• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lloyds chasing Personal Guarantee.

MOSS 41
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI, 

another one ive been keeping at bay since last march 2020

lloyds are demanding a payment under a guarantee - for a loan and an overdraft

1) overdraft of 5000 was in existence before guarantee etc, so as i see it guarantees cant be given in past consideration - i will fight them to the end on this 

2) loan was at same time of guarantee doc, its presented as a short form guarantee, the word 'deed' is only used near a signatory line in tiny writing- you do not know its a deed unless you see that tiny writing 

ive complained over the year, its not a deed doesnt satisfy points of a deed, and received date is faded out completely 

asked many times for proof when it was 'delivered'

now they finally come back after many months, saying we recognise as a deed, because of that tiny writing

it doesnt need to be delivered date of signature is enough 

where do i go from here 

i can definitely argue about past consideration , cant guarantee something already in existence - or are overdrafts different.

• AndyOrch changed the title to Lloyds chasing Personal Guarantee.

Topic moved to Lloyds Bank  forum.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

You are quite right about past consideration – but on the other hand, are they able to point to something new which they did in return for this guarantee. For instance, can they say that they were about to call in the loan but the provision by you of the guarantee change their mind.

I suggest that you send them an SAR.

Also, maybe you can give us a better idea of what the story is all about. You are pretty scant on detail

we folded a business last march, so obviously over the last year ive dealt with the fallout.

ive been tooing and froing with lloyds for a year

overdraft on liquidation 5k

loan on liquidation balance 14k

honestly dont remember giving guarantee, but this was when the manager had stole all our money and i was running around like a headless chicken.

i could have sworn, we didt (i tend to remember when i do it)

they eventually provided poor copy of 'short form guarantee' 

its dated well after overdraft- so im definitely going to argue past consideration no consideration, if i can 

was going to use the usual defences for guarantee to loan-

however they are saying its a deed- its not called a deed or any words used to that affect at all, just 

signed as deed above signature line, they cant tell me when it was sent back or delivered

i really dont see it as a deed, or didnt realise it was

i need to come up with a reason why its not legally valid or organise a payment plan, as i dint know how much longer i can keep them at bay.

my husband for sure can use para 49 of the etridge principles to set aside his signature as unenforceable,

but i dont know what my options are

its a tiny thing - 3 pages long thing 

Is it witnessed?

I'm not sure that the deed needs consideration to make it binding.

yes - i got an employee to sign both boxes and took it home for my husband to sign later , as he was working away

my problem is i had no intention to sign a 'deed' 

its called a short form guarantee , it refers to itself as guarantee and agreement though out, literally only deed word 

is 'signed as a deed' in writing 2mm high above signature line

my only pick up on its construction is the 'bank' is defined as such:

'Bank'  'inlcudes any person or entity to whom all or any of the rights of the bank under this guarantee are transferred.'

shouldnt is say 'bank'

-lloyds pox box xx company no xxxx etc , 

its almost too broad, saying we guarantee payment to any person or entity to whom all or any of the rights of the 'bank under' this guarantee are transferred.

who has the rights of the 'bank under the guarantee

who are we supposed to be guaranteeing ? no narrative is given anywhere you are guaranteeing 

lloyds bank 

this definition has got me stumped

Firstly, the witness signature is meant to witness the signature of the guarantor.

You are saying that the witness signature was put in place before the guarantor signed. Of course this would invalidate the document as a deed – but on the other hand, you presented the guarantee as properly executed.
So if you use this argument, I think that they would be right to suggest that you had executed a fraudulent deed.

Although the word "deed" was apparently very small, I think you would be hard pressed.

Because it is a deed, I don't think there is a need for consideration to support it.

I'm sorry to say that I think you may be clutching at straws

• 1 year later...

hi 

as way of update- after speaking to solicitor way back when

it was highlighted that banks have to follow certain procedures to take director guarantees of they are not enforceable

it is documented at lloyds a whole separate process

i asked for evidence this separate process was undertaken- 

which it wasn't seemingly - well they ignore my requests for this evidence

i tried to SAR them - nothing for two years said i not entitiled 

they also wont or cant provide the loan contract on which the guarantee was suppose to support- a guarantee can apparently only co exist- no contract for the company to repay - no requirement for an alleged guarantor

so nothing for ages- finally today get a response to SAR- still no contract for the business loan and nothing but copies of letters they have sent me over three years

many times says legal action starting- but nothing ever goes forward as dont provide docs i ask for 

loan contract 

legal advice certification and 

evidence of required guarantor procedures by the bank etc

but digging through this SAR response i was intrigued by one copy letter

its dated june 2021

from lloyds to a DWF solicitors , instructing on them on a fixed fee to obtain possession of the above security for the loan (our home address) and let us know when its done

1)its not a secured debt at all - just an unsecured business loan-

2)never ever heard from these people supposedly instructed

over two years depsite repeated PAPLOC's and threats, they still dont seem to take this forward or have i ever heard from a team of solicitors

stuck in limbo

when was this original loan supposedly taken out?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

with further analysis of my massive SAR,

i've received the formal demands to the business made in march 2020 for overdraft and fixed loan

i was wondering if someone could give me some insight on the following

a)these are default notices even though not titled as so? 

b)a default notice is required to call upon an alleged guarantor?

c)if there is no loan agreement they have confirmed as lost, then using the act of default as non/missed payments would be hard to prove as no dates, terms, obligations to repay evidenced as no contract to read

d)a default notice would have to be submitted in a court case, to prove an act of default? if so why has lloyds marked all these formal demands as without prejudice, meaning they would be inadmissable

any  ideas, thanks if anyone can help

a) have to see them

b) yes to the guarantor

c) no cca = no pay. 

d) proof one was sent.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thankyou

i don't believe director guarantees are covered by CCA? are they ?

this is a business contract they have page one and pages 6-10 of an agreement which is just page 1 ) £20k to business name fixed loan to account number xxx, then pages 2-5 lost which holds all details terms , length , payments condition precedent etc

pages 6-10 are generic small print terms and conditions 

actual loan contract pages 2-5 they admit is missing and paid me £100 for the inconvenience !

i suppose they do have enough to prove loan exists and was paid

without terms of repayment it seems legally it would  just be seen as an on demand loan, with 6 yr statutory limits starting from drawdown

they also wont provide a statement of account as says it belongs to ltd company and separate legal entity i have no rights too!

how would they prove default notice sent if they are unable to produce the notice as without prejudice and inadmissible ?

(it was received by post FYI)

With that in mind, here are some examples of when “without prejudice” should not be used:

• Notice letters or letters of demand where one party is asserting certain rights, such as if you are giving a Notice of Dispute or Notice of Intention to Claim for Delay under a standard form construction contract;

if it doesn't say consumer credit act then so be it.

pers i'd let this run until/unless they ever issue a letter of claim.

and they

i dont know - the SAR shows lots of narrative of wanting a possession order on our house and recent narrative to resubmit to solicitors

they discuss in file notes valuing our house on zoopla estimate for hundreds of thousands (300k) more than its worth valued at my Natwest Bank - saying good for money- go straight for possession order.

and being devils advocate 

if they can prove a signed guarantee, which is an all monies guarantee and prove a debt was owed -albeit with limited documentation- it would be a battle i think i need to prepare for 

however the SAR has been fruitful

they (lloyds ) have to follow a separate underwriting and approvals process to take a directors guarantee, before offering a loan they have not done this - 

they simply stapled it behind loan contract at the time without any explanation of proposed transactions,

which they apparently have a fiduciary duty to explain (SAR again shows nothing done)- 

they have confirmed they never contacted my husband, the second signatory, and nothing to do with business-as a non operational director (apparently they didn't feel they needed to -their written words)

But he would be released under Etridge Principles 49 and 87-8 of the Etridge principles

they did not obtain certified legal advice which under the principles means they cannot stop his release from liability.

i could never stand or pass underwriting (if they had done it) to be a sole guarantor and had no intention to be one, i dont earn any money really- its my husbands 

• 3 weeks later...

I have left this a while ,

so they can respond to my current complaint - non provision of documents ,

no. Provision of communications etc ,

separate underwriting not done 

but also

I did offer after pointing out all the issues £3000 in full and final (in formal letter)  as this is taking time and money (over two years already for both parties ) 

And given them 30

days to accept or go ADR instead 

so as far as I am concerned -

I await response in writing to both 

complaint and offer 

now for the first time in two years they are constantly trying to ring me -

I ignore -

as I want a response in writing- why would they all of a sudden start ringing- ? I’ve nothing to say to them 

• 4 weeks later...

Lloyds still won’t respond to my complaints or provide documents - so I have started the financial ombudsman complaint as suggested by my solicitor as they are not being forthcoming or acting fair 

they still haven’t written back to correspondences -

but phone calls which I don’t answer started again today 

why are they ringing instead of responding by mail - I want written answers to my complaint not an informal chat ?