• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Mother been Paying DCA's through Stepchange £400pcm for +8yrs - still £9k to pay - Best way to make F&F offers?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks dx100uk. We would like to go down the F&F route. We are in a position now where I can lend my parents a sum to let them move on from this.

Should we do the F&F offer separate to the reclaim or in conjunction? i.e. we owe £2,300 minus the £500 unlawful fees = £1,800 30% offer of £540?

Any recommendations on the best way to do this, taking into account the above? Are there any templates you recommend using?

Mum also mentioned she was charged a lot of money going slightly over her Halifax overdraft to pay this (like £30 charge for going £10 over...) - is that something we should also look into claiming back? She mentioned seeing something on MSE about it - is there are a subforum on here with information around that?

as for cap1 there are letters to use in the debt collection section of our library

inc your fees spreadsheets.

i doubt cap1 will bite though.

is the OD still with halifax?

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx. I'm struggling to find the right letter to make a F&F offer on there. Any problems with using the National Debtline one? https://www.nationaldebtline.org/sample-letters/full-and-final-settlement-offer/?

No, the od isn't with Halifax any more. Thankfully my Mum is out of it and has switched bank accounts to First direct. The article she read was: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges/

we used to have one not sure where.

just remember this is no longer on her file and can't comeback so don't let here feel she is indebted to pay them any high sums £pcm should they refuse to F&F.

don't forget there are the other letters there offering a lower £pcm and if they refuse the one to drop them to £1 PCM for life if they rufue to help.. time on all fronts she took control of HER money, not let others control it, she's paid upwards of +£30k to all these fleecers, none deserve any special treatment now massive monthly payment.

the OD is long dead simply stop paying, any charges reclaim will simply be removed from their already fictitious balance not to her pocket.

• Thanks 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Mother been Paying DCA's through Stepchange £400pcm for +8yrs - still £9k to pay - Best way to make F&F offers?

Thank you. What % do you think we should start with for cap1? 20%?

We've also received the CCA for a couple of the MBNA debts that now sit with link financial. Please see attached. The one for my Mum seems very lightweight compared to the one for my Dad... Are these correct? If not, what should we do?

I guess if they are valid this changes the strategy similar to cap1 - pay monthly sum again and try and agree a F&F settlement offer?

MBNA_CCA_Dad (1).pdf MBNA-CCA-Mum.pdf

is the IP address traceable to the area they live in?

as for the signature on the other, i will guess its correct?

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

I've done a reverse IP lookup, and it's traceable to their general post code but not our exact post code e.g. It's M5 rather than M12 but yes, more or less.

Yes signature is correct.

What do you think? Similar strategy to Cap1? Offer a F&F and if not try to move to minimal payments?

Would you give the same initial offer to both (20%) or more to cap1 and less to Link?

i'd run link, never trust them an inch, one of Link favourite tricks was to re add and charge interest. send an sar to MBNA get all the statements, then same game as cap1.

i'm wondering if it might be prudent to simple get a letter constructed now, to send to cap1 and Link, stating due to sever financial hardship, for the next 6mts the payment will be £5PCM. This will be reviewed in 6mts and you will be updated further. Please refrain from adding any interest and/or penalty fees as under the rules of the various organisations like the FCA/FOs that govern you and help me through this hardship period. 

i will not enter into any further communication by whatever method upon this arrangement until my review and will consider it harassment.

• Thanks 1

and they

adapt the pro rata letter in the dca section of our library.?

• Thanks 1

and they

Is it necessary to send with the budget spreadsheet?

My Dad has actually suffered a loss of income from COVID and will be on SSP for the next 3 months due to an operation so will use that as the reasoning.

his income is NOTHING to do with them nor you mums debts.

if you've already sent an I&E with the 1st pro rata, then dont repeat it

• Thanks 1

and they

Some of them are in my Dad's name... sorry, I didn't make that clearer, although I'm not sure if it changes much?

For the debts we have received CCAs for: 1 of the Link debts is in my Dad's name whilst the other Link and the Cap1 are in my mother's name.

I&E was sent via Stepchange 2 months ago. Although it reflects a higher income than now. Would you do it again or just remove the reference of it from the pro rate letter template and send the letters?

just remove all ref to it

send the offer and pay it regardless to if they do or dont reply/accept you do NOT need a debts owners permission to pay what is propsed you are simply informing hey this is what you'll get for xxmts..tough if you dont like it.

you must take control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and they

Thank you dx100uk, thanks for all your help.

I've made a few amends. Does this look ok?

Account No/Reference No: XXXXXXXX

Dear Sir or Madam  

Since making that above agreement with you, my circumstances have changed. I cannot now afford the previously agreed monthly payments because of severe financial hardship caused by a loss of income due to the coronavirus pandemic and a long term recovery from an operation leading to statutory sick pay.

In view of these circumstances, please would you agree to accept a reduced offer of £5.00 per month for the next 6 months.

Please refrain from adding any interest and/or penalty fees as under the rules of the various organisations like the FCA / FOs that govern you and help me through this hardship period. 

Should my circumstances improve I will contact you again. In the meantime, I would appreciate it if you could send me a paying-in book / standing order form to make it easier to pay you.  

Thank you for your assistance, I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully,

Edited by techno20
spacing

stop begging. !!

In view of these circumstances, you will only be getting a reduced payment of £5.00 per month for the next 6 months

(can you not pay by bacs? so delete the payment book bit?)

• Thanks 1

and they

• 3 weeks later...

no cca = no pay = ignore 

• Thanks 1

and they

• 2 weeks later...

We've had a reply to the offer of £5 repayments from Link.. Please see attached. Does it require any action?

Link-Lettter-14-May.pdf

We've also had a response from MBNA on the SAR. They've only sent statements from 2011 onwards for my Mother which is missing 3 years worth of entries. Should we take any further action on this or will they have been deleted?

not returned a CCA have they.

as for MBNA contact them and demand the missing statements.

and they

Link have returned a CCA for 2 accounts, including the account the letter is in regard to. I wrote to them to tell them we'd be paying £5 a month due to financial hardship and the attached was their response to that letter...

For MBNA I will send the following if fine:

21st May 2021

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT /REF NUMBER XXXXX                           

Thank you for your response to my previous subject access request on May 14th. Unfortunately the statements you sent across omit 3 years worth of statements.

Please supply me with copies of all these statements.

If you fail to comply with all of your obligations, I will make an immediate complaint to the Information Commissioner about your statutory breach – and without any further notice to you.

This may also lead to legal action in the County Court and a judgement will then be forwarded to the FCA.

Yours faithfully,

who says the CCA's are enforceable we haven't seen them?

dx

and they

On 22/04/2021 at 18:11, dx100uk said:

stop begging. !!

In view of these circumstances, you will only be getting a reduced payment of £5.00 per month for the next 6 months

sorry there must be more debts with link that you have listed here then..

as you say above they not provided CCa for any of the 3 debts.

for those 2 MBNA debts with CCA returns that i think are ok in 30 stick with and pay as stated what was said in the above letter

dont enter into letter tennis.

ignore any that have failed the CCA

and they