Sky won't remove me from mailing list!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I need some advice regarding a problem I am having with Sky.

In July I moved house, and took the opportunity to cancel my subscription with Sky as the initial 12 month contract period had just expired (they tried to charge me for cancelling my last direct debit too - what a bloomin cheek!:mad: ).

Im my last letter to them, I asked them to remove my name and address from their mailing list as I no longer lived at that address, and in today's climate of identity fraud this would help prevent any problems in the future. They clearly took no notice of this and continued to send mail addressed to me, to my old address, inviting me back to the service (my mail has been redirected but expires soon).

I decided to phone them on the 9th november to reiterate this to them, and John in their Dunfermline office assured me that this would be done straight away. Since then, I have had 3 letters from sky, advertising new products etc. and don't know what else I can do. Is there anything I could quote or threaten them with in a letter, to scare them into taking me off their database? I would try and call them again but it takes so long to speak to someone i'd be quicker to write to them!

Cheers

LinniLoo

can take 28 days to remove u from the list, bear that in mind

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

Yes, find a copy of the Data Protection Act (Is it 1998 now?Or still 1984? Someone can advise). It states that a company has to have your express consent to handle/process your data. You could also try the 'up-to-date, relevant and accurate' angle of the Act, as they are obviously not up-to-date in sending mail to your old address. Every company that processes data has a person called a Data Controller - write to Sky's c/o their Head Office (if anyone has a direct address, that would help OP) quoting this.

It can take 28 days to remove you from mailshots via the Telephone/Mail Preference Service/s - I would say that when contacting a company directly, they should do it within seven days, maximum fourteen.

Hope that's of some help.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

• Haha 1

-----

Yes, find a copy of the Data Protection Act (Is it 1998 now?Or still 1984? Someone can advise). It states that a company has to have your express consent to handle/process your data.

I don't believe the Data Protection Act says a company has to have your consent.

Tim

Actually...

In July I moved house...Im my last letter to them, I asked them to remove my name and address from their mailing list as I no longer lived at that address

Data Protection Act 1998

PART II

RIGHTS OF DATA SUBJECTS AND OTHERS

10. - (1) Subject to subsection (2), an individual is entitled at any time by notice in writing to a data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin, processing, or processing for a specified purpose or in a specified manner, any personal data in respect of which he is the data subject, on the ground that, for specified reasons-

(a) the processing of those data or their processing for that purpose or in that manner is causing or is likely to cause substantial damage or substantial distress to him or to another, and

(b) that damage or distress is or would be unwarranted.

11. - (1) An individual is entitled at any time by notice in writing to a data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin, processing for the purposes of direct marketing personal data in respect of which he is the data subject.

(2) If the court is satisfied, on the application of any person who has given a notice under subsection (1), that the data controller has failed to comply with the notice, the court may order him to take such steps for complying with the notice as the court thinks fit.

(3) In this section "direct marketing" means the communication (by whatever means) of any advertising or marketing material which is directed to particular individuals.

SCHEDULE 1

THE DATA PROTECTION PRINCIPLES

PART I

THE PRINCIPLES

5. Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.

6. Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this Act.

The OP has terminated her contract with Sky and moved. The data is therefore no longer accurate. Not only that, she has expressly refused permission for her data to be processed.

LinniLoo, I'd begin firing off letters if I were you.

-----

• 2 weeks later...