Goskippy and auxillis car hire charges

lee19921992
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1106 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

im just posting on behalf of my sister as im unsure what to advise to her, wondering if any one can help.

My sister who's pregnant  had a car accident January, she was driving her corsa and a van pulled out ( he was on her side of the road facing towards her) it was icy and she went to brake but skidded and collided with the van driver which in turn rebounded and hit a stationary car. she was traveling around 30-35 mph. 

her car was written off by goskippy who she is insured with, and AX have provided her with a courtesy car to get to and from work.

AX have informed her that admiral, who are the van drivers insurance are refusing liability, and have called my sister to ask her if she can pay for it to be repaired.

she has said no as she's due to go on maternity and money will be tight, the woman said she will inform her manager and call her back.

she has rang me today, to say AX have called and want her to send in 3 months worth of bank statements to show that she cannot pay for the repair? 

she currently has third party with goskippy.. does this sound right? thanks

On the basis of what you say here, I don't understand why she is being held liable

she said it wasnt her fault from the start,

originally they was going to pay £2,200 but then said admiral are not admitting liability so can she afford to pay the repairs herself which she said no.

they have said if admiral wont budge they will take the courtesy car back off her and leave her without essentially they said its because she only had third party insurance.. 

I'm confused they can just leave her with out anything can they? 

I don't understand your post  so I will try to figure it out as follows.

Your Sister only has Third Party cover with Go Skippy, which does not cover damage to her own car.

Under her Go Skippy policy, they put her in touch with AX who are an accident management and credit hire vehicle provider.

AX only provide the Courtesy (credit hire ) car because they thought the third party driver may be at fault for the accident.   And your Sister did not have a car that was in a roadworthy condition and the car remains unroadworthy because your Sister does not have the savings to pay for the repair.

AX are not providing a courtesy car.  They are providing a fairly expensive hire car on the basis that they hope to recover the cost of this from the third party. 

AX are wanting the Bank statements from your Sister, so when they try to recover the Car hire costs from the third party, they can justify continuing to provide the hire car, on the basis that your Sister cannot pay to repair her own car.

At the moment, the third party Insurer Admiral are disputing liability for the accident, so at this point AX are trying to limit the potential debt liablity for the credit hire car that your Sister will owe them.  If Admiral are never held liable to pay for the repairs to your Sisters car and the Credit hire car, then AX will be trying to recover the Credit hire car cost from your Sister.

Based on your description of the accident, it indicates the third party was at fault, but were they 100% at fault ? 

I think your Sister needs to speak to AX to ask them why Admiral considers their driver is not 100% liable for the accident.  AX are supposed to be providing an accident management service, so what are they doing to help her.  I think she needs to ask AX this question.

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

why don't you or she describe how the accident happened carefully here and maybe with a couple of simple but clear diagrams so that we can understand the situation

of course it would be much simpler if your sister could get involved in this thread and give us the information first-hand.

thank you, apologies if it seems muddled up, I don't really understand it my self tbh.. she called AX and they are trying to contact admiral but haven't received a response from them yet.

she said it wasn't her fault, he shouldn't have pulled out as it was her right of way, he should have waited until she passed. 

she has said to AX today, why arent you fighting my corner,  they said "She said its a difficult one because they're refusing liability and without evidence were stuck." 

what does she do?

she hasn't admitted ever she was at fault to anyone

this is what she has sent me, thanks

145520979_167443335146679_6745638547406811238_n.pdf

I think that a diagram and also a key to who's who would be more helpful

There are several other comments to make. Please check back here tomorrow

I think your Sister needs to check carefully what she agreed to with AX.  They are providing a car on a credit hire basis, but what is the daily rate for this hire ?

I think your Sister needs to consider other options.  Can she do without the hire car ?  Can she hire a car for a cheaper rate elsewhere ? Can she find ways to pay for the repairs ?  Can she borrow a car from friends/family when she needs one ?

Even if your Sister is found 0% liable for the accident, it might take months before Admiral agree to pay anything.  And they might refuse to pay some of the credit hire costs.  Your Sister could find herself owing a large debt for the hire car.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Work out the cost to date.  How many days hire so far ?

What car did your Sister have that was written off ?

Is the hire car similar to your Sisters car ?

These credit hire companies are just trying to make money providing expensive hire cars.

Almost £100 a day for a courtesy car???
Sorry, but somebody has seen her coming and is treating her as an open cash till. Who recommended that?

12 hours ago, lee19921992 said:

thank you, apologies if it seems muddled up, I don't really understand it my self tbh.. she called AX and they are trying to contact admiral but haven't received a response from them yet.

If it seems muddled to you – then how do you think it feels to us when we are receiving this information third hand. I think that you want to get her to come here and to give us the story first hand and also as already suggested, I think that a carefully drawn diagram with a key as to whose who is essential. Having some kind of printed off map with Mr XXX and Mr ZZZ blah blah blah.

On the basis of what we've been told, it appears to us that she was driving along minding our own business and then somebody who was parked on the same side but facing into the traffic pulled out directly in her line and she took avoiding action.

12 hours ago, lee19921992 said:

she has said to AX today, why arent you fighting my corner,  they said "She said its a difficult one because there refusing liability and without evidence were stuck." 

And this is shocking treatment as far as I'm concerned because apparently her own insurer is saying that they are stuck because they don't have evidence and so they are putting their hands up to another insurer/driver who presumably also doesn't have evidence.

I think you are dealing with a lazy insurer that isn't really interested because they only involve the third party insurance – not comprehensive so that they know that they are going to take a particular loss so they're not bothered.
Do we have any idea of what the other side story is? Or has that not been revealed to you?

We can deal with this and we can help you challenge this and probably with a high chance of success – but we need better engagement.

I understand that your sister is pregnant – but pregnancy isn't an illness – and I think that she would feel empowered if she got to grips with this directly.

Certainly, what we need is better engagement and if it has to be you acting on her behalf – then the first thing you need to do is make sure you understand the story because if you don't then what snowflake's chance in hell do we have?

Car value apparently £2200. ( post #3 )

Car hire possibly £3000.

Wonder why the third party Insurers Admiral are refusing liability to pay !

Not sure ths is really about who is at fault for the accident, but is more to do with AX and their expensive courtesy car.

Pretty sure this claim would have been settled by Admiral, had the Sister dealt with this claim not using AX.

Think that a complaint to AX should be made, but possibly after sending them an SAR to request all information including any phone call recording where any courtesy car was discussed.

• Thanks 1

I have to say that I was completely in the dark about this company – AX. It's now been explained to me that they are in fact Auxiliis.  

I suggest that you have a search this forum about this company and what your sister has gotten into.
Try this link to begin with https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/search/?q=auxillis&quick=1 you will turn up some interesting stuff as well.

It seems to me that there are big questions over a recommendation to somebody who is maybe just had an accident and rather vulnerable and which persuades them to rent a car at daily hundred pounds a day

You definitely need to get back to us – and if possible your sister as well – to see what we can do.

I appreciate this is too late for the OP's sister, but for others who might read this thread (and the OP's sister going forward), can I just say it is a false economy to have third party only insurance?

The difference in premiums between fully comprehensive and third party only cover is fairly negligible for most reputable insurers these days and, in many cases, fully comprehensive can work out cheaper.

Credit car hire companies are despicable and the practice ought to be outlawed.  If the OP was referred to AX by her insurer, she ought to be complaining to them as I doubt they were acting in her best interests - as opposed to their own...   Arguably a clear conflict of interest and breach of fiduciary duty - but that's only my view unfortunately.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BankFodder said:

And this is shocking treatment as far as I'm concerned because apparently her own insurer is saying that they are stuck because they don't have evidence and so they are putting their hands up to another insurer/driver who presumably also doesn't have evidence.

To be fair to Go Skippy (not that I really want to be fair) if there is no independent evidence or dashcam footage then it all boils down to "he said/she said" and neither insurance company has anywhere to go except 50/50.  And this is another reason that third party only cover is a really bad idea.

I suspect as unclebulgaria has pointed out that the main issue might be the cost of the credit hire car.  Only £2k write-off value on the sister's car, but rising to over £5k with car hire.

If Go Skippy referred her to AX, then they have in effect quite possibly nobbled her chances of getting anything from Admiral.  Another reason to complain about Go Skippy.

Well frankly I think the evidence is there – and I expect that I could argue in front of a judge that on the balance of probabilities it was the other person's fault – and I would win.

It's going to be beyond doubt that the sister was driving along on her side of the road – and so she had priority.

Secondly, it is going to be remarkable if the van says in fact that he wasn't facing into the traffic and in fact that he was facing in the direction of the moving traffic.

So on the basis that there is going to be no dispute over the fact that he was facing oncoming traffic when he was parked and that he pulled out in order to leave his parking space – it is absolutely clear that because he was "on the wrong side of the road" he didn't have a line of sight to the oncoming traffic. When he pulled out facing the oncoming traffic, it was his passenger-side which came into view first and in order to acquire a line of sight he had to pull out even further in order for him – as a driver – to see any approaching traffic. By this time of course he would have been pulling into the line of oncoming traffic effectively blind and would have to have pulled his van out quite substantially thus placing any oncoming traffic in danger because of what was effectively a reckless manoeuvre by the van driver.

Of course, we don't know what time of the day this occurred. It's very unfortunate that the OP seems not to be interested in make any further contributions to this thread even though there is great interest in it and a great deal of discussion. The OP should engage with this thread in order to avoid wasting everybody's time here – and of course  not doing the best for his sister.

However, if the accident happened during the hours of darkness – and it was in January, so late morning and early evening – then we would also have to consider the legality of parking on the wrong side of the road at night.

But even without that, it's clear that somebody who parks on the wrong side of the road – with driver-side next to the kerb – and so who is obliged to pull out blind into oncoming traffic, is placing everyone at risk.

I don't see any great problem in persuading a judge that on the balance of probabilities, the sister was blameless and that the van driver was at fault.

I'm afraid once again we are dealing with either a lazy – or imaginative or both – insurance company.

Of course the referral of this woman to an incredibly expensive rental service is also disgraceful, opportunistic – and in my view, unfair. I would also be looking at ICOBS.

Please check back for a full reply tomorrow.

However, it would help if you would introduce paragrapg spaces into your story.

it's very long and especially for people with small screens it's very difficult to follow when it is so compacted.

I think this straight has become rather confused because of the third party account which we received at the outset.

I think it will probably be helpful if you could repost your story but on a new thread and more openly spaced please.

Then we can start to have a closer look at it.

However, as I've already suggested, I think there are two issues. The question of your liability in the accident and the problem of how you have been persuaded to take a rental car at such a high rate.

I would suggest that you hold off telephoning anyone until we have had a closer look.before you do anything on the telephone.

You have obviously had some very important conversations but you don't have any evidence of them. Although the other side may say that they have recorded them, you you may find it difficult to get hold of those recordings if in fact those recordings incriminate them in any way. for instance if they have promised you that you don't have to pay anything for the hire car, that would be an extremely useful conversation to have but you may find that it is difficult to get hold of.

please start a new thread it will be much easier to continue from there

I am going to try and explain in full details from start to present and see if you have any advice for me on what i can do.

on 15/1/2021 16:25pm i was traveling along hazlebarrow Road which is on my estate at around 30mph, its a tight road with cars parked along the left hand side, as i proceeded through, a van ( which was parked on my left hand side, facing towards me) pulled out from the side of the road, he stopped the van which resulted in the van being at an angle stationary position on the road.

I braked immediately but the ice and snow skidded my tyres, i skidded into the drivers side of his van, my car bounced off his van and sent my vehicle head first into the back of a parked car ( which was originally parked at the back of the van before he set off from the side of the road.

I will refer to the van driver as MR S. ( im going to attach a street view picture and diagram which will be more helpful in understanding how the accident accured ect) . 

The owner of the parked car, which i will refer to as Mr T came out of his house. Myself, mr S and mr T exchanged details and took photos, then i left the scene as my first concern, understandably was to contact my midwife and the hospital. I live just round the corner from the scene of the accident so i slowly drove my car to my property.

I contacted Go skippy the next day 16/1/21 and informed them of the accident and gave them all the details ect.

by the following monday 18/1/21 i had a call from AX who said they was dealing with my claim as go skippy will not deal with it as i am third party insured. Over the next few days, i complied with their requests ( gave them a written statement of what happened, sent them pictures of the damage to my vehicle and MR S van ect).

Then on the 19/1/21 AX contacted me again and asked if i need a curtesy vehicle, my first response was ' how much will that cost me?' Of which she replied ' nothing because your insurance covers the cost'. I agreed to the curtesy vehicle and the vehicle was delivered to me on the 20/1/21. 

Over the coming weeks, AX and i had regular contact about my claim and updated me in regards to my own vehicle. At one point she said it could be deemed a 50/50 liability.

An engineer had collected my car, deemed in a total loss as the damage was more than 66% of its total value and written my car off . i had a call from a lady from AX and she said they have valued the car and i will be payed out £2200 . i asked when and she said ' we will send you a cheque out for £358 in the post, and the remaining balance will be payed out by Admiral but this may take a few weeks more' . 

I didnt hear nothing for around 2 weeks so i contacted AX again for an update, she told me that admiral are refusing liability and there now in dispute. Every time i contacted them they said the same thing ' admiral are refusing liability'.

i asked them why admiral consider them not liable and she read from the notes ' MR S said he was driving along the road, the corsa ( my vehicle) was at high speed coming towards me , i beeped my horn and tried moving out of the way but i couldn't because of the ice and the snow and the corsa hit my van' ( complete lie!!)

The lady at AX said the problem is that the damage to both our vehicles is consistant with both our stories and due to there being no witnesses, no cctv or dash cam footage- no one can prove who is at fault.

I then questioned why i had been told i was being paid out £2200 and she said 'well we have to advice you the estimated value' of which i replied 'no, there was no 'advice' - i was told it was a done deal i was getting paid £2200 and she told me i had a cheque arriving in the post!!!. 

The lady then told me she had requested a ' none prejudice payment' from admiral and waiting for a response.

Shortly after this phone call, AX contacted me again and asked if i had the funds to repair my own vehicle or buy another one, ( im assuming admiral refused to pay the  none prejudice payment).

I told them No i do not as i have a baby due and even if i did have the funds, why on earth would i fork out to repair my own vehicle when i wasn't at fault ?! . she said ok im going to pass this to management and see what we can do .

I contacted AX again and asked for an update and expressed how unhappy i was with their service as i felt like they hadn't fought my corner, bowed down to admiral and then had the cheek to ask me to repair my own vehicle . Again she said ' its still in dispute, admiral are not budging i have to pass this on to management.

She then asked me for 3 months bank statements to 'prove' i dont have the funds to repair my vehicle myself. I thought this was ridiculous and stated that even if i had the funds, why would i repair my own vehicle when im.not at fault!?

Obviously this has been on going since middle of January, pretty fed up. My brother come to this forum last night to seek advice And had a couple of replies that i may be liable to pay for the hire car costs.

I contacted AX first thing this morning regarding this. I made it clear that they can collect the vehicle to stop the daily charges as i do not want to be in thousands of pounds worth of debt when i am a lone parent with a new born baby.

the lady told me ' we will try every avenue to recover the cost from Admiral for the hire car charges, if this means taking them to court, even if this is unsuccessful, considering you comply with your hire vehicle contract and you work with us with your claim ( which you have been doing) you will not be liable for this debt and if worst comes to worst and admiral will not pay, we will just wipe the debt off' .

i made her repeat several times that i will not be liable for this debt and she said i have told you my name, and these calls are recorded and i am telling you that this debt will not be on you to pay .

She then said that if i was to give AX the hire car back now, then it would jeopardise everything. And she said ' we gave you that hire vehicle because we believe you're not at fault so you can keep using it as we know you need transport'

I then questioned the need for bank statements again and she told me the reason they need bank statements is so if it goes to court - AX can justify why i needed the hire car for so long ( because i dont have the funds to repair my vehicle or buy another one) and also so they can prove they have tried every root possible. 

After the phonecall it got me thinking about how she said ' as long as you comply with your hire car contract your not liable for any charges for the hire car' .

Will they find any fault with the contract just to try and lumber me with the debt?

As it seems pretty fishy how they would just ' wipe off' thousands of pounds if admiral refuse to pay. 

And also, she said if i gave the hire car back it would jeopardise the case . so when the lady rang me the other week asking if i had funds to repair or buy myself a new vehicle , if i had said yes, ill buy a car tomorrow and come collect the curtesy one. Then what? Wouldn't that ' jeopardise' the case? 

As you can imagine, my heads spinning. Stressed and don't know what to do. I don't even care about a pay out , i just want to give the hire car back and be completely done with AX . but now im scared if i give the car back i will be lumbered with thousand of pounds worth of debt from the hire car charges. 

What can/should i do? 

Thank you
Gemma

pix.pdf

• Thanks 1

Just to clarify:

• did Go Skippy tell you they were passing this on to AX?

• Have AX shown you or linked you to any terms and conditions concerning the provision of the "courtesy" car?  When you said you would have a courtesy car, they didn't tell you that you might have to payfor it - in fact they told you your insurance would cover it?

• Have you signed anything with AX concerning the hire car?

Thanks for your reply .

The only contact i have had with Goskippy is when i first reported the accident. They took the details of the accident then said ' thanks for letting us know'. They have never contacted me afterwards. I did however contact goskippy a few weeks ago as i felt AX were messing me about. And go skippy told me its nothing to do with them as AX is dealing with it.

Secondly, yes that's right. When they first contacted me asking if i want a hire car, obviously my first question was ' how much is that going to cost me?' Her exact words were, nothing because your insurance covers it. ( the reason why i agreed to the hire car) . Now, their words are ' we are pushing for admiral to pay for the hire car but if we are unsuccessful then we will wipe the cost off and you will not be liable , considering you stick to your hire car agreement and you work with us on your claim' .

I had to sign documents before they delivered the hire car but she explained over the phone the documents were just for me to sign that i would agree to be liable for any damage i did to the car, had to give the car back with a full tank of fuel, i would agree to pay for it valeting if i left the inside a mess ect) obviously i did not mind agreeing to these conditions as of course its my responsibility if i damaged the car or leave the inside a mess ( which i wouldn't anyway) . stupidly i believed what she said and did not read through all the documents before signing them 

• dx100uk changed the title to Goskippy and auxillis car hire charges

if you type in auxillis is our search top right in the red banner you'll see this con over auxillis and supposed courtesy cars , but it's not its an HP agreement is well known here.

9/10 it's ends up with you fronting a court claim out of your own pocket for auxillis against the other parties insurance company that you don't stand a chance of ever winning for a claim against them for the excessive HP hire car costs you got scammed with.

may i be frank that whomever told you looking at the circumstances of you incident that you'd ever win a claim and it not be 50/50 was wrong.

you were in a narrow road in a housing estate with cars parked down one side on a blind sweeping bend exceeding the speed you should have been doing for the stated weather conditions. running into someone's side that pulls out infront of you in such an area and it being where you live too so you know it well would never be the other parties sole fault even without the poor weather.

if this were to go to court IMHO you would lose.

sadly shows you were not p'haps driving with due care and attention. hence your ins companies stance.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...