Hackers scammed my son's Paypal account?

jazztheman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son was recently scammed through clicking on an email link supposedly from Paypal which then give access to the scammers to his Paypal account.  The scammers ordered £280 of goods from an online retailer and were delivered to an address many miles away. My son reported the problem to Paypal who were not concerned and refused to offer a refund.

He then reported the problem to his bank, who cancelled the credit card and initially refunded the £280 to his account. Today, he received a letter from his bank which stated that this refund had now been cancelled and his account would now debited for this amount.

Any advice please?  

How old is your son?

Did the bank explain why they had reversed the refund?

My son is in his 30's and he is very gullible.

The letter from his bank states

" that they have contacted the retailer's bank and they believe the transaction to be yours. If you do not recognise this payment contact the retailer as they will be able to provide you with a more detailed information.

Should you be able to provide further evidence to support that the transaction was neither made nor authorised by you, please contact us."

The bank also provided the delivery address and the name of the retailer.

How do you provide further evidence to support a transaction that was not authorised by you when the account was hacked through scammers?

have you written evidence it was hacked?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you/your son "know" the purchase was made by someone who hacked his Paypal account, presumably you have some evidence that makes you believe that?

Whatever you have that makes you believe that, supply it to the bank.

(Do you know this all stems from the fake Paypal email, or are you only assuming that was the cause?  If he's still got the email pass it onto the bank).

The bank have already provided information on the name of the person and the address of where the goods were sent to. However, the bank is asking for further evidence.

My son is not 100% that the fake paypal email triggered this scam off, which again is probably impossible to prove.

23 minutes ago, jazztheman said:

The bank have already provided information on the name of the person and the address of where the goods were sent to.

I'm very surprised the bank would do that as it's a clear breach of data protection laws - or at least I would have thought so.

Edited by Manxman in exile

does he still have the email?

i will gather he clicked on a link within this email, then had to enter some details, as that's the only way this scam works?

if you look ay the paypal account activity page it should have proof of what they did.

did they change passwords etc?

how did he reclaim control of the account when he contacted paypal?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...