• Tweets

• I've just taken another look through the stuff they sent me in response to the CPR request, the notice of assignment isn't the original , it's on a plain sheet of non letterhead paper, in fact it could have easily been typed up by Overdales, or anybody really.  On the other side of the paper are standard Lowell terms and conditions that are only half on the page. Should this be part of my defence?
    • I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Tarmac Driveway done by Tom Diggins Stockport Driveways, judgment plus costs - ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I suggest that you send your own email to the court and point out that although you have attempted to engage him in the choice of expert that he would not co-operate.  Point out also so that he has given different reasons for not coping to you and to the court.

I suggest that you inform the court on Friday.

Maybe give the court a ring before that and check that you can inform the court simply by letter.

Update: Spoke to the Court today to check if they had received a WS from the Defendant but they haven't.

The WS and evidence I sent to the Defendant by recorded delivery was unable to be delivered and hasnt been collected from the sorting office yet. The guy I spoke to at Court suggested I email it to the Defendant and CC the Court.

The survey of the drive took place today so I should have the report by the end of next week.

I plan to write to the Court and let them know that the Defendant has missed the deadline and request that anything submitted from now on is disregarded.

Is it a good idea to email the WS and evidence to the Defendant or should I email him and prompt him to collect the original from the sorting office? 

Do everything you can which makes you look completely cooperative and as if you have gone the distance to involve him

• Like 1

Recorded delivery isn’t required, and can be refused / left uncollected, and then you know it hasn’t been received

send a copy ordinary first class post (which is all that is required!). Get a (free!) certificate of posting.

You (and the court!) are then entitled to rely on the Interpretation Act, which will presume it had been delivered on the second working day after posting ……,

if he is trying to play silly side by refusing recorded delivery, more lookout for him when he says he never received it, and you tell the judge “I sent it by both recorded delivery, and in case he declined such a delivery, ordinary 1st class, too…….”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: CPR Part 35 report arrived today. Condemns the work carried out, backs up everything I have put in my claim and subsequent witness statement/evidence. States that the whole job should be removed and re-done and the costings are pretty much bang on with the estimates I put forward.

I have sent it to the court as the deadline is tomorrow by 4pm.

I am guessing there is little to no chance of the defendant getting a judgment in his favour

• I agree 1

Yes clearly it is almost inconceivable that you won't get your judgement.

I think you should probably start preparing for the enforcement stage although do be aware that further non-cooperation could possibly result in delays as a judge might feel moved to act in the interests of Justice and to be extra cautious and maybe give him extra chances to get involved in to put inside of the the story.

This is pretty unlikely but it does happen because he is a litigant in person after all.

I seem to remember that you ascertained that he was in fact the owner of a property and if I were you I would double-check this at some point to make sure that there hasn't been some change of ownership.

Please could you tell us what the next deadline is and what it is for.

If the hearing date is round the corner then fair enough but if there are further procedures to go through then I'm wondering whether a suitable next step might be to apply for a summary judgement.

Summary judgement is where you make an application to the court on the basis that there is no no reasonable defence and no prospect of success of trial and so you should therefore be given judgement immediately.

It would be the cost of the application notice to make this application but it might be a very sensible move. 

It seems to me that you have very strong chance of obtaining a summary judgement and I think that if you decided to make the application that you should ask the judge that if  the court was not inclined to grant the summary judgement then as a condition of not doing so and given the defendant's lack of engagement in the process, that they should order the defendant to pay money into court.

If the defendant did not pay the money into court then summary judgement would be granted.

I'm making the suggestion partly because I think that you have very good chance of success but also because I'm very worried about this defendant's lack of cooperation and  whether  there might be some surprise around the corner when you come to enforcing the judgement.

By the way, on the question of judgement we need to be clear right now but the moment you do get a judgement that you instruct sheriff's full stop not County Court bailiffs.

You do not want to make the mistake that another person on this forum made. They followed our advice , received their judgement but then went off on their own andinstead of bringing the sheriffs, they instructed County Court bailiffs and I believe that it took 3 months before the  judgement was eventually enforced.

I've gone through the entire thread from the very beginning.

I now see the the next deadline is set for 4th of November when it is the court hearing.

I suppose that this is the trial of the issue.

The defendant has not cooperated at all even to the extent of failing to comply with the court order which requires statements etc to be provided by the 31st of August.

I'm concerned about the possibility of enforcement and I think that the 4th of November is too long to wait.

I think the situation warrants an application notice to be made inviting the charge to strike eyes defence and to give you a summary judgement plus litigant in person costs.   And that if the judge is not inclined to grant the judgement that the judge should order that the sum claimed should be paid into court as a condition of continuing.

I think that the cost of an application notice to do this would be about £255. Clearly you will get this back so long as you are able to enforce the judgement for the entire sum.

How do you feel about this suggestion?

Unfortunately with the courts stretched the way they are this won't be an instant solution and I could imagine it would probably take two to three weeks for the matter to be dealt with. 

However it will be far more satisfactory than waiting until the 4th of November.

Especially when you have no idea whether on the 4th of November there won't be some further delay or some excuse by the defendant which then pushes the date even later.

Summary judgment isn’t “an option for an early trial”. It is for when there aren’t any triable issues.

So the report being clearly in favour of C can’t be used to say “trial not needed”. The trial is where the judge considers the report.

An application for the judgment sum to be paid into court because D hasn't been complying could be useful, and could add pressure on D. Whether it’d be heard before the main hearing on the 4th November is another matter, though!

Adding in a request for summary judgment that can be successfully opposed by the one line response of “the issues remain to be determined, the trial is where that should happen, including where the report should be considered” risks losing that application fee, though.

• Thanks 2

I had suggested that the hearing was so far ahead that it would be worth applying for a summary judgement but then I realised that this itself would require some kind of hearing and so so it wouldn't make any sense to make the application .

• I agree 1

Thank you.

There are no more deadlines at the moment apart from payment of hearing fee by 7th October.

The DF eventually made his half of the payment for the expert witness so he complied with that at least. He has had a copy of the report so this may trigger a reaction or he could bury his head in the sand, I will have to wait and see.

He has a tendency to leave things then all of a sudden either complains about something or makes an offer. I am happy to sit back and wait for the hearing now unless things take a turn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening,

Just an update:

I rang the Court today to find out if they had received anything from the defendant. Apparently, he submitted some documents on 23rd and 24th August in the form of invoices and screenshots. He missed the deadline of 16th August for submission and he also hasn't sent me copies of the documents.

The Court advised me to write to the Judge to ask that he disregards this evidence and to also say this on the day if the Defendant tries to rely on this during the hearing.

I have written to the Court today.

The defendant has basically been late on all the Court deadlines and has failed to comply with the directions so I am hoping the Judge will take this into account

• Thanks 1

At the very least, when it comes to the issue of whether or not to award discretionary costs, I'm sure that the judge will take this into account.

I hope you are keeping a good spreadsheet tally of all the time and expense you are being put to as a result of this

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Is there anyone available to offer advice before I contact the Court please?

I wrote the Court on 14.9.21 to let them know I had not received a witness statement or any evidence from the defendant by the court deadline and to ask that anything submitted prior to the hearing or on the day is disregarded.

Last night, I received a string of emails from the DF which are copies of emails he sent to the court between 20th - 23rd August, in which he made comments and attached photos of some letters/email exchanges, some receipts for disposal of waste and a scrawled handwritten witness statement by his colleague. 

The WS I have been sent does not show a date and does not have a statement of truth on it. It also contains a blatant lie where his colleague says he was present during an on-site conversation when he wasnt.

The DF has removed all dates from the emails I sent and has written times/dates on himself. More worrying though, is that one of the submissions is a copy of an email I sent to the DF but when he has sent it to the court, he has removed a crucial sentence to sway the truth. I have also submitted the original and true copy of this email in my evidence so I can prove it is incorrect.

The 3 copy invoices he has provided for the disposal of waste... The first one is for 2 x disposals on a date before he even started the job and the 3rd one is a duplicate pdf copy of the 2nd invoice.

I am going to write to the court again to let them know the date I received this evidence and would like to point out the errors and the misleading information he has provided.

Before I do this, I wanted to ask advice on the seriousness of what he has done and whether I just simply point this out to the Court or if there is any action I can take?

Thank you in advance

This needs some thought and some planning.

No super urgency but get ready to send the court something on Monday.

Standby for a further response later or response from my site team colleague @Andyorch

• Thanks 1

Start off by making a numbered list of the misleading representations.

Short sentence to describe each.

Identify what you take to be the three most serious.

Post the list here numbered

• Like 1

Here are my points...difficult to choose my top 3 most serious but I would the top 3 as point 6, point 7 and point 2, in that order?

1.       Witness statement by Defendant’s colleague does not show a date or address of the witness and it does not contain a statement of truth.

2.       Above WS contains two blatant lies. The first one being, the witness states he was present during a conversation between the claimant’s partner and the DF on the day when it was pointed out to the DF that there was a fault with the work. He was not present. The second being, he states a conversation took place between myself, my partner the DF and the witness about waiting a week before the tarmac was laid to let the concrete set and that we both said we were very happy with their hard work. This conversation did not take place.

3.       Above WS states that all waste removed on the first day and a delivery of supplies was delivered the following day. This is inconsistent with the DF’s statement and also does not match the waste disposal receipts that the DF has submitted as evidence.

4.       The DF submitted numerous emails to the Court containing evidence but after the deadline of 16.8.21. He made comments in his emails but didn’t not include a statement of truth.

5.       The DF has submitted 5 x copy emails as evidence, all of which do not show the dates the emails took place and the DF has hand written times/dates on the evidence.

6.       The DF has submitted a copy of an email I sent to him. The original says “It is clear we cant agree on this matter and, until we have had some independent assessments, there is little point in discussing it any further at this point”. The DF has removed “Until we have had some independent assessments”. This is an attempt to mislead the Judge into thinking I dealt with things differently than I actually did.

7.       The DF submitted 3 x waste disposal invoices to show how much waste he had removed from site. The 1st invoice has four entries on it, 2 on 16.2.21 and 2 on 19.2.21. The job did not start until 19.2.21. The 3rd invoice is a duplicate pdf of the 2nd invoice. These submissions are misleading and give a false representation of the actual amounts of waste removed from site.

8.       The DF has named a 2nd witness who he says can verify that the brickwork was laid correctly. This is the Mother of his colleague who he says dropped off some lunch one day and had a look at what they were doing. The DF has told the court he will submit a statement. I have not been given a copy of any such statement.