• Tweets

• Hi, Everyone was so helpful with my last issue I am hoping for a bit more advice.   About three years ago I had a regular window cleaner company but they starting playing around. Firstly by randomly turning up to do the windows earlier than expected then one time they opted to come round and climb over my fence to do the back windows whilst I was out.  Then the fun started as they claimed to have cleaned the windows on two separate occasions but it was apparent they hadn't (the birds mess on the kitchen window was the clue) and they tried to bill me for the clean.   After two occasions of not cleaning the windows I stopped the direct debit system they used (go cardless) as I refused to pay for something they hadn't done. Queue the various demands for payment which I ignored. They sent letters in the post asking for £60 and a year ago said if I didn't pay they'd send me to the debt collection agency.    Today, I get a letter from elite debt collection in Sunderland asking for £72 for the window cleaning company as they are now acting for them with the popular if I don't pay in 7 days it's off to court threat.   Firstly,  as there was no signed agreement in place with the window cleaner firm can the debt collector add a fee to the alleged debt? Secondly, can they just rush off to money claim and take me to small claims without a letter before action?   I'm quite happy to defend if they did as they didn't clean my windows no matter what random invoice they may have on their systems.   Thank you  
    • bummer!   can't see any movement there then. its nice to see though that he correctly clarified the differing reasons for the 6 and 3yrs limits.
    • Hi Mop,   I only ran through the SAR looking for any personal data you left showing.   Get a pen and paper, go through the narratives and note down the date and anything relevant to what led to the debt or CCJ.   If there's little or nothing to do with the debt or CCJ, that in itself is important.   Do your best and come back with results.
    • Hi dx,   Unfortunately the FOS have refused to look at my case as they have said i have brought the case to late......   Please see attached.  Complainant.Decision.pdf
    • any joy on getting PDL's reduced or wiped?
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

DCBL and unpaid parking charge

Hi all, 

So long story short,

I have just received a notice of debt recovery in the post from dcbl.

I opened it because it was addressed to Mr. so and so (my surname but for both first and last name) for an unpaid parking charge that was given back in 2017.

I looked up the number plate and the car was actually my mothers car, same initials but different addresses. 

I think they may have chanced sending it to my address as this is the first time I have received any letter of the sort. 

Should I call them and tell them this isn't the right address or just ignore it. 

Thanks. 

no you tell your mum you have it.

this is a typical game by them to send things to a wrong address

then they'll go for a backdoor CCJ.

i will gather at some point in time she did park there

and broke one of rules of the imaginary contract she signed upto by driving in there.

she doesn't need to pay it.

but certainly needs to inform the parking company in WRITTING of her correct address.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Brilliant. I have told her I have received it as I was not impressed. I'll get her to write to them too. 

Thank you so much for your advice. 

get her to come here so she doesn't get scammed

and w'll guide her how to deal with it should it progress.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks, I will show her this site when I see her next. Shes not very internet savvy. She probably won't pay it anyway but that's nothing to do with me :) 

poss not 

but once that is done.

she might get a letter of claim

which need to be dealt with the proper way

and not ignored.

but i'll state again..that doesnt mean it needs paying.

and they

That's fine.

Just to add to my site team colleague's comment above, you say that it's her ticket and nothing to do with you – but if she is the kind of person who is not Internet savvy et cetera then maybe if it goes as far as a letter of claim or even a claim, she may get quite frightened.

Be warned that she will get lots of intimidating letters from DCBL and they may even refer to their infamous TV program 'Can't Pay, We''ll Take It Away' but be advised that in this form they are not acting as baliffs but as powerless Debt Collectors.

Follow the advice given here and your Mum won't pay these shisters a penny.

Edited by Homer67
typo