Wish me luck !! Im going to give it a go !!!

radross
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

First post !!!

Im so glad Ive found this website. I stumbled upon it this morning and after most of the day debating if I should try to reclaim the bank charges from HSBC I am going to give it a try.

For most of the day I have been reading lots of posts from other members so I thought Id log on to my internet banking and make a note of how much I have been charged in the last 6 years.

I could not believe the total !!!

£1500 !!!

Not including interest etc !

Im only 24 and most of the charges were given to me between the age of 18-21 and I now relise how badly these have effected my current debt etc which I am trying to get out of.

This makes me angry and I am really going to give this a try.

Thanks to everyone, any tips or help welcomed.

Im also going to pledge my 5% for a donation to this site if all is successful, the site in my opinon is pure inspiration !!!!

Wish me luck !:)

welcom radross, i'm sure you will enjoy the experience. we are all helping each other, i find it rather life affirming if that's not too gushy.

you've got your thread, now you need to read or re-read the really important bits - the faqs and the step by step instructions. if they seem a bit daunting after the first read - read them again - and maybe again. then, when you are sure you've got a handle on it, just plunge in, and if you've any questions, we are here to help - but it is a self help site thus we ask you to read the faqs thoroughly so you know what you are up against. saying that - the end result is, to say the least, very satisfying.

if you are certain you have all the infor for the last six years from the web site - you can skip step three and proceed from there.

Sticky: Newcomer? Here's A User Guide

rdm2006

i did the whole thing for my son who was age 18 when he started getting charges -

when you are looking at your statements - mark everything with a DR next to it and then check them against the list of things you can claim for in step 4.

take a deep breathe - give it a go and if you have questions, look for the answers on site and if you can't find it - ask away - that's what we are doing here.

i got my son 2200 back and you will get yours too. don't rush, take your time and do it right.

Thanks for the reply, just been reading over the steps from the link you posted.

I have now confused myself with the interest part of the claim.

Im going to try and keep it as simple as possible therefore not claim for the interest occured from the charges as I dont seem to be able to work this out.

So which spreadsheet do I use from the Chambers ?

Regards

Just complete the Simple Excel. It will automatically calculate the interest for you but dont add the interest into your letters before you file the MCOL. Just keep posting we will help you all we can. There are a crowd of us now waiting for our money before Xmas. Unlikley you will get yours before them but you sure will have a Happy New Year if you keep flogging away at it.

HSBC 1st preliminary letter £3692 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

HSBC 1st Preliminary Letter £3280 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

Halifax Visa SADR 11.10.06

CITI SADR 12.10.06

HSBC Gold card SADR 23.10.06

you and everyone else, - this is by far the one most confusing point. overdraft interest is money they charge you when you go over your overdraft and it is recoverable as are the charges that made you go over your overdraft in the first place - may i invite you to take a look at my post on this - i'll cut and paste it here for you - really and truly - it is conquerable. try to read through and then try this:

ok, take it from the top. you have all your statements for the last six years, right. go through them and mark all the charges: Charges description on statements - Please Read this is the list of charges you can claim for. now, next to those charges there is often an debit for "interest". so, as you are marking all the charges, mark all the interest items as well. look at everything with a DR next to it, if it is on the list in the link, mark it, and all the interest with DR next to them.

then, go to:6. Interest calculation spreadsheets go on England, Advanced - Works (or excel) to get the spreadsheet. now, at the bottom, click on Charges & Interest. this will bring up a blue and yellow spreadsheet.

start with the oldest item marked on your statements and start entering them, the date listed on the statement, next column the charge - just call it exactly what the bank called it and next column put in the amount.

when you come to an interest one, move tab to the right hand side and put in the date, the interest, the balance at that point (here i will tell you that if the balance is in the minus numbers, a portion of the interest will go onto the spreadsheet - if you are not in negative balance - nothing of that interest will be added - so you will only see an amount come up if you have a negative balance at that point). as for the agreed o/d amt.

(i don't think this column was in there when i was doing mine - so try leaving it blank - if this messes it up - you will have to ask someone else what to do with it)

proceed through your statements from the oldest to the newest adding on all the charges and interest debits. you will see a total emerging, one on the left side and another on the right side. at the end those are the "you have taken £XXXXX(left side) plus £XXX(right side) which you have charged me in o/d interest.....total £XXXX.

That's about as clear as I can make it - i don't claim to understand it - it just worked for me. This is the information you will need for your prelim. letter and the spreadsheet is your schedule of charges.

more info but not for the prelim. and lba letter:

when you have the spreadsheet done that far, you can click on the 8% button at the bottom and reenter it all again with the date (put a date about 30 days from now - that way, it will be figuring your 8% interest that you can add at the mcol stage at about the same date as you will be filing) it figures the 8% for you based on how many days have elapsed since you incurred the charge. this gives you the 8% interest you will add when you file your mcol.

again, i really never understood what i was doing - just followed the step by step instructions at the top of the site and honestly - the spreadsheet was pretty simple - even for me and i'd never done anything like it before.

good luck with it - you'll soon be ready to send that prelim and you'll be on your way to getting it all back!

give it a go...........

jayne is talking about the interest you add at mcol stage.

i'm saying take a look at claiming the overdraft interest, it isn't as hard as you first think. if you are talking 1500 in charges over 6 years - that is very similar to my son's claim and the o/d interest added about 325 to the original figure - i'd say that's worth an hour figuring it oout? yes?

i must say radross, lateralus explained these stuff to me as well, and i think i bagged it (fingers crossed). just stand your ground, and like what lateralus said, read, read and read until you really feel confident and just go for it.. like they said, if you do things right, nothing should go wrong. goodluck and keep us posted.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]S.A.R. sent 30 October-reply received 10 november[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Prelim letter sent 28 november- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]LBA sent 13 december- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]MCOL filed 30 december- issued 02/01/07[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]loveletter from colin received 02/01/07-saying will get in touch on feb 9[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]acknowledged claim on 4 jan- has until 1 feb to defend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]defence entered 31 jan 2007[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]offer received 1-2-2007... still waiting for the moolah though:cool: ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]and moolah arrives 1-march 2007!!! Praise the Lord!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Sorry guys yes I meant add the overdraft interest in but dont add the 8% until you file MCOL if I have confused you even more I do apologise I will be more lucid when I get my money back honestly!

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

CITI SADR 12.10.06

on the link to the spreadsheets above - keep going down, below the chamber -to these:England - Advanced - Excel or

England - Advanced - Works

these are the blue and yellow ones i worked with,

try it, and the first tab "charges and interest" one you come out with , blue = charges + yellow = interest, added together = equals what you are claiming; and yes, that becomes your schedule of charges we keep talking about , so that goes with you prelim and again with you lba. then doing the second tab - the "8% interest" - tab you reenter all the info, and this time it figures the interest that will be added when you've heard nothing from the prelim and lba and are sorting out your claim for the court (very easy stuff, the claiming). 99% hear nothing until they actually claim - then, they take you seriously and make offers. so, you are at the beginning stages. in vampiress chambers is loads more info- i just thought this way is easier if you can take it in. same info - just presented slightly differently.

Right OK,

Its taken me a week but I now have all the charges on the spreadsheet and I think Im ready to go.

I have not been able to work out the interest, purely as I just dont have the time at present to sit through anymore statements.

Anyway, without the interest its totals £2153.50 !!!

Before I send just want to check its 100% correct.

Send the amended prelim letter with a copy of the spreadsheet to:

Mr David Lewis, Head of Customer Relations,

Level 36,

8 canada Square, London, E14 5HQ

Is this correct ? Oh yes, by recorded delivery ?

?

Thanks in advance.

Yes,I will check the Royal Mail site later to get confirmation it was delivered.

When shall I send the next letter, I know its 14 days but due to xmas and new year do you think I should give them a few more days ??

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Hope you have all had a good xmas and happy new year.

I have a problem !

I posted the letter to HSBC on 14th of December by 1st class post Recorded Delivery. Problem is when I type the reference code into the RM website it gives me this message :

"Recorded Signed For™ items are only tracked after the item has been delivered. Depending on whether the item was sent first or second class, this may be a few days after posting. Please try again later.

Information on your item is not yet available online"

I rung them and they said it may well have been lost !

What shall I do ? Can I ring them for confirmation they have the letter ? I really need to send them the next 14 day letter but dont want to do this if they have not recieved the first letter !

Ross

you have the posting proof, i'd just keep to your original schedule. lba next, right? go ahead and send it, with the breakdown as if they had received it and just not responded - which is what happened. they very seldom take any notice until you file your claim - so as long as you have a copy of the letter for your files and especially with the proof of posting - don't worry about it. just proceed.

Update !

Opened my post this morning and recieved response saying they are going to investigate it !

The letter is dated 28th of December, I take it I should disregard this and send the 14 day deadline letter.

I posted it on the 14th of December, its the 2nd today, is this enough time for them ?

Regards

Absolutely right, stick to YOUR schedule, not theirs.

This letter is a standard fob off, most people that I have seen have a reply telling them to get lost after they have issued proceedings

Best of luck to you :)

PLEASE READ THE FAQ's

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, everyone

Well suprise suprise, no further contact from the bank, nothing. 14 days are up tomorrow, i take its time to file the court proceedings ! Getting a bit nervous now !

I told my friend about claiming his bank charges back, he took my advice and wrote a letter to Natwest outlining his charges, in under a week they refunded him in full.

How lucky is that, thats why im getting nervous, perhaps ive done something wrong or put a charge on there I shouldnt have ?

Cheers

Go get em you will feel good when you have completed the claim and its served

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

CITI SADR 12.10.06

hang in there radross.. it wont be long now..

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]S.A.R. sent 30 October-reply received 10 november[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Prelim letter sent 28 november- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]LBA sent 13 december- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]MCOL filed 30 december- issued 02/01/07[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]loveletter from colin received 02/01/07-saying will get in touch on feb 9[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]acknowledged claim on 4 jan- has until 1 feb to defend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]defence entered 31 jan 2007[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]offer received 1-2-2007... still waiting for the moolah though:cool: ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]and moolah arrives 1-march 2007!!! Praise the Lord!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi again,

Just doing the mcol service, I take it the defendent is just "HSBC BANK"

What addrees do I use ? Is it:

HSBC BANK PLC

8 CANADA SQUARE

LONDON

E14 5HQ

Sorry just dont want to make any mistakes !