EON Debt ...L C S claim addressed to The Occupier.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On behalf of E on Electric I have a letter giving dates from LCS debt collectors.

For the first three weeks these were my default electricity suppliers. 

I changed via U Switch to EDF.

The letter is addressed to The Occupier. 

They said their investigation led them to believe that I had connection to the supply covering a three week period outlined by them. 

Without breaching the data protection act I don't see how they could get my legal name anyway.

You cant sue "The Occupier."

I didn't ask for the supply and signed no deal with them personally. 

What legal teeth do I have?

• dx100uk changed the title to EON Debt ...L C S claim addressed to The Occupier.

they haven't got your 'legal name', (i hope thats not a ref to freemen of the land twaddle)

they don't know who is at the property as EON's former customer left on xxx date

all they know is 'someone' must be using electric because their client EON has told them so.

so its addressed to 'the occupier' hoping to scam you.

any DCA like LCS are not bailiffs

and have

ZERO legal powers on any debt no matter what it's type.

the best legal teeth you have is ignorance!!

i like your style...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Eon can find out who is registered at the moment for energy supplies at the address, as there is a central energy industry register. But LCS don't have access and Eon won't provide the details to LCS.

At some stage Eon will deal with this themselves, if they want to recover the amount.  They can check when the previous occupiers stopped being responsible for energy use at the address and when you registered. Of course it won't prove you were using energy at the address if there was a gap in between previous owners stopping their account and you registering supply.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Well they got the accusation dates spot on and maybe because The H Association, who were responsible for the electric and gas to that point informed them. The start date to my switch has been given to them by someone, perhaps without mentioning any names. More legal teeth?  How can anyone get my name without breaching data protection act?  Credit reference Bureaus or voting list perhaps?

as i said...they don't need your name.

they have simply sent a letter on behalf of their client to the occupier, that they believe whomever is at the address now owes their client some money. nothing to do with data protection   Credit reference Bureaus or voting lists

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

Dear New Tenant

L C S

!st Floor West Wing

Town Center House

The MerrionCentre

Woodhouse Lane

Leeds

LS2 8LY

02/03/2021

Our Case Ref xxxx

Re Our Client E.On

Outstanding balance: £37.xx

FINAL NOTICE

We have been instructed to act on behalf of the above named client to recover the sum of the outstanding of £37.xx for dual fuel consumed at X Whatever Road, Sometown , Anyplace. Despite our previous communications and offer of help we have not received payment or valid reason for non payment for the outstanding balance.

Until you have cleared the outstanding balance, your details may continue to be shared with a credit reference agency.  Other lenders may see information about the way you pay our client and the amount you owe them which could affect your ability to obtain future credit.

In order to prevent any further action and potential inconvenience, we would urge you to pay the full sum immediately or alternatively contact our office on 03445439130 quoting Ref xxxx to discuss your options. Alternatively please email us at [email protected] quoting your reference.

Yours sincerely

Rebecca Carter

For and on behalf of LCS

I suspect this is the kind of letter they send when they know they are stuffed?

They are not going to continue chasing for £37, so will stop at some point soon.  Will go back to Eon, who will just make a note of the debt on their records.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

should be sent to the landlord then.

and they

6 hours ago, overdone2 said:

We have been instructed to act on behalf of the above named client to recover the sum of the outstanding of £37.xx for dual fuel consumed at X Whatever Road, Sometown , Anyplace. Despite our previous communications and offer of help we have not received payment or valid reason for non payment for the outstanding balance.

Did you use electricity/gas in the 3 weeks before you switched to EDF? Who is supposed to pay for that ?

Edited by Ethel Street
  • Like 1

then 'technically' you owe it.

and they

Some people don't see why they should pay in these situations as it was not their choice of energy suppliers.

However, this forgets the legislation which makes the energy user the liable party in these situations. This goes back to the late 1980's when energy supply was privatised and companies wanted certainty about who was responsible for paying for usage.

The fact is that they (EON) were the energy supplier at the time you took residence...by default as you state...inherited...you used the fuel and didn't switch to your new supplier EDF until some three weeks later.

So you owe £37 for the first 3 weeks of your tenancy.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

pay eon not the fleecing dca!!

dx

and they

Before I decide upon my next course of action would someone be kind enough to confirm the following points of law?

1) That I have a presumption of innocence.

2) That on balance of probability, the burden of proof lies upon the prosecution.

3) That it is the case that I have the right to remain silent.

4)  They can show no intent to form a legal relationship with myself.

You seem to be confusing criminal prosecution with civil claims. You aren't being prosecuted, people can't be prosecuted for debt. There's no such thing as 'presumption of innocence' or 'right to remain silent' in civil claims. No-one stops you remaining silent in a civil claim but there wouldn't be much point. It would just mean that by not entering a defence you'd be more likely to lose the case.

It is true that in a civil  case the claim is decided by the civil standard of proof, balance of probabilities.

I've no idea what 4) means. 

Edited by Ethel Street

"Before I decide upon my next course of action would someone be kind enough to confirm the following points of law?

1) That I have a presumption of innocence.

2) That on balance of probability, the burden of proof lies upon the prosecution.

3) That it is the case that I have the right to remain silent."

Yes - those three points are correct - if you are being prosecuted for a criminal offence - but you aren't, are you?

"4)  They can show no intent to form a legal relationship with myself"

That does sound like Freemen on the Land tosh...

EDIT: Cross posted with Ethel Street

Edited by Manxman in exile

urm as i suspected in post 2 ....

and they

• "In its simplest form, intention to create legal relations means that the parties must intend to enter into a legally binding arrangement in which the rights and obligations of the agreement are enforceable.
  • Often quoted by judge Rinder.
  •  
  • Also there is a potential for a criminal charge as obtaining goods and services without the intention of paying, does come under criminal law. They would have to prove this was the case though. They have no proof as yet.
  •  
  • Could this thread continue without ad hominen implications and in a professional manner please.

@overdone2

Please read the legislation linked to below.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/6/paragraph/3

Legislation which makes the occupier liable for energy usage.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, overdone2 said:
  • "In its simplest form, intention to create legal relations means that the parties must intend to enter into a legally binding arrangement in which the rights and obligations of the agreement are enforceable.
  • Often quoted by judge Rinder.

Rinder's comment is of course legally correct and is one of the first things law students learn but is of no relevance in your case because:

(1) as Unclebulgaria has posted, the supply of electricity to a new occupier is deemed to be contract between you and the electricity supplier under the Electricity Act without the the usual legal requirements of a contract having been met. The contract starts from when you first start using the supply. (I assume the same is true for gas supply as well). 

(2) 'Intention to create legal relations' is only relevant to Judge Rinder's TV series because his programmes mainly feature disputes between friends and family.  The second thing contract law students learn is that agreements between family and friends are assumed not to be legally binding unless there's evidence otherwise. But agreements with commercial organisations are assumed always to be legally binding contracts unless there's evidence to show that wasn't intended. No court is likely to believe that the occupier of a premises thought EON intended that you could use the electricty/gas without paying for it.

Have I missed something, you have admitted using the energy - despite whether or not it was your choice of supplier.  Why not simply pay what you owe and then you can forget about it. 

!! 

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D