Lowell Claimform - old British Gas util debt.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1065 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm sitting here trying to fill in a defence on the Money Claim Online over a CCJ claim form received from Lowell. I've tried to find some help on this forum but can't find anyone who's experienced the same issue. Long story short. 4 years ago after a failed suicide attempt I left hospital and moved in with family, I never returned to my home. I moved a couple of times and now live with my husband at our address for the past 2 1/2 years.

Out of the blue I received a letter demanding money from Lowells and another from Lucas Credit, yes I should have called but just stuck it at the back of my mind. Now the have made a claim through the county court for an outstanding debt to British Gas for £1795.71 this includes statuary interest they are adding on.

They're claim states I failed to maintain payments under an agreement, but our home had a pre paid meter. I want to defend this but I need to know how. Have I left this too late. We don't have any debt and my husband has a good credit record but we are not wealthy and can't really afford to repay this quickly if we have to.

Anyone help?

Topic moved to Financial Legal Issues Forum

Please read the following link and then copy the Q,s and your responses back here for further advice.....do not submit a defence until we advise further.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Andyorch changed the title to Don't know where to turn Lowells Court Claim Received

Name of the Claimant ? lowell

Date of issue – 18 March 2021

Particulars of Claim

What is the claim for – 

1.The claim is for the sum of £1491.40 due by the defendant under a British Gas account with an account reference of xxxx.

2. The defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required under the terms of the account agreement

3.The debt was legally assigned to the claimant on 11-12-18 notice of which has been given to the defendant

4.The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £119.31

The Claimant claims the sum of £1610.71.

What is the total value of the claim? 1795.71

Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?Yes

Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? British Gas Bill

Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? No

Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Give NO

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After

Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? If i did enter into an agreement I dont remember

Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt purchaser

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? No

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? No

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? No

Why did you cease payments? Had a pre payment meter no payments to be made

What was the date of your last payment? Give answer here

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan?No

is that all the poc says?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks.....okay if not already you must acknowledge service of claim by Monday 5th April 4.00pm...and tick you intend to defend all of the claim. You can do this on line by following the instructions contained within the court claim response pack.Do not submit a defence yet.

Then refer back to my link and send the claimants solicitor a CPR 31.14 request for any documents referred to within its particulars.

That's all you need to do  for now.

By Monday the 19th April 4.00pm you must submit a defence........come back nearer this date and we can provide a standard defence.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

This is much appreciated. The POC does mention the debt was legally assigned on 11/12/18 notice of which was given to the defendant and the claim includes statuary interest under S.69 of the County Courts Act 1984. I am in the process of filling in the defence online but I'm not sure how to phrase my defence

you do not file a defence yet!

just do AOS

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Good

Slowdown and calmdown.

There are numerous lowell util claimform threads already

might pay you to use our search in the top red banner for those 3 words.

now the cpr 31.14 request.

i know its a pain, but we need the poc typed out here exactly as it appears on the claimform, as that exact wording might dictate what documents you can ask for.

Dx

and they

3 hours ago, tommy2000 said:

Thank you dx I have done as you suggested. My AOS was acknowledged this afternoon. So pleased I contacted you as i was half way through my defence statement.

Well I have told you twice already not to submit the defence at this stage...:classic_biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou all for the help you have provided so far. I now have to file my defense and could use some advise. I sent off my request for cpr 31 it was received and signed for on 9/4/2021 but have not had any response. What do I do now?

• dx100uk changed the title to Lowell Claimform - old British Gas debt.

can we have the exact POC please as written.

dx

and they

Thanks dx

POC

1.The claim is for the sum of £1491.40 due by the defendant under a British Gas account with an account reference of xxxx.

2. The defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required under the terms of the account agreement

3.The debt was legally assigned to the claimant on 11-12-18 notice of which has been given to the defendant

4.The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £119.31

I have since received a letter from Overdales Solicitors dated 1/4/2021 asking me to respond to the claim or contact them to discuss payment options.

Do you think it might be a good idea to try and make an arrangement?

god no you never give if they no real proof by all the bills.

defence due by 4pm tomorrow monday.

so have you read a few of the lowell until claimform threads that are here in abundance and got an ideas what to put.?

it's better you have a go and we correct it else you wont have a clue going forward.

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to Lowell Claimform - old British Gas util debt.

dx

I have been reading the forum on Lowell claimform for hours and to be honest I don't really understand them.

As for my defence I feel my only option is to deny the debt due to not being provided by the claimant any proof of this debt.

I have had 3 addresses since being a British Gas customer and I have mail going as far back as 2015 and there is nothing from BG or Lowell until January 6 this year.

Reading through other posts I realise now I should have sent off for a copy of the agreement I had with BG. Have I left this too late?

Tommy2001

theres no agreement with utils.

did you send off the CPR 31:14

and they

and they

Why didnt you follow advice and post it up for checking?

what did you file please?

and they

dx

I have not yet signed or submitted yet. I'm just hanging on as long as possible for the post to see if they have replied to my request for cpr31

Defence 

1.the Defendant contends that the Claimants particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2.Paragraph 1 is noted. It is accepted that I have in the past had a financial arrangement with British Gas. The claimant has given no details as to the full breakdown of their claim and what dates it relates to, so I am unable to defend specifically.

3. Paragraph 2 is denied as I'm unaware what dates or address of property the claimant refers to within its particulars. I have therefore made a request pursuant to CPR 31.14 signed for by them on 9/4/2021 which the claimants have failed to respond.

4. Paragraph 4 is denied. I am unaware of an assignment and have have never been served with a Notice of Assignment pursuant to sec 136 of Law of Property Act 1925

5.Where a claim is based upon a written agreement a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement,  the original(s) should be available at the hearing along with a complete breakdown of how the charges accrued by date and amount under civil procedure rules Practice Direction 16 (7.3).

6. Therefore  with the court's permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to:-

a) show and disclose how and where the Defendant has entered into an agreement.
b) show and disclose how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed.
c) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute
or equity to issue a claim.

7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

8. It is therefore denied that the defendant is indebted to the claimant as alleged or at all.

wait you can't be penalised any as you are a litigant in person (joe public)

you have leeway of a day or two.

we'll check it tonight

dx

and they

that needs work but is generally good

para 1 is missing a sentence 

more later

and they