Sky Multi-room subscription cancelled

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5114 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Seeking some reassurance and some ideas. I took out a Sky Digital and Multiroom subscription in July. In September I started to receive letters from Sky claiming I was in breach of my terms and conditions by not having my 2nd Sky box plugged into the telephone, it wasn't because I don't use the 2nd box at the moment (saving for a new TV). So I went and plugged it into the mains (requirement of T&Cs) and plugged it into the telephone line (another requirement). Got another letter in October saying I was still in breach for not having it plugged into the telephone line, thinks bubble appears and I get another ADSL filter and connect it all up. In November I received a letter saying that they had cancelled my promotional offer but I had one last chance if I phoned their customer services people and was talked through the process of connecting it.

I duely did this and during the process we discovered that if the box is not connected to the satelite receiver it will not make its callback. Moved the box downstairs, connected it up, made the callback, chap says all good and your promotional offer is not cancelled. It is not a requirement of the contract to have the box connected to the satelite receiver (I read it through several times to make sure I was not in any breach).

Check my internet banking today and I am rather incensed to see that they've taken an amount commesurate with the promotional offer being cancelled. I called the bank (Lloyds) who seem to think that the Direct Debit Guarantee does not include the requirement for them to refund me if a DD amount is incorrect (I believe it is incorrect because as far as I know my promotional rate has not been cancelled).

I am not in breach of contract, the box was connected to the mains and to the same telephone line as the other box and having the box connected to the receiver is not a condition of the contract. Therefore I believe they have unilaterally ended the promotional element of the contract. Anyone got any ideas about what I should do from here? The annoying thing is that I am now in Singapore till Christmas and the time difference is a bit of a pain!

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

Ring them on the freephone number 0800 051 2595

If they wont resolve the problem tell them you are going to cancel the contract.

they will then pass you thru to the cancellation dept. who will beg you not to and do almost anything to keep you as a customer.

Ive had to do it twice and its worked both times

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

Lloyds, rather unsurprisingly, are not telling you the truth.

The direct debit guarantee applies to all banks and building societies taking part in the direct debit scheme.

It says that:

If there is a change in the amount to be paid or the payment date, the person receiving the payment (the originator) must notify the customer in advance.

If the originator or the bank/building society makes an error, the customer is guaranteed a full and immediate refund of the amount paid.

Customers can cancel a direct debit at any time by writing to their bank or building society.

Point two should apply in your case.

You should contact Lloyds and remind them of their obligations under the Direct Debit Guarantee.

Then you can sort it out with Sky at your leisure.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

After 0830 Uk time you get a different answer from the Lloyds. I phoned them back having spoken to Sky (who acknowledge their mistake and have already begun to credit my account with the difference). This time I spoke to a very helpful lady in the Payments department who said she could arrange an instant refund of the money, I asked why I had been told something different earlier and she explained that the original agent was mistaken but at the time I called that is to be expected - 24/7 banking only applies to checking your balance apparently.

Since Sky are already refunding the money and, being abroad in areas of dubious phone and internet coverage over the next 3 weeks(not Singapore incidentally where the Hotel broadband and Skype are an excellent way of calling home), a recall of the direct debit will inevitably involve more hassle than the £0.0001 interest I will loose on £30 over 2 days, I've decided not to be principled

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.