• Tweets

• they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
    • Please provide advice on the following situation: I rented out my property to four students for 16 months until March 2024. Initially, the property was in very good condition, but now it needs extensive renovation. This includes redoing the bathroom, replacing the kitchen, removing wallpaper, and redecorating due to significant mould growth. The tenants also left their furniture on the grass, which is owned by the local authority. As a landlord, I've met all legal requirements. It seems the damage was caused by poor ventilation—windows were always closed, and heating wasn't used. There was also a bathroom leak fixed by reapplying silicone. I tried to claim insurance, but it was denied, citing tenant behaviour as the cause by looking at the photos, which isn't covered. The deposit barely covers the repair costs, or else I'll have to pursue money claims, which I've never done before and am unsure about its legal complications or costs. Any thoughts on this?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Client asking for refund on carpentry job

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, 

My husband is a self employed carpenter. He has another job too and the carpentry is a business that he hopes to do full time one day. I help him with emails and telephone calls etc. 
A lady contacted us at the beginning of the year as she'd seen a post on our facebook page showing a picture of a recycling bin storage unit that my husband had made. 

She said she wanted one a bit like that and asked how much. I explained that as the unit was built some time ago, we would need to get a price for materials in order to give her a fixed quote, but gave her an estimate. She said it was a bit much, and would one without a door make any difference, to which I replied, not a lot, but we can make a simpler design. She agreed and we went and met her and her husband, my husband took measurements of the space she wanted it in, we had a chat about what she wanted it to look like etc and she was very laid back and just said "just something that hides the unsightly recycle bins, it doesn't have to look exactly like the one in the picture" and my husband told her it wouldn't look exactly the same anyway as he doesn't make everything identical and that the one in the picture the door turned out to be a bit too heavy. 

So we got a quote for materials and I phoned her with a quote and she said it was too much. I came down to a price she was happy with but explained it would mean that it would be slightly less detailed and she was happy with that. She paid the deposit by BACS in order for us to purchase materials up front. One month later I contacted her and arranged for us to deliver the item to her. 
We got there and she was delighted, and her and her husband seemed very happy. She paid the rest of the balance in cash and was very chatty and friendly. 

We showed her how the bins fit in and my husband secured it into the place she wanted it. 

Got home to an email from her "I'm not at all happy with it, it's bigger than the one in the picture and the door isn't the same". 
Husband called her and she was very angry, shouting at him that it's an eye sore and that he must come back and make it smaller, to which he calmly replied that he would be unable to do as it would mean completely taking it all apart and ordering different sized pieces of timber. He confirmed that the measurements were the same as the one in the picture (we actually went and measured the one in the picture and it was actually smaller bigger than the one she bought) but she just kept saying "it's not what I expected, it looks bigger and the door is not the same". 
She then sent an email saying that the item is not what she expected and therefore she wants a full refund and included her bank details. 

Now, as I understand it, because the 14 day cooling off period ended 14 days after she paid the deposit and agreed (contracted) to go ahead, that she is no longer covered under that. I also believe that because she was happy with it when we delivered it and paid the remaining balance, that that means that the transaction is complete. 
I will add that we are not in a position to refund her money - 60% of it went on materials and the rest we used to put fuel in the vehicle and then did a food shop. We live hand to mouth, any money made from the business goes straight into the household. 

The item is fit for purpose, the measurements are the same as the "one in the photo" and match the space we measured on our first visit. 
It seems that this is a case of she simply doesn't like the way it looks. I have the e-mails where it states the door won't be the same and that she was happy with this. Thoughts on this?

Now, as I understand it, because the 14 day cooling off period ended 14 days after she paid the deposit and agreed (contracted) to go ahead, that she is no longer covered under that. 

Not applicable anyway as the item was bespoke 

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

So do you mean she hasn't a leg to stand on?

I meant to say too that all items he builds are bespoke and he designs them and builds them from scratch, the timber is cut to order from a local sawmill.

The client said she didn't need to see design drawings beforehand. 

The business is literally not making any money (yearly outgoings such as vehicle running costs, tools and insurance are more than income at the moment). 

9 minutes ago, thedryad said:

So do you mean she hasn't a leg to stand on?

Correct

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thank you.

Can you clarify the grounds on which she cannot take this further (i.e. threaten small claims, trading standards etc).

I am of the understanding that Trading Standards would simply advise her of her rights and that they don't take on cases. 

She can try to take it further......but it will be in vain and further loss to herself. She wouldn't have paid the balance if she was not happy with her product.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-cancel-an-online-order-ah8tt8e97qxi

Thank you. Would this count as an online order though? It was a verbal agreement confirmed by email when she paid the deposit and then of course completed the transaction in person when she paid cash in acceptance for the item delivered. By paying the remaining balance she accepted the item and the transaction was complete, am I right?

she is arguing that it is misrepresented and she did not get what she paid for. But she should have said something when it was delivered and not handed over the cash all smiley and happy. 

Distance selling.....unless she was in your front room and asked for it verbally.

But not for bespoke items.

This is the one in the photo that she said she wanted one like: 

And this is the one that my husband made for her (with a different door catch as she requested).

This is it at her house after delivery, being used! 
bin_storage.jpg (480×640) (filebin.net)

The first picture is of the one she said she wanted her's to look like. The last three are the ones my husband made for her, the last one is of it after it was delivered to her, with her bins in it (being used). 

photos.pdf

So, honestly, given that she had accepted that it wouldn't be exactly like the one in the original photo and that my husband had to change the design to suit her needs (given the location of where it was going to be, allow more air flow etc).. 

Looks a great job ...exactly what a Bin shed should look like.

She claims it was "misrepresented" but we disagree - is that down to interpretation? She is saying it looks different and it much much bigger than expected, yet how can she know that unless she asked for measurements of the "one in the picture" (she did not" and neither did she discuss measurements with us - my husband took measurements of the space where she wanted it to go and she was happy with what was discussed. 

• 4 weeks later...

She has sent a "letter before court" and states:
"I am once again requesting a full refund of the purchase price of £260 on the grounds that
the goods were not of satisfactory quality under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The goods
are unused and available for collection and resale.
I would like a reply as soon as possible so that I know you have received this letter/email. If I
do not receive a satisfactory response from you within 14 days of the date of this letter, I
intend to issue proceedings against you in the county court without further notice. This may
increase your liability for costs.
I refer you to the Practice Direction on pre-action conduct under the Civil Procedure Rules,
and in particular to paragraph 13-16 which sets out the sanctions the court may impose if
you fail to comply with the Practice Direction."

Simply respond...you are in receipt of their notice dated xxxxx. As previously advised the item was a bespoke item built to your specifications and approval on delivery. The item in question is not subject to the cancellation rights of the  Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Only faulty items may be considered for a partial refund under the CRA2015 but in this instance you inspected and paid the balance on delivery and therefore was satisfied with the bespoke item.

Any court claim will be vigorously defended with costs.

Yours sincerely 

Well thanks everyone for your comments and help and confirming what I already suspected, that she doesn't have a case. We're not scared of being taken to court or having a CCJ, in the unlikely case that she won.

In the unlikely event she won at court, you can still avoid a CCJ being registered against you by settling in full within 30, including court fees.

This would avoid the CCJ showing on your credit files for 6 years.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)