Tenancy agreement clause for smart meters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys, just after a bit of advice. My daughter has recently moved house, she is responsible for paying all the bills including gas and electricity.

There is currently a pre payment meter installed for the gas, she does not want this as she has always paid by direct debit. Every supplier she has contacted so far to have the meter changed has stated they only install smart meters now, this included British gas. Her current supplier, npower have told her they are not changing any meters at the moment until the transition to EON is complete, approx 2-3 months!!!

There is a clause in her tenancy agreement stating that smart meters must NOT be installed.

Is this clause actually legal and enforceable? It just seems such a weird clause to me. What possible reason could the landlord have for refusing the installation of smart meters?

Thanks

LL cannot stop a tenant having a meter been changed, like LL cannot stop a tenant from changing utilities suppliers.

It's an invalid clause.

Meters are the property of the utilities suppliers/distribution supplier depending on where you live and Not a LL.

Everyone one will eventually have a smart meter fitted.

The latest smets meter can be changed remotely from billing paying to pay as you go meters and vice versa.

More here https://tinyurl.com/y4naxhfv

• 1 July 2021 - Legal obligation on energy suppliers to install smart meters to government targets
  • 31 December 2024 - First deadline to complete
  • 30 June 2025 - Deadline extended due to Covid-19 delays.

• Read more at: https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html © SmartMe.co.uk
Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Thanks for the info. I actually got it wrong, it's not in the tenancy agreement, they were just told verbally when signing for the house so even less of an issue now. The agent did say if they had smart meters installed then the landlord would charge to revert them back to standard meters. I've already told my daughter they have no legal grounds to impose such a charge.