turo.com Car rental dispute. Faulty car - Wheel Nuts came off on modified Wheel whilst driving!! scammed me of £2000 too!!

Fair point.  I'm just trying to point out issues that might add to the OP's arsenal.

BTW, we cross-posted as I was editing my post to say I've never checked wheel nuts in over 20 years of driving - not that I'm advising that!  But it does make it more unreasonable to expect the OP to check wheel nuts.  I've also never checked wheel nuts on any cars that I've hired - I expect the hire company to provide a vehicle that is already mechanically sound and which has already been subject to basic safety tests - like the wheels are soundly attached.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be either – but normally by post.

When did you send it? When is the return date?

Hi Ams,

Did you read the info in our Library about the SAR request. It's all here - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332398-full-subject-access-request-under-the-new-gdpr-2018-regime/?do=findComment&comment=4004412

This tells you how long the business has to reply with the data.

The info is here for you to find and use but you need to help yourself - we can't do it all for you.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Yes I did read thank you. 

Turo have since sent me this. I’ve gone through the procedure and am unable to open the pdf properly on my phone. Not entirely sure if they understood what I meant by a SAR request. 

From what I can see, there doesn’t seem to be anything in there about this incident. Purely a log of what I’ve done on the app, chats and transactions etc. 

I will open it properly on a laptop to check again when I get into work. 

391CD17B-DBD5-42CC-BA68-D811C3750637.png

Dear Sir/Mdm

Thank you for your message of the XXX date.

I'm afraid that the account information that you are referring to is not a full disclosure of personal data which is required in response to a subject access request.

The subject access request is a statutory request for personal data - and has already been indicated in my subject access request to you, requires that you make a full disclosure of all data which you hold on me in any form and on any matter.

As you run a business, you should be fully aware of your statutory responsibilities.

The time is running and at the expiry of the statutory period, if you have not complied in full then I shall sue you for your breach of the data protection regulations.

Yours faithfully

May be too late for the OP but I think I would include in BankFodder's draft (1) a reference to the legislation so that Turo can see for them selves, and (2) I would also emphasise that it is Turo's legal responsibility to disclose the requested info to the OP and not just tell him how to check his account details himself - and that failure to do so is an offence.

(I know they should already know all this but they are clearly incompetent and don't know their **** from their elbow.  If they aren't pointed in the right direction it'll just take longer for the OP to get this sorted out).

Also - OP, did you never get a satisfactory explanation from your bank as to why they refused a chargeback?  Did you (as suggested) ask them to reconsider their original decision in the light ot Turo's own T&Cs which clearly make the "host" (car owner) liable for damage caused by mechanical faults, and not you?

• 2 weeks later...

You should respond to them and say that the statutory requirement is only that the SAR arrives at their organisation. If they haven't trained their staff sufficiently to recognise and to deal with data protection requests then that is their problem.

Tell them that the clock is ticking and that after XXX date there will be in breach.

Then tell them that this letter which you are sending is also a letter of claim giving them 14 days to produce the disclosure. Calculate 14 days from now and that will take you a few days over the deadline. Tell them that by that date XXX date you will see them in the County Court for breach of their data protection obligations.

Only do this if you are prepared to do it. I would suggest that you sue them for £50

• Like 1

Thanks for response. I will have a think about it within the deadline. 

If I were to go to the county court, What would be be the next step regarding the money being taken in the first place and the no investigation etc etc 

It wouldn't affect it at all. It would have the effect of getting them to produce your documents PDQ and it would also make them realise that you are a bit serious

5 hours ago, Ams1996 said:

If I were to go to the county court, What would be be the next step regarding the money being taken in the first place and the no investigation etc etc 

As BankFodder has said this is separate from getting your money back.  The purpose of the SAR is to unearth info that might be used as ammo to get your money back - either by persuasion or by another court action.

When you tell them as BF suggests in #36 that the clock is ticking from when you made your original SAR, not from the second one (it's not your fault they haven't trained their staff properly - love that phrase!) I think BF may have meant it was a "statutory" requirement, not a "static" one.  (I think BF uses dictation software and "static" is a typo).

Incidentally, as I suggested in my last post, did you confront your bank with Turo's T&Cs and ask why the bank would not refund you?  The T&Cs say it's the host's responsibility.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Ams1996 said:

Thanks for response. I will have a think about it within the deadline. 

This whole thing is starting to drag on and if you simply think about it within the deadline and then at the expiry of the deadline you decide to send a letter of claim, then that allows it to go on for another 14 days.