• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

StepChange DMP +10yrs - Help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I would really appreciate any help in this. I want to stop paying this and am wondering if I need to offer F&F or if I am good just stop paying. A few details first:

1.DMP with StepChange started circa 2010

2.Have been paying every month since

3.Want to stop paying/clear as want a new mortgage in the next 9 months or so

4. None are currently showing on my credit file

And the finer detail:

image.png.d777f2503664ed5d5a1b95cc47838479.png

* = these were on my credit file until recently. I complained stating that they should have been defaulted as it was unfair. They have stopped reporting now - but werent able to add a retrospective default date.

I havent made any enquiries about CCA's etc. I want to just stop paying but also cant have any of them appearing on my credit file as need another mortgage etc. I understand most will likely not have a CCA but there is one overdraft related entry so not sure what to do about that one. Also I think they could CCJ but can they start reporting again - I know the ones with a default date cant but can the others?

Hopefully thats enough info. Would really appreciate your excellent guidance

Many thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pers i'd just stop paying the whole plan.

you've been had from day one on all of them.

as long as stepchange has your correct and current address.

just sit back and await the deforestation that comes thru your door.

i'm of the opinion now that for DMP's of this historic age now its far batter to simply stop paying the whole plan and IGNORE everyone, rather than sending CCA's requests etc etc, until or unless someone sends a letter of claim relating to any of the debts that wrre in the plan.

then comeback here and we'll deal with it as we do.

the most important thing to ensure is that the DMP provider does have you correct and current address (p'haps do this in a letter to them stating you ae now cancelling the plan and stopping their mass DD).

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry forgot to mention. When filling out the financial situation to get the stepchange payment low I was very economical with the the truth. I dont want this to be an issue as I am worried about that.

Thanks very much dx

Not sure if your saw my comment re the budgeting as think we may have crossed.

Can they start reporting on my credit file again? I really cant have that happen. Is this a risk.

The conundrum is - if I settle them now for say 30% of the debt thats around 5k. If I end up having to pay them thru court action then just a few could be that much. I suppose thats a gamble.

when they do a letter of claim, I am guessing we then ask for a CCA. If they can provide it do I have the opportunity to pay if necessary before getting a CCJ or it reported again on my credit file?

once a debt has had a default notice issued thus resulting in a defaulted date being registered, it reaching it's 6th birthday and thus removing the whole account, it can never comeback.

ok yes, if you fail to keep your debt owners updated with any subsequent moves, which you must for say 7yrs to be sure (which does not reset anything)  if if if a CCJ were ever to be attained and registered - that CCJ would show but not the debt itself return.

as long as a debt owner always has your correct address then a letter of claim if ever issued can easily be dealt with, but much better to comeback here in case wisdom on dealing with those changes down the line.

as for settling debts via an F&F to a dca that owns any debt - , totally pointless, in many cases it doesn't make it go away, they just await till 6yrs has almost expired then try for the rest or sell it on and they try for it, plus you giving the DCA free money to fund harassing everyone else they try and mug..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

Thanks very much dx

Can the ones that have not default date be reported again? I complained and they have stopped reporting. If I stop paying can they start reporting again?

Is the I&A completed as part of the DMP legally binding? what if this isnt accurate could this be a legal issue at that point it goes to court?

a dca cannot issue a default notice only the OC can.

as for any statement you made 1 month or 10years ago of course its not legally binding

you lied

they lied

to line their pockets and the pockets of their mates the DCA's as they get backhanders from them too.

get out from the muggers that feed the muggers that have ruined your life for 10years.

just think what you could have done with 10yrs of £xxx payment to stepchange and where you'd be now had you not got scammed  by the debt system.

and they

This stuff really makes me angry, the likes of Step Change masquerade as help, but in reality are locking you in to perpetual debt, that you would be far better off simply ignoring.

Stuff 'em and stop paying, it's long gone off your credit file and invisible to any mortgage lenders.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks both,

The only thing I am still not clear on is there were 4 DCA's that were reporting on my credit report and as I complained they have stopped BUT there is no default date on these debts. Can they start reporting these debts again on my credit report if I stop paying.

When I tried to re-mortgage a few years ago I was refused as these 4 were showing as in a DMP. Ofc they are not now as I told them it should have defaulted BUT they werent actually able to add the default date - so in theory could this happen again.

Thanks so much for your help

deal with it IF it ever happens...

and they

Trouble is I cant do that though - I absolutely have to be able to get a mortgage at the end of this year and if theres a DMP or "arrange to pay" on it then I cant.

Understand the ones past the default + 6 years cant start reporting but I assume by your answers that the ones that dont have a default date can. This effectively means I will need to carry on paying those 4. I am thinking stop the DMP - make a personal arrangement with the 4 that arent defaulted. At least it will have more than halved the payment - unless there is a way of guaranteeing that they wont re-appear.

but they didn't remove them 'because' you agreed to pay or continue to pay + i bet they are over 6yrs old anyway and thats why they were removed.

5 hours ago, players4you said:

* = these were on my credit file until recently. I complained stating that they should have been defaulted as it was unfair. They have stopped reporting now - but werent able to add a retrospective default date.

who were 'they' you complained too..

and they

It was the DCA's who I complained to. They were the ones reporting the debt. They have stopped now but theres no default date. They are more than 6 years old yes, but I don't think that on its own is a reason for it not to reported?

If I had a legal reason why they couldnt start reporting the debts again I would gladly stop paying them - but at this point for these 4 I dont. The others that have defaulted + 6 years are no problem

did they reply, and did the reporting immediately stop or it took a while?

it doesn't sit right that differing DCA's just because of a letter each stopped updating debts they each owned that had no registered default registered, that were all subject to the same DMP that reduced payments to them all started at the same time. 

and they

There were 4 debts that were being reported and were affecting my credit file. The other 6 are all defaulted and long since dropped off.

I complained to these 4 stating that these debts should have been defaulted years ago and should therefore be off my file. They upheld my complaint but said they couldnt add a retrospective default date but that they would stop reporting to my credit file as it was unfair as they should have been defaulted years ago.

I have continued to pay each of the creditors on the DMP for the duration at the same amount.

then they can't comeback IMHO if you stop paying.

you should have stopped paying there and then, but i suppose stepchance again poked their nose in and said either you cant just stop some debts through the plan, keep lining ours and their pockets.?

they are correct they cant register defaults themselves only the OC can.

and they

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I could go to the OC and get them to add the defaults but that might be a long process.

I have only just started entertaining the idea of not paying as my main priority was getting a clear credit report as needed to move home urgently due to personal reasons. Now I am sorted on the credit file front its a case of seeing if I can stop paying this turkeys without going backwards.

once your debts were defaulted , paying or not or paid or not

the defaults are there for 6yrs.

you've been had blind..

11 minutes ago, players4you said:

I have only just started entertaining the idea of not paying as my main priority was getting a clear credit report 

which toward going to stepchange was the biggest mistake you made.

and they

Although I still think you will be ok on the mortgage front, it always helps to find a good Broker who can guide you around these sorts of things. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Oh yes, as long as I dont have a DMP and the credit file is as it is now (which is virtually as good as can be) I will have no probs with the mortgage. I am very fortunate.

I am actually thinking of getting the OC to add the default for those not already added. In the meantime I am going to stop the DMP. Arrange to pay the 4 that havent defaulted to preserve the credit file and then once a default is added stop paying them. Then I can await any action.

One question that wasnt answered was - if a court claim is filed and we put them to proof and they can provide proof, can I pay them without getting a CCJ or is that it?

Edited by players4you

3 of the 4 sold debts you are worrying about are credit cards by the look of your list in post i

the OC's would have issued a notice of default and a Default Notice and or Notice of Sums in Arrears upon their sale or before that date, just because it didn't actually get registered we normally find IF IF IF the fleecing DCA's raise a claim these appear or don't and thus the lack of them is fatal and they lose the court claim.  

your main issue is if you cease payment now they can magically re-appear on your file...they can't.

and they

if a DCA as the claimant was to take you to court and the claim was properly defended by you the defendant , the claim would fail under the consumer credit act section 87 should the claimant fail to provide proof a compliant default notice was ever issued by the original creditor 

sorry but you are seriously over thinking everything here .....a dca has no more legal powers than you or i ... and are totally powerless.....

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to StepChange DMP +10yrs - Help please
  • 4 weeks later...

I have cancelled the DMP, stopped paying all but 4 and am still considering those.

House sale has now gone through and I am talking to a mortgage broker who says the best he can do is 4.8%. I assume this is due to the DMP. Is that it now, cos I signed up for this then I will never get a competitive mortgage again?

DMP is nothing to do with it.

and they