• Tweets

• Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
    • This is simply a scam site.  It's been shown to be a scam in the national press and on national TV. Please fill in the the forum sticky and upload the invoice you've received. In fact what you have is an invoice, not a fine, a private company doesn't have the power to issue fines.  
    • Moved to the Private Parking forum.
    • Good afternoon, I am writing because I am very frustrated. I received a parking fine from MET Parking Services Ltd , ( Southgate park Stansted CM24 1PY) . We stopped for a quick meal in Mcdonalds and were there fir around 30 mins. We always do this after flights and never received a parking fine before.  Reason: The vehicle left in Southgate car park without payment made for parking and the occupants southgate premises. they took some pictures of us leaving the car. i did not try and appeal it yet as I came across many forums that this is a scam and I should leave it. But I keep getting threatening letters.  Incident happened : 23/10/2023 I did contact Mcdonalds and they said this:  Joylyn (McDonald’s Customer Services) 5 Apr 2024, 12:05 BST Dear Laura, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services. I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our Stansted restaurant.   We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.   We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.   Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.   If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.   Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.   Can someone please help me out and suggest what I should do next?  Thank you 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Packlink agreed payout and then changed their mind - Hermes forced to settle - **SETTLED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks.

Nothing new. You should get a directions questionnaire fairly soon. Let us know.

Now that you seen the standard defence, make sure that you have read sufficient of the Hermes stories on the sub- forum to understand what your position is in respect of each point they make.

• 1 month later...

After no action for a while I have seen it being updated today to say a general sanctions order has been submitted.  

From research I am guessing that they have not submitted the DQ back but will be given additional time to do this.

• Thanks 1

It's a disgrace that they are given this latitude. They are a huge well resourced company that routinely exploits the small claim system not for justice but simply to intimidate their customers and to try and whittle down the number of claims against them.

It really is an abuse of process and it's a shame that the deadlines – certainly as they are intended to apply to business litigants, are not enforced robustly

• Thanks 1

I know every step of the way they have filed things on the last day possible.  They don’t even attempt to resolve the issue when you contact them before going down the small claims process probably aware a lot of people would give up at that point.

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure you rehearse all the points that you are going to make.

I suggest that you use a Microsoft Word document with a two column table.

In column number one make a brief note of the point they are making – and in column number two, put your argument in response. – All very briefly so you can simply refer to it during the mediation telephone call.

Read the mediation stories on the sub- forum. There are some excellent summaries and in fact when your mediation is over, we'd appreciate if you could put up summary of your mediation journey as well – so take notes.

You may well come under the pressure from the mediator to give some ground. Don't forget you are completely in the right and there is no reason for you to give any ground. However, you can tell the mediator that the advantage to Hermes are settling now is first of all they will be able to carry on bullying people into thinking that they must see pack link and that they don't have the advantage of the 1999 Act. You can also tell the mediator that if Hermes want to go to court, you are perfectly happy to do so and you will also ask the judge to consider the fairness or otherwise of their requirement that their customers insure themselves against Hermes own negligence or the criminality of their employees.

You can tell the mediator that you will tell the judge that you were forced to take out this insurance cover because of fear but you still consider that it is unfair and you will ask the judge to consider that. Point out to the mediator that under the Consumer Rights Act the judge will have a duty to examine the fairness of the term and the Hermes should be warned, that if the judge finds that the insurance requirement is unfair, this will cause very substantial difficulties for them in the future because you will make sure that the judgement is plastered all over social media.

Tell the mediator to tell Hermes that if they want to go down that route – you are absolutely delighted because it's no skin off your nose and 255 quid is not a big deal for you anyway. Ask the mediator to point out to Hermes that it's only 255 quid to you – but it would be a huge amount of money to them. Do they really want to do this?

In any event, it's extraordinary that you were promised compensation and then they reneged on it. It shows that there even more untrustworthy than anybody thought. Tell the mediator that you will be pointing this out to the judge as well and that the judge won't be very pleased.

You want everything you are entitled to – every last penny including all of your court costs and you will give no ground.

• Thanks 1

By the way, Hermes may come back and say that the decision to pay you out was a decision of Packlink and not them. Tell the mediator once again that this makes no odds. It was still a contract for you to end your complaint in return for the payout and Hermes are equally bound by this under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  I’ve been reading the posts from here in preparation.

i will do exactly as you advise and draft notes including the fact they’ve deliberately delayed the process with missing deadlines to get information back to court.  This has lessened my willingness to compromise 

I wouldn't give any hint that you were ever interested in compromising.
I don't think there's any value in pointing out their delays.

I think you should simply stick to the substantive issues

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have had my mediation today and have settled for £267.50 which is the full amount of £255 for the claim and half the costs of the mediation.

The mediation itself was much quicker and more simple than i thought.  The lady called and gave the basics around what the mediation was about and then asked about the case.

She then asked for a very brief outline of what happened.  She then advised she would call Hermes and call back.  At this point she had not asked me to say if i would settle for a lesser amount just purely what had happened.

When she called back 5 minutes later she advised Hermes had looked at the case and denied that they were responsible and it would be packlink that i would need to get in touch with also that when looking at the claim they had seen that packlink had advised there was insufficent packaging and that is why i did not get the full amount however as a goodwill gesture they would pay £255 to avoid going to court. 

I disagreed and said that i should not have to pay the court fees but (i don't know why) said i would split the costs.  I think i was more happy that after 6 months i was getting it settled.

She went back to Hermes and phoned me 5 minutes later to say they disagreed again and that it was my choice to go to court but in order to reach a settlement agreement they would be willing to settle for £267.50.

Thanks for the update.

Not a bad result so well done.

Hermes deceiving everybody again about your right to sue them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act. Did you tell that to the mediator?

Hermes are fundamentally dishonest in respect of this third-party rights issue.

• Like 1

• BankFodder changed the title to Packlink agreed payout and then changed their mind - Hermes forced to settle - **SETTLED**

The mediator was very good and did not put any pressure on to settle and stuck to the facts but looking back Hermes mediation tactics were to deny everything making it sound like you didn't have a case then offer the amount minus the £25 so my focus went on the amount rather than counter arguing the facts of the case.  If that makes sense.

i didn't like principal that i was going to be paying the costs of bringing it to court by myself as they suggested that it was my choice to do so when every attempt to speak to Hermes about this previously was met with silence or links to packlink.

Also if they were that sure i didn't have a case why were they so willing to offer almost the full amount from the off but i wasn't going to argue over £12.50.

• Like 2