then you wouldn't have been out of pocket by £700 and therefore, £700 is what you can claim for in contract.

Because it seems that the graphics card has been stolen, then you could bring an action in the Tort of Conversion and recover the full market value but unfortunately you aren't able to identify the person who actually stole the card and you would have to sue them directly to recover that level of damages.

So the answer is that you will have to sue for the value for which you sold the card and then for which you presumably, refunded the purchaser.

If you think that you have exhausted all avenues of claim and they have knocked you back definitively, then yes hour is the time to send them a letter of claim.

I suggest that you post the draft here before you send it off.

Presumably you are aware of the rest of the steps. Presumably you are aware of the procedure for starting a small claim in the County Court and the mediation process if it goes to that – as it probably will

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay,

Attached is the Letter of Claim, if you approve I will proceed with sending it Tuesday morning. Then send a courtesy email to parcel2go that, a Letter of Claim has been sent and they have 14 days to respond.

Thanks

Parcel2Go Letter of Claim.pdf

One more thing that I forgot to ask was. Is sending the Letter of Claim directly to their email, as effective as sending them a hard copy?

I will be sending out the hard copy anyway.

I'm just curious if a hard copy is mandatory.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

On 05/04/2021 at 08:27, BankFodder said:

So you say that you have done the reading and you understand all the various arguments that are likely to be put forward by Hermes. That's a very good start.

i was actually confused by BF's use of Hermes above, which must be an innocent mistake, as nowhere in post 1 do you mention hermes..

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Whoops – sorry.

I'm afraid that it is so often Hermes that I get into "Hermes" mode and just start rattling stuff off without thinking.

It doesn't change very much though. In this case because you're not up against packlink, you can either decide to sue P2G or Hermes – who I believe are the courier.

You as all your correspondence so far has been with P2G then you may as well proceed against them. Your contract is with them directly. Had it been with Packlink who are based in Spain, then you would have had to use your third party rights and sue Hermes.

Have I unravelled it a bit for you?