Posted a parcel by RM using their signed for service and they lost it. Item was worth over £50 so should have used the guaranteed next day service but didn’t.

Although I’ve claimed the max £50, I’m still out of pocket and am wondering what my options are.

The item must be somewhere, and I suspect stolen by RM staff.

The parcel was clearly labelled in x2 places. Thoughts?

What was the declared value of the parcel?

So why did you only claim £50?

But did you actually try to claim £200? Or did you go straight ahead and claim £50?

How did they pay the £50?

I'm sorry, but it would be helpful if you would simply answer the questions briefly.

So I understand that you claim for £50 – that you haven't referred to the fact that the item was value to £200 and that you declared it to them at that £200 value when you organise the delivery.

You received a cheque for the amount you claim – £50 – and you banked it. Was it made clear at all that this was in full settlement?

Also, if you want to have any chance of proceeding with this you will have to think about giving more substantive/detailed replies than staccato abbreviated messages

I submitted a link to the claims process because it answers all the questions in one go.  The process includes asking for the value and submitting proof thereof. And yes, the accompanying letter states they consider their inquiry closed.

Thank you. And you supplied them evidence of a value of £200?

What was the item and what was the evidence that you supplied?

I'm trying to understand your story in order to know whether you have a good chance of claiming the full value of your lost item.

I imagine that's why you came to this forum

5 hours ago, SUEtableResponse said:

A receipt. May I ask where you’re leading?

I think where BankFodder is leading is to a full understanding of what has happened so as to put themself into the best position to answer the question you are asking - ie what are your options?

I think that they may end up suggesting something along the lines that the £50 "limit" in Royal Mail's conditions should be regarded as meaningless if they have negligently lost an item of yours worth perhaps £250, or £2500 or even £5000.

So they are asking questions like "How much did you actually claim?" and "what did you declare as the value of the item?"

Unfortunately, answering their questions with your own questions or simply replying "Over £50" is not very helpful.  (eg Do you mean that you declared the value of the item as "Over £50" or did you declare a specific value that happens to be in excess of £50?)

Good choice of username...