worried about hmrc investigation

anxious4
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i'm new to this and really worried sick so please no haters:( 

have come here as everywhere else's i have looked has made me feel more worse than what i already was with the  horror stories and nasty comments.

so long story short , 

i have been claiming as a single parent for 2 years and 9 months when in fact i moved in with my partner and my

name is on the agreement.   we were only together 4 months when i fell pregnant with twins . towards the end of my pregnancy my elder daughter was struggling to get along with my new partner , it caused a lot of arguments so we went back home . in the mean time added the twins to my claim .

when the  twins were a couple of months old and then we agreed to give our relationship another go. since then we have been living together. twins were born early feb 2019.

in nov just gone 2020 i got one of those standard letters about is my claim right and i came to the realisation that i didn't change over.  so from then o have been ill with stress and being pregnant i didn't want to change it as i didn't want any added stress to my already stressful pregnancy. 

i had my son 2 weeks ago and straight after i logged online and put my changes through , relationship and change of address. i put my change of address as the week before as i didn't know what to do. it said my claim has ended but have not heard anything yet. 

i will owe about 15000 all together if they realise what i have done. i know i have been stupid and it's no excuse but with covid, being constantly on lockdown , i totally forgot.  now all i can think of is going to prison and leaving my family . i don't know what i am expecting in the post  but i just can't eat, sleep , i have a new born and 2 year old twins that i can't mentally look after as my head won't allow me to think of anything else.

any advice please . 

Hello and welcome to CAG. We don't judge people, just try to give practical advice.

You aren't going to prison, please forget about that. You've done the right thing by stopping your claim but now you need to wait to hear from the benefits people about sorting out your overpayment on affordable terms for you.

Please have a read around this forum of other threads by people in exactly the same position as you. They all turn up feeling terrified like you and then eventually they hear from HMRC and arrange repayment. Everyone we've seen feels so much better afterwards and nobody has gone to prison.

There are lots of threads where people have reported back and been relieved, please have a read around. :)

Best, HB

• Thanks 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

my problem is is that i told a lie on my move in date . so i don't even know if they will look in to it . 

i know  these things always catch up in the end i just on constant edge as to when . 

i might wait to see if they send me a final tax reward with what i owe for the last month i claimed , then maybe ring them and tell them the date is wrong? 

i want to pay it back and wake up with no worry i am just scared that it will go the other way and i will go to court and prison  

Please believe me, we haven't seen anyone from here go to prison or even court.

It's up to you if you want to wait longer and wake up worrying for however long it takes to hear from HMRC. One of the mottos of anxiety management is 'What can I do to short circuit this rather than carry on suffering?'. The sooner you make the phone call, the sooner you'll start to feel better. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

nothing will happen to you

as HB says, no-one goes to prison , regardless to if they told a white lie or not. that only happens to serious persistent mostly gang related criminals that purposefully set out to defraud our benefit system.

you'll simply at the end of the days might have a small amount deducted from any on going related benefit you might be entitled too or via a loingterm payment plan.

pop up on the HMRC site and type in SAR

get one of those running to them to prove they have the data to backup their claim.

pers i wouldn't be worrying about the date issue, all this will comeout in the wash over the coming weeks. just be truthful and honest should you arrange a call with them to discuss things. that's always the best policy.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You won’t go to prison , you will just have a small monthly amount clawed back from your future tax credit or Universal credit.

Look back over previous threads here, you will see you are in a long line of similar situations, all now resolved without any problems.

The people who go to prison for this are mainly people working for HMRC, scamming their employer or people using sophisticated identity fraud etc to claim benefits. Even some of these end up with a suspended sentence.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

i won't be entitled to any benefits so will have to pay it off monthly. 

what are they like with payments? 

are they likely to do any form of investigation or will offer payment plan straight away 

they will offer a repayment scheme to suit your financial position, which if you don't agree with can always be varied later.

let time take it's course for now 

nothing to worry about seriously!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sar click it

but as said use the online version on the hmrc site

and they

As someone who used to work a civil service department with a great deal of overlap with HMRC believe me the headlines the press relate to are designed to scare people into not committing benefit fraud.  Quite frankly Both HMRC and DWP do not send people to prison.  

I would recommend quite simply ring Tax credits and explain you made a mistake you won’t be the first person to do that in these stressful times of COVID.  They will understand and the most likely outcome will be they will reduce your tax credits until you have paid the overpayment off.

I used to work in benefit fraud teams for DWP only the most serious cases where intent to defraud the government has been proved.

in twenty years I only once saw someone go to prison as a result of a unrelated matter.

take time think clearly be honest with them and you will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

hows this going?

and they