halifax executor access to account information blocked

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After the death of my mother my sister and brother were made joint executors . My sister is trying to check all the accounts as she has good reason to believe there is a missing account .She wants to access any closed accounts. My brother who original went to the Halifax and said he was the sole executor is now blocking her attempts at access. The Halifax says that both parties need to agree before they can give out information. Your thoughts please.

Hi my sister is holding back on probate as she feels that there is an amount hidden that will disappear. Yes Halifax now know there are two executors. This is blocking access to subsidiary banks also. Not sure what documents my sister has sent but some proof that she is an executor . thanks

Well if they can't act together, they could have a few problems.

This link has some information that applies to you, not all of it may apply though. I don't know much about Co-op Legal Servces but you'd expect them to be ethical.

https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk/media-centre/articles-apr-jun-2019/what-happens-when-joint-executors-disagree/

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Well unless they can sort it between them it's going to be hard to get the information from the Halifax. It might be worth your sister ringing the Probate Office helpline. They say they don't offer legal advice but they may have come across this before. 

I don't think there's anyone in authority to make executors behave reasonably. Legal action could be the only other way and is unlikely not be cheap, unless someone here knows otherwise. 

HB

All the previous threads about probate problems are here for you to read. :)  Maybe someone with a similar experience will come along and comment as well.

I would say it's worth trying the Probate Office anyway - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

HB

Are they allowing the brother access to information? Or blocking him too?

Usually Executors are appointed "jointly and severally" so banks will act on the instructions of any one of the Executors when information is requested (before Probate has been granted).  So I assume that that your brother has instructed the bank not to release any information to your sister, even though he has no power to do any such thing.

Banks do not want to get involved in resolving disputes between Joint Executors so I imagine Halifax have done what would expect any of the banks to do and say they will no longer deal with either executor except when they receive a joint instruction signed by both Executors. Banks are entitled to say that. 

As other posts have said they really have to find a way to sort this lout between them or the whole process of administering your late mother's Estate will grind to a halt.

• Like 1

A further thought.

Is it possible your brother might try to apply for Probate in his name only? eg by falsely claiming your your sister does not want to apply under 'Power Reserved' mentioned in earlier link.  If he succeeds in getting Probate in his name only then banks will deal with him and release the money to him.

If I were your sister I would "enter a caveat" with the Probate office.  It's explained here - https://www.gov.uk/stop-probate-application  Essentially you are putting the Probate office formally on notice of a dispute about who can apply for Probate so they would not accept an application from your brother alone without further investigation.

• Like 1