Landlord Constantly Late with Utility Bills

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Been a while and hoped you could help me out..

I'm currently renting from a landlord, private let, and in a building.

One of the stipulations is that the electric is not from a supplier but from the building management, and should be paid to the landlord/lady.

which went fine until the whole covid thing happened.

I didnt hear from her at all as apparently the management company of the building went bankrupt and passed the account on to another business.

6 Months later, I get a myriad of electric bills in and am expected to pay them within 2 weeks?

Can this happen or should i ask the landlady for some grace time?

I'm a little nervous about this as we've had a great relationship until now.

Hope to hear back

• dx100uk changed the title to Electric supply tied in with rent contract. cant get cheaper?

if you should have been paying her

what does it matter if the company changes?

you still have to pay regardless..

why have you not been doing so?

ok you didn't know the actually exact value?

but...

so for how long have you not paid..and what have you done with the money you've been putting aside since then to pay this bill?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Electric tied with rent Management co went bust..now another demanding all back usage.

@dx, indeed but the lst 2 bills, first was after 2 months, I paid that in full, the latter was a while later, so apid that and 3 months in advance.

Anything regular which I could budge by woule be great but I'd attempted to speak to them and 've "upset them as out summunication was billiant until now", so basically if I STFU, perfect...

I've asked for either monthly or quartlerly billing to even things out, but as they said, "I dnot knwo when I get them, I'll jsut forward them to you".... So as its in the contract that I pay them electic, have I got any say abou thow they manage the frequency?

I tried to mitigate against their weirdess with the alst payment by making an advance (3 or so months) payment, and yet again the payments are all over the show?

I dont want to rock the boat, but I had everthing planned out until I get anotehr oddly dated invoice, with no coherent frequqncy.

Any avice? 

• 3 weeks later...

Its fine, it just so happened that they're happy wit h me paying it off at a realistic level. I think that he landlady went little too far, but things have been smoothed over.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I currently rent a flat in a building from my landlord. The electricity supply is done via a wholesale connection into the building, the tenants are individually (and privately, not through the utility company) metered. When I moved in, I was told that I would have access to the meter to note the usage, but this never materialised as it turned out that despite what's on paper, there is no fob access to the electricity  meters. They're under lock and key and only accessibly by the concierge. I have bugged them constantly for monthly readings, but these are always late, so its futile keeping track of my usage.

On top of that, the landlord forrages up the bills and fires 6 months at me at a time, rather than passing them to me a month at a time. The utility bills are in her name as the property owner and according to building management, there is no way I can get an account of my own.

The last bill I had, also ca. 6 months worth, was rife with errors, increases in unit price and standing charges plus there's a capacity charge now, which turns out is a penalty the building is charged for over utilising the connection, they order the cheapest connection and overuse it, passing penalties on. There are no clauses in the contract about usage caps etc...

I've queried these bills a few times now, but the landlord is now refusing to deal with them and has told me to contact the management company myself to manage her account? Can she do this? I don't really want to be handling someone elses account, let alone paying off bills that belong to someone else. What I do, when I get the bills, I pay the landlady directly (as I can afford it), but now that she's made herself unemployed, she's getting extremely demanding and constantly on my case despite reminding her of the disputes as well as the fact that I can't pay of 6 months of electric off in one go.

The last time this happened (February), I have a clear email from her stating that the bills will be presented monthly, which until today (May), there hasn't been another, and she's blamig the management company.

How do I handle this because:

1) I dont agree with paying for these capacity charges as I'm not a business customer and I'm not going over any caps as none were agreed.

2) I dont agree with paying the landladies account off directly, I pay her myself, but she's getting annoyed at me as this means she now has to pay them.

3) It's out of OfGems hands as she nor the management company are registered utility suppliers. Which is odd as the management company professes that they use a professional utility company who work in line with OfGem's guidelines etc... When reading meters, assigning charges and presenting bills.

4) THe harassment I've had is terrible. She's taken to trying to contact me on social media, which I wound up blocking her on. THen she tried whats app, too which I blocked her on, then she started calling me facetime and imessaging me, which too I've blocked her on. She never uses the phone or just sends an email. When she does send an email, she expects a reply (one that suits her) within a week, or I start getting threats of ending the tenancy.

How do I manage this woman in regards to these electric bills?

Cheers,

Ade

I forgot to add, she threatens to have me cut off through the management agency if the bills aren't paid within a week of being presented. There's nothing in the contract about that either.

i though landlords splitting a gas/elec utility supply and fitting their own meters and charging what they like re: rates was outlawed years ago?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The bills she sends me are addressed to her from the so called management company, though I have no idea who they are, what they do etc... But she refuses to address the disputes in the bills. So I'm stuck there. Now she's getting stroppy about it as I wont manage her account for her, I told her to ensure that her paperwork is correct before she sends it to me and all bills should be address to myself.

Here is where I'm at now :( 

The resale of Gas and Electricity is covered by this

http://tiny.cc/pmwxtz

http://tiny.cc/tmwxtz

1st Link takes you to Ofgem website and downloads a pdf file to your device.

Landlords can't profit in the resale of gas and electricity .

Edited by 45002
url as ever
  • Thanks 1

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

AdriHD

Having had time to read your thread again.

I'm not sure if I understand what Ofgem saying, but if LL is Re selling Gas and Electric via separate meters/invoices to the tenants and over charging, the tenants "not Ofgem "can sue LL in the county court for excess amount plus costs.

Threatening/ cutting off your utilities is harassment you can sue for damages and apply for court order to have supply reconnected, if cut off.

Constantly contacting you is again harassment and can again sue for damages or get an injunction against LL to stop them.

You should contact  CAB, Shelter or a Solicitor for further advice, 1st thing Monday morning.

One final point, have you ever considered finding somewhere else to live where there are utilities meters you can have in your name and get proper bills, so on...

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

• 1 month later...

No what I said was it was out of OfGem's hands as there's no suppliers etc.. at play, but I think I was wrong about that though. I dont know enough about the energy industry and the in's and out's of reselling electric. I didn't even know there were resale guidelines until all this started happening!

it's all gone south from there and I've had my notice, so I'm putting this issue to bed for now. If need be, I'll address this at a latter date as right now, tenancy / roof over the head coms first!

sHi

Before I start I want to clarify something for you between the Landlord and this so called Management Company.

The Landlord has employed the services of this so called Management Company to Act on there behalf in dealing with all matters to do with Renting there Property out.

Note the Landlord has employed the services so this so called Management Company but everything to do with Renting that Property is at the instruction of the Landlord, therefore the Buck stops with the Landlord not the Management Company as the Landlord is fully responsible for the actions of the Management Company.

I am shocked on reading your Topic that you still are unaware of who the Management Company are for you Property. (have you asked your neighbours who this Management Company are and for an address?)

If above is correct you then put in writing to your Landlord that you require clarification from them as to who the Management Company are and there Full Address so you can deal with this matter with them. (ensure to get free proof of posting from the Post Office and keep a good paper trail)

Once you know who the Management Company are send them a Subject Access Request (SAR) they then have 30 Calender Days to respond and that only starts on the Management Company  has acknowleged reciept of your SAR Request and they don't ask for further I.D. which can extent this time limit. (note you will not get the meter reading sent to the Landlord as that is the Landlords personal data you will only get what the Management Company has sent you)

Also complain to the Management Company that you were informed that you would have access to these Meters to be able to take Monthly Meter Reading and to date your have been deprived of this as the Meters are unaccessable by the individual Tenants to do this and you require full Clarification as to why you are being denied this right to ensure the Meter Readings are corrrect against the Energy Invoice being sent to Tenants by the Landlord. 

Ofgem link: 

WWW.OFGEM.GOV.UK

The maximum resale price (MRP) is the most that anyone can charge for resupplying gas or electricity which has already been bought from an...

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

What it is, she has a short hold deed on this flat and they manage the building, and have whatever agreements with the owners.

the residents here are extremely private and we like to keep it that way so I’m not going to ask others what’s going on or I’ll look like a tool in this peaceful community.

at some point the management company went bust and a new one appointed but she didn’t know who was who.

her administration is abhorrent at the very least and her command of the English language is equally as bad so I’m not shocked really.

the management company and I have zero to do with each other, they are HER supplier. Just as a bank owns a house which is on buy to let, they own (manage on behalf of the building owners) the building.

sending a sar to them would be like sending a sar to the owner of a houses bank. Hence why I’m so frustrated at her palming things off to me because of her inability to handle it herself.

either that or her reluctance to pay a letting agent to manage this for her.

it’s too late now, I’ve had a s21 so fighting that. This is on the back burner until that is resolved. Once it’s resolved or I’m resettled, I’ll address this.