Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Movie theatres are welcoming back audiences on Friday hoping there is pent-up demand for a night out. View the full article
    • god where ever did you find all that twaddle rabbit hole stuff to go down .... no wonder you came here...we don't allow nor portray twaddle , neither lead people doen rabbit holes that then cost them money by sending PM's offering help of anything upto £360 for even a failed CCJ defence...   anyway enough of that BS. lets get you moving in the right direct , you should be ok as CEL are always losers if you do things correctly   can you fill this out please:   Received a Court Claim From A Private parking Speculative invoice?? - How To Deal With It HERE***Updated Aug 2016*** - Private Land Parking Enforcement - Consumer Action Group
    • A growing number of clubs big and small are using more technology to help performances on the pitch. View the full article
    • Where was the help for the environment, social care, renters, and to cover the future costs of Covid? View the full article
    • Hi All, I have received a parking ticket as RK (thats registered keeper right?) for overstaying by 16 mins in a well known wholesalers car park in Liverpool. I read some very confusing (and sometimes contradictory information on several sites) on how to deal with this. I followed the instructions to firstly challenge the validity of their claim. I wrote to them (no response) and emailed them. I had to guess at the email address because they provide only the registered office address or a 'claim line', which if i had contacted them on that, would have been agreeing to their idea of us having a contract in the first place (right?). i eventually got the admin email and sent it there, stating that i had already written to them with no response. I got a response saying that they do not respond to correspondence at that address and i should either write to them (already did) or contact via the appeals line or appeals email (again with the acknowledgement that its an appeal i need, rather than straight up confirmation). I asked in at the wholesalers customer/ member services in store about the car park ownership and they informed me it was a consistent problem and they didnt know the owner. I have contacted the head office in Herts for the information. (Customer services/ member services/ online services & complaints) for the information regarding ownership of carpark and the contract of agreement between them and the CE parking management with no luck. I received no further correspondence and therefore assumed that they had dropped their spurious claims. They acknowledged my letter with: "Response from representation team -  We refer to your recent correspondence. We accept for you to pay the original reduced sum of £100. The Parking Charge Notice has been passed to a debt recovery agency. All further enquiries, including payments, must be directed to them. Please follow the instruction on the correspondence you have received." I received nothing else until I receive a Northampton county court business service court claim. The amount is now in the hundreds (£274). I have acknowledged and sent back the form with nothing else written on it. now i have another week or so to mount my defence. I dont know anyone who speaks 'legalese' and frankly its giving me sleepless nights. Incidentally, at the time of the alleged 'contravention' there was a bout of sudden severe weather which was 'waited out' inside the wholesalers porch by several members and their children because the soft furnishings and electricals (for example) bought in store would have been destroyed by the downpour. Further investigation into the owner of the Civil Enforcement ltd has shown me that they are owned by CCP parking, who are in turn owned by Qa Nominees and are owned by people exposed in the Panama Papers scandal.   I am feeling like im a tiny part of a very big scam here, one that DVLA are profiting from. Under advisement, I have written a complaint to the wholesalers complaining about being treated so shoddily as a member. Under advisement, I have also written to CE ltd requesting a Subject Access Request. But I really dont understand the process or what steps to take now.
  • Our picks

    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
        • Like
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.
      I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.
      In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 
      In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.
      In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.
      To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.
      So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.
      Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!
        • Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Recommended Posts

Hello All


I am part PAYE and part self employed


my accountant has vanished and i think has immigrated but I only found out 2 weks ago.


Im stuck and cant find an accountant ebcasue they are all busy


So having to turn to you guys for advice


My income pre expenses from self employement is £56000




I bought a mac laptop for £1400


I paid my daughter who is 17 , £4900


I have  to have an indemnity. I forgot to mention to my accountant last year about my indemnity , so we did not enter ~£2700 on last years return of 2018-2019. Can I enter them onto the return from 2019- 2020?


Overall the total of my expenses is ~ 18000 ( fuel/travel/subsistence/stationary , daughter wages  ..etc)


Questions please


1. Can I claim the laptop as expenses. All of it? or part of it?


2. Is ~4900 to my 17 yr old daughter reasonable. She helped me on weekends etc as she studying for her A levels etc ?


3. Can I enter the indeminty figure that was missed on last years return ?


4. are expneses totalling ~18000 reasonable if my self employed figure before expenses is ~56000?


Would appreciate if someone with good knowledge can specifically reply to each point


Most grateful


panicking so much. called like 10 accountancy firms and all say we cant promise to get things done by deadline, so it seems I have to do everything myself this year online. they stared talking about forms 64-8 which I was totally clueless about



Please please Begging for advice 











Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't see a major issue with any of that.


1 IT equipment upto £2k is normally ok.


2 daughters cost, provided it has been transferred then no problem. Mp's do it all the time and it's below the ni and tax thresholds. 


Depending on the business£18k does not sound unreasonable.


I've spent the last thirty years doing my own tax returns.


Get in touch if you are stuck, if I can help I will. - not sure if that breaks forum rules. Sorry if it does.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh. I don't understand the indemnity. If it was a business expense that has come back and it was an expense last year than it needs to be entered in back on the income side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nobby_v said:

Don't see a major issue with any of that.


1 IT equipment upto £2k is normally ok.


2 daughters cost, provided it has been transferred then no problem. Mp's do it all the time and it's below the ni and tax thresholds. 


Depending on the business£18k does not sound unreasonable.


I've spent the last thirty years doing my own tax returns.


Get in touch if you are stuck, if I can help I will. - not sure if that breaks forum rules. Sorry if it does.




Advising by PM is against forum rules. It's stops us being a resource for people to use in the future and also prevents advice from being peer-reviewed. Please keep advice on this thread.



Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobby- v


You are most kind XXXXXX


very precise and to the point so thankyou


I transferred 4900 to her by bank transfer so its all on the bank statements.


Re the indemnity, its professional indemnity. Im a nurse and pay fees to the nursing council etc. But because Im self employed , I have to have extra indemnity in case I am found negligent etc....


Last year it was £2700 but  wasnt included in last years return 2018-2019. I forgot to tell my accountant. I hope that clarifies. Can i enter it on SA and in the free hand space on SA  , just mention it?


Honeybee, Thanks. will respect the forum rules . Bless ya xxx



  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kittyadmirer123 said:

Re the indemnity, its professional indemnity. Im a nurse and pay fees to the nursing council etc. But because Im self employed , I have to have extra indemnity in case I am found negligent etc....


Last year it was £2700 but  wasnt included in last years return 2018-2019. I forgot to tell my accountant. I hope that clarifies. Can i enter it on SA and in the free hand space on SA  , just mention it?


The urgency here is presumably because you have not yet submitted your 2019-20 tax return and you have to get it to HMRC by 31st January or HMRC will charge you late filing penalties?


Is this what you mean by "the indemnity"?


Professional indemnity arrangement (nmc.org.uk)


If so I understand it to be an insurance premium for professional negligence/professional indemnity insurance which you are required to have as a condition of registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council. Because you are self-employed you have to pay the premium yourself. In which case  I'm confident that is an allowable business expense. You forgot to claim it as an expense in your 2018-19 tax return and want to claim it now, and also claim it for  2019-20 tax year. 


Hopefully that clarification will enable to other posters who know more than I do about self-employed tax returns to advise you.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok no pms. Was not trying to flout rules.


For sure, add in the last year amount that was ommited and drop a note in. Just be honest. 


You should be able to get this keyed in now. If you don't have access to the revenue site, I'd get a shimmy on.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Thannkyou Ethel for your contribution 


exactly you are spot on. The urgency is this year because of the looming deadline of 31 January.


Yes I meant the NMC by the indemnity. I will need to claim the current year 19/20, but was clarifying if I could claim the one from 18/19 on the current tax return as i forgot to mention it to my accountant last year. this year Im without an accountant so have to get the skates on and file my SA.  It seems its ok to do that from what i read here

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobby- v


thankyou xxx



i will add and drop a note. 


i will be as transparent and if they decide to question anything i have proof for all of that.


they cant expect t hold me to a standard expected from an accountant so im sure they will understand

Link to post
Share on other sites

One little thought that may help alleviate that pressure.

Remember that, after you've filed your Tax Return, you have 12 months (to 31 Jan 2022) to re-open/amend it, claim any more expenses overlooked - or fix any other errors - and re-submit the corrected Return online.

So long as your re-submission does NOT trigger additional tax/N.I. bills then the re-submission itself won't cause any fines or penalties.

Get the Return filed as accurately as you can, and pay whatever tax/N.I. is due, by the end of this month THEN, if necessary, reopen the Return to amend/re-submit asap after that.

Good luck with it all.

Edited by taxhelper
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankyou Taxhelper. I like your username :)


so if my accountant summitted my tax for last year 18/19 ( he is no longer my accountant), are you saying that , because I missed out an expense on last years return, I also have till 31/1/2021 to amend last years return and claim that expense?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The choice is yours - yes, you can reopen the 2018/19 Return and resubmit it online - corrected - by the end of this month to include that overlooked expense.

Alternatively you can include it in your 2019/20 Tax Return declarations if you wish.


Obviously the first action will ensure both Returns are more accurate.

i've often seen this now and again when they inadvertently overlook something. It's fairly usual practice.

Once again .....good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites



Dont know how to say it, but a Genuine Thankyou


Shows what a great person you are that you are prepared to offer such advice for free .


Im vey much indebted.


Thankyuo again


stay safe 



Link to post
Share on other sites



I hope everyone is well and thanks to everyone so far for their advice


Just about to submit SA online


wanted to check a few things please


1. for my fuel mainly, lot of the receipts have faded and i use my internet bank statements for evidence of fuel etc. For example if I wen to BP petrol station, and filled up £40, it would show up on my bank statement and thats my evidence. If i do buy a coffee whilst there, I tend to pay separately, thus keeping the fuel payments e separate. i thn aportion 60% of the fuel cost to business, as ~40% i for personal use.



Therefore, is this method of keeping records acceptable to HMRC?




2. on the online SA form, there is a box for signature. if Im submitting online, do i have to sign that and if yes, how?


3. NIC2. It asked if i had profits over ~£6,500 ( cant remember exact figure). Thats a yes. So next was if i wanted to give NIC2. When I choose yes, a red message error comes up preventing me from proceeding. Only when I enter 'NO' onto the NIC2 that it allows me to contribute. Does that mean the system thinks I shouldn't pay NIC2?



4. Last year, on the SA of 18-19 ( that my acct had done for me and submitted), I ended up making an overpayment of £800 by 31/1/2020. I also made the first payment on account for 19-20 of half that amount , ie 400.


in this years return, im asked if theres any underpayment or underpayment from previous years. hen I enter the overpayment, again i get a red error message which stops me proceeding with the form. Only when I enter, 'NO', meaning theres no over or underpayments , that the online portal allows me to proceed with my SA application.

In effect it means for this year I will have to pay what i owe, without taking into consideration that I had overpaid a ttal of £1200 ( 800 + 400), last year. How can I address that please?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few thoughts.


1. Providing those percentages are accurate that should be fine.


2. There is no need for an actual signature on the form. Just submitting it valid enough.


3. Are you sure the form asks you to mark the box if your income is OVER £6365? I think you may have misread. The entry is usually needed if your income is UNDER £6365 AND you still want to pay Class 2 NIC voluntarily.

If your income is greater than £6365 I don't think you need to mark that box.


4. Remember - the filing of the Tax Return itself is handled by one section of HMRC, different from the section that tracks your payments. The Tax Return does NOT want to know about any money you sent to HMRC. 

The reference to  "underpayment or underpayment from previous years" refers to PAYE tax codes where you are in employment. In short this box does not refer to you, as a self employed person,  and should be left blank.

Your various overpayments from the past and "payments on account" for 2019/20 will be processed by the collection department computers after your Tax Return is submitted.

If all goes as it should then everything will come out in the wash.

From what you describe I think you still have that £800 credit on your self assessment account. If so HMRC should use that credit to cover the £400 you say is now due leaving £400 credit remaining on your account.

Bottom line - submit the Tax Return THEN go into your account a day or two later to check the balance owing to them  or repayable to you.


Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks dear taxhelper. I really appreciate it.


As a nurse i am part self employed and part PAYE ( i think i had mentioned that in my initial post#1).


But I totally agree, everything should balance out.


I have kind of worked out how much I owe them. I wont be able to pay it all because I am short of funds. The hospital had delayed processing one of my invoices and so the payment may r may not be in my bank account by the end of the month. I dont know that. If it does get into my account then im Ok paying my tax. if not then I wont have enough.


How should I play this? Shall I call HMRC and give them advance notice, stating that I may not be able to pay the lot as a lump sum? I have called the hospital and tried y best and they promised to pay me but they have let me down in the past, so I remain in limbo whether they will pay me in time or not



Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice - submit the completed Tax Return first. Then worry about who owes what to whom. That's dealt with separately from the form itself.

Have you checked your account with HMRC to see what they owe you (or you owe them) as of today?

What's the situation?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Taxhelper


Thanks again . Your so kind and Im very grateful.


I am about to submit the form in the next few hours. Before clicking the submit button there is a calculation page that has been generated by the site based on the info I provided ( income from PAYe and income from self employment etc...with all expenses deducted). their calcs are correct.


The figures are correct and I do owe them a sum as well as 1st payment on account for 20-21. I just am not sure I can pay the lot by 31/1/2021 because I did not anticipate that the hospital may not be able to pay me on time ( my jan pay). Thats because I did submit my 'timesheet' to the HR on time but they delayed processing it in time for it to be paid by the end of this month. They have said they have asked for an exceptional CHAPS payment to be made but I remain uncertain whether they will pay it into my account by then or not. thats why i wasnt sure if its best to call HMRC and give them the heads up or not.


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case you need to submit the form then pay them when you can.


Pay after 31st January 2021 and HMRC may charge you interest but only at a low rate. It's 2.6% on a simple daily basis.

Unless you owe them HUGE sums then pay it off in February and the interest shouldn't be much. If it's small enough they may even write if off if you don't pay it.

What you need to watch is that it's all paid off by the end of next month.


At the end of February 2021 HMRC levy a 5% surcharge on certain unpaid amounts. You don't need that bill on top of everything else.

All the best.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou x million million times


You are wonderful and sorry to tak up your time 


Hope you keep safe and that you and all your loved ones stay safe and are healthy



  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites



I am just about to submit now, but a friend just said that HMRC have extended their deadline till 28th feb.


Is this a hoax?


ive checked online and it appears true.


Whats confusing thought is they are extending the deadline for filing till 28th feb but will still want people to pay by 31/1/2021 and if they owe HMRC any money they need to pay and interest will apply.


so extend filing date till 28th Feb with no penalties but charge interest from the first of Feb if we owe them. Bit confusing but I guess at least they have given us some breathing space.


A b

Link to post
Share on other sites

After saying for months that no way was the deadline going to be extended on Monday HMRC changed their mind and extended it to 28th February.


But they haven't extended the date for making payments on account or paying tax due. That's still 31st January, according to this newspaper article. And interest on unpaid tax will still be charged from 1st February. So I can't think of any reason you wouldn't file now if you are ready to go.


HMRC extends tax self-assessment deadline by a month to 28 February | Tax | The Guardian

Edited by Ethel Street
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...