Extended working hours

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When I started my job 15 months ago my contract said hours 8 til 5 but may change due to need of business. Now for the last 6 months I seem to be working 6am until 5.30pm every day. Where do I stand if I bring this up with them

Hi,

are you being paid for the extra hours?

do the extra hours take you below National Minimum Wage?

looks like 50 hours a week ish to me (allowing for breaks) - have you opted out of the working time directive? have you been doing this for 17 weeks or more?

have you asked if you can refuse?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I am salaried, yes I believe I signed out if it when I first started. In my interview I was told occasional overtime but on my first day I noticed it said for the company needs in the contract

Well, you could opt back in, but that's only going to save you a few hours a week. As long as you are not below NMW then they appear to be acting within the terms of the contract. So it is probably more of a conversation about duration and balance.

Are you a member of a union? They are the perfect people to intervene!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!