Erudio demanding repayment

Hi, apologies if I’m repeating similar cases. I have read some of these threads but finding myself more and more confused. 

Erudio have recently been demanding payment of the sum of £8500, sending threatening letters, calls from CapQuest and a home-call card from ResolveCall. I have young children at home and do not want strangers knocking at the door. 

I queried by email the information that was held against my account and they responded:-

We note your comments and confirm that Erudio have owned your account since March 2014. Your last deferment ended on 14/11/2014, and as no new deferment was in place, and no payments were met, due to the level of arrears your account exited the terms and conditions on 19/07/2016, subsequently terminating. 

Your account has been outsourced to our 3rd party Capquest Debt Recovery to be managed on our behalf, and would ask you to contact them direct to discuss your account further”.

I didn’t understand this Erudio takeover and have moved house several times since 2014.  I understood my loans from my undergraduate degree (1996-2000) to have been deferred in line with my other loans. At the time, I would likely have sent them the deferment paperwork and not taken any other action unless contacted. I did not heard further from them until a termination letter demanding full payment around 2016/2017.

Since 2014 I have been working part-time and earning well below the threshold.

As they stated in their email above that no payment has been received since 2014, I sent them the SB letter.

They then sent me an ‘annual statement’ stating that £300 had been paid on 1 Jul 2019 and that the loans were therefore not SB.

I told them this payment was erroneous (I would noticed such an outgoing!), and they then re-stated that the payments were instead made in 2017 not 2019 by a third party- StepChange.

I had briefly had a repayment debt plan through StepChange around 2016/2017 and had added Erudio believing it to be a consumer debt.

I am querying what payments, if any, were made from StepChange at the time, but from my records believe it to have been a £1 token monthly payment. 

I have again emailed Erudio and told them to provide me with a copy of the original credit agreement and an accurate balance sheet evidencing what payments have been made on the account. 

Please could you advise what I should do next.

I would be really grateful.

I am hoping to apply for a mortgage in the near future and do not want a CCJ or any adverse credit issues. 

Thank you 

quite frankly they don't know what they are talking about an hope you'll be scammed as 10'000 have into paying them, a DCA , free money on a debt you don't owe.

its telling, as always, that arrows, or whatever trading name they want to use from their group, always pull these same stunts on just about everyone that comes here, and cleverly word or don't indicate, the true nature of what they are telling you, making it appear you owe money by twisting things.

the date of SENDING your last deferment to slc will dictate the starting of the 6yrs SB clock, not the END of the 1yrs period, and if you ever did pay anything within that period seems to me to be debatable. 1st 2019 opps poss is sb'd, ah no, it was 2017...see we are right...:rant:

send SLC an SAR get your last confirmed 

get in contact with stepchange or SAR them and findout the payment dates to erudio if any by them.

its also telling they farm it out to another no powers DCA to scare you by threatening a doorstepper...

well as you probably read by now

a DCA is NOT a bailiff

and have

ZERO powers on ANY debt no matter what it's type

if they were SOOOO certain its not SB cause either a payment was made or their crap default/termination some +5yrs after resets it (it doesn't)

WHY did they not go for a backdoor CCJ against your old address as they do with 10000's of people...guaranteed win.

so to me something smells here why they bothered to contact you at your current address before doing the above...urm...

LIARS!!

shame you gave them your email address...they have a freeway to harass you now...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have you checked your credit file to see what's on there? IF anything.

The good old ''phantom payment'' trick.......jeeez, that is soooo last century.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thank you so much for the advice.

I will SAR SLC and StepChange to figure out what payments, if any were made in 2017 as Erudio claim. I found a Stepchange ‘action plan’ listing Erudio as being offered £1 token payments so perhaps those were made, but very unlikely to be £300 as Erudio have suggested. 
If any payments were made in 2017, even a small amount, does this mean SB does not apply? In which case, how can I defer these loans or stop any claims?

There is nothing reported on my credit from them. As you say, they could have obtained a CCJ much earlier and sent papers to an old address. Would they be suddenly chasing me now because the first loan is 1996 and the 25 years are up? Or does this not matter anyway because they’ve binned the T&Cs? 

I guess from what you suggest, I need to obtain the date my last deferment was sent to SLC to work out the SB timeframe. 

ruddy stepchange again blindly paying something that wasn't even owed as you were not earning over the threshold .

TBH those payments could be ignored.

i will suspect your last deferment was 2013 as with most people.

the 25yrs runs from the last SLC Loans in the 'chain' but that pretty immaterial if you ignore the Stepchange payments made in error.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi again, 

I spoke directly to both SLC and StepChange. 

From my SLC correspondence it seems that the last deferment was sent to them Sep 2013. 

Stepchange have confirmed that a token payment was made monthly to Erudio 4th Nov- 5th Oct 2017 as part of a token payment plan- the total amount paid for this period was £14.38. This contradicts Erudio’s claim that £300 was paid in July 2019 and their second ‘phantom payment’ assertion that it was paid on October 2017. StepChange are emailing me the schedule of payments made at this time. 

Should I challenge them with the fact that these token payments were made in error or ignore? Thanks 

*4th Nov 2016- 5th Oct 2017

no let it run

just don't ignore a letter of claim should one come.

have you informed Erudio in WRITING not email of your correct and current address since deferment time if you have moved?

i'e have they legally got your correct address?

and they

ok then you need to protect against a backdoor CCJ.

send erudio a simple letter by royal mail.

make note at the top of their mass ref number and LIST all the SLC loan numbers that encompasses.

please note my correct and current address as above 

all correspondence should be sent there and in writing only.

and they