Wizzair Fit-to-fly certificate requirement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 425 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife and 7 year old booked a flight for next Sunday with Wizzair for them to fly from to Romania. At the time of booking there was no requirement of any covid-19 test or PCR fit to travel certificate. Just yesterday the Romanian authorities added the UK to the list of countries that should have a test to go to Romania. 

The trouble is that the test (never mind the fact that PCR tests give false results and the very inventor said they should never be used the way they are now being used) is between £85 and £160 per person. Flight costs were less than £100 for both passengers. Wizzair says that there is NO refunding the costs for flying and changing to another future date is £60 (flights on the future date are £27 per person).

I would like to demand a refund on the basis that the requirements at booking were not the same as they are now.

Any ideas how I can go about this? 

Phoning the airline and trying to use their web site brings no joy to my finances! 

Your thread title suggests Wizzair have introduced a requirement that you must have a PCR test before you board a flight to Romania. But your post suggests it is the Romanian authorities that have made the requirement and Wizzair have to comply.

Can you clarify which it is please.

It's also not clear what the direction of travel is, since you say "from to Romania". Do you mean they are coming from there to the UK and then back?

If you live in the UK It is currently illegal to travel abroad, unless you have a legal reason to.

If you live abroad you are subject to mandatory quarantine upon arriving in England of minimum 5 days after which you need to take a Corona test at your own expense and stay in quarantine until the result is known. This is irrespective of whether you believe in their efficacy or not. If you are travelling from the UK (for a legal reason) and back this mandatory quarantine will also apply to you upon your return.

Based on the above, is it legal for your family to travel, and it is physically possible to fit in the quarantine requirements (eg they're not coming just for 3 days in which case it would be physically impossible to quarantine)?

If the answer is no, then you have a much better angle to approach the refund request from, although it is still far from guaranteed. This will also depend largely on when the tickets were purchased. When was that?

If the only reason you have to invoke is the introduction of a PCR test by the Romanian gov't, this will count as a voluntary cancellation (you are still allowed to travel you just don't want to) and you don't stand a chance imho.

In that case your best bet is to just hope the flight will be cancelled or rescheduled significantly, which would then entitle you to the refund. Is your flight still operating as per the schedule as originally purchased?  Note that Wizzair seem to have a policy of refunding involuntary cancellations in vouchers rather than cash.

• Thanks 1

Even if your reason for travel is legal and absolutely essential (eg visiting a terminally ill relative or attending a family funeral or something similar) then it is almost inevitable given the current Covid situation that foreign travel plans may be disrupted at very short notice.

Wizzair won't refund you because (presumably) their flight is still flying and the fact you won't be travelling is not their responsibility.

Normally you would look to travel insurance but I suppose any Covid-related risks are currently excluded.

I think you have to accept it as a foreseeable risk of all foreign travel at the moment.

Edited by Manxman in exile