• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Expenses self employment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I am part PAYE and part self employed

my accountant has vanished and i think has immigrated but I only found out 2 weks ago.

Im stuck and cant find an accountant ebcasue they are all busy

So having to turn to you guys for advice

My income pre expenses from self employement is £56000

I bought a mac laptop for £1400

I paid my daughter who is 17 , £4900

I have  to have an indemnity. I forgot to mention to my accountant last year about my indemnity , so we did not enter ~£2700 on last years return of 2018-2019. Can I enter them onto the return from 2019- 2020?

Overall the total of my expenses is ~ 18000 ( fuel/travel/subsistence/stationary , daughter wages  ..etc)

Questions please

1. Can I claim the laptop as expenses. All of it? or part of it?

2. Is ~4900 to my 17 yr old daughter reasonable. She helped me on weekends etc as she studying for her A levels etc ?

3. Can I enter the indeminty figure that was missed on last years return ?

4. are expneses totalling ~18000 reasonable if my self employed figure before expenses is ~56000?

Would appreciate if someone with good knowledge can specifically reply to each point

Most grateful

panicking so much. called like 10 accountancy firms and all say we cant promise to get things done by deadline, so it seems I have to do everything myself this year online. they stared talking about forms 64-8 which I was totally clueless about

Please please Begging for advice 

Thanyouxxxx

Don't see a major issue with any of that.

1 IT equipment upto £2k is normally ok.

2 daughters cost, provided it has been transferred then no problem. Mp's do it all the time and it's below the ni and tax thresholds. 

Depending on the business£18k does not sound unreasonable.

I've spent the last thirty years doing my own tax returns.

Get in touch if you are stuck, if I can help I will. - not sure if that breaks forum rules. Sorry if it does.

2 minutes ago, Nobby_v said:

Don't see a major issue with any of that.

1 IT equipment upto £2k is normally ok.

2 daughters cost, provided it has been transferred then no problem. Mp's do it all the time and it's below the ni and tax thresholds. 

Depending on the business£18k does not sound unreasonable.

I've spent the last thirty years doing my own tax returns.

Get in touch if you are stuck, if I can help I will. - not sure if that breaks forum rules. Sorry if it does.

Hi.

Advising by PM is against forum rules. It's stops us being a resource for people to use in the future and also prevents advice from being peer-reviewed. Please keep advice on this thread.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Nobby- v

You are most kind XXXXXX

very precise and to the point so thankyou

I transferred 4900 to her by bank transfer so its all on the bank statements.

Re the indemnity, its professional indemnity. Im a nurse and pay fees to the nursing council etc. But because Im self employed , I have to have extra indemnity in case I am found negligent etc....

Last year it was £2700 but  wasnt included in last years return 2018-2019. I forgot to tell my accountant. I hope that clarifies. Can i enter it on SA and in the free hand space on SA  , just mention it?

Honeybee, Thanks. will respect the forum rules . Bless ya xxx

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kittyadmirer123 said:

Re the indemnity, its professional indemnity. Im a nurse and pay fees to the nursing council etc. But because Im self employed , I have to have extra indemnity in case I am found negligent etc....

Last year it was £2700 but  wasnt included in last years return 2018-2019. I forgot to tell my accountant. I hope that clarifies. Can i enter it on SA and in the free hand space on SA  , just mention it?

The urgency here is presumably because you have not yet submitted your 2019-20 tax return and you have to get it to HMRC by 31st January or HMRC will charge you late filing penalties?

Is this what you mean by "the indemnity"?

Professional indemnity arrangement (nmc.org.uk)

If so I understand it to be an insurance premium for professional negligence/professional indemnity insurance which you are required to have as a condition of registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council. Because you are self-employed you have to pay the premium yourself. In which case  I'm confident that is an allowable business expense. You forgot to claim it as an expense in your 2018-19 tax return and want to claim it now, and also claim it for  2019-20 tax year. 

Hopefully that clarification will enable to other posters who know more than I do about self-employed tax returns to advise you.

Ok no pms. Was not trying to flout rules.

For sure, add in the last year amount that was ommited and drop a note in. Just be honest. 

You should be able to get this keyed in now. If you don't have access to the revenue site, I'd get a shimmy on.

Thannkyou Ethel for your contribution 

exactly you are spot on. The urgency is this year because of the looming deadline of 31 January.

Yes I meant the NMC by the indemnity. I will need to claim the current year 19/20, but was clarifying if I could claim the one from 18/19 on the current tax return as i forgot to mention it to my accountant last year. this year Im without an accountant so have to get the skates on and file my SA.  It seems its ok to do that from what i read here

Nobby- v

thankyou xxx

i will add and drop a note. 

i will be as transparent and if they decide to question anything i have proof for all of that.

they cant expect t hold me to a standard expected from an accountant so im sure they will understand

One little thought that may help alleviate that pressure.

Remember that, after you've filed your Tax Return, you have 12 months (to 31 Jan 2022) to re-open/amend it, claim any more expenses overlooked - or fix any other errors - and re-submit the corrected Return online.

So long as your re-submission does NOT trigger additional tax/N.I. bills then the re-submission itself won't cause any fines or penalties.

Get the Return filed as accurately as you can, and pay whatever tax/N.I. is due, by the end of this month THEN, if necessary, reopen the Return to amend/re-submit asap after that.

Good luck with it all.

Edited by taxhelper
  • Thanks 2

Thankyou Taxhelper. I like your username :)

so if my accountant summitted my tax for last year 18/19 ( he is no longer my accountant), are you saying that , because I missed out an expense on last years return, I also have till 31/1/2021 to amend last years return and claim that expense?

The choice is yours - yes, you can reopen the 2018/19 Return and resubmit it online - corrected - by the end of this month to include that overlooked expense.

Alternatively you can include it in your 2019/20 Tax Return declarations if you wish.

Obviously the first action will ensure both Returns are more accurate.

i've often seen this now and again when they inadvertently overlook something. It's fairly usual practice.

Once again .....good luck!

Goodmorning

I hope everyone is well and thanks to everyone so far for their advice

Just about to submit SA online

wanted to check a few things please

1. for my fuel mainly, lot of the receipts have faded and i use my internet bank statements for evidence of fuel etc. For example if I wen to BP petrol station, and filled up £40, it would show up on my bank statement and thats my evidence. If i do buy a coffee whilst there, I tend to pay separately, thus keeping the fuel payments e separate. i thn aportion 60% of the fuel cost to business, as ~40% i for personal use.

Therefore, is this method of keeping records acceptable to HMRC?

2. on the online SA form, there is a box for signature. if Im submitting online, do i have to sign that and if yes, how?

3. NIC2. It asked if i had profits over ~£6,500 ( cant remember exact figure). Thats a yes. So next was if i wanted to give NIC2. When I choose yes, a red message error comes up preventing me from proceeding. Only when I enter 'NO' onto the NIC2 that it allows me to contribute. Does that mean the system thinks I shouldn't pay NIC2?

4. Last year, on the SA of 18-19 ( that my acct had done for me and submitted), I ended up making an overpayment of £800 by 31/1/2020. I also made the first payment on account for 19-20 of half that amount , ie 400.

in this years return, im asked if theres any underpayment or underpayment from previous years. hen I enter the overpayment, again i get a red error message which stops me proceeding with the form. Only when I enter, 'NO', meaning theres no over or underpayments , that the online portal allows me to proceed with my SA application.

In effect it means for this year I will have to pay what i owe, without taking into consideration that I had overpaid a ttal of £1200 ( 800 + 400), last year. How can I address that please?

A few thoughts.

1. Providing those percentages are accurate that should be fine.

2. There is no need for an actual signature on the form. Just submitting it valid enough.

3. Are you sure the form asks you to mark the box if your income is OVER £6365? I think you may have misread. The entry is usually needed if your income is UNDER £6365 AND you still want to pay Class 2 NIC voluntarily.

If your income is greater than £6365 I don't think you need to mark that box.

4. Remember - the filing of the Tax Return itself is handled by one section of HMRC, different from the section that tracks your payments. The Tax Return does NOT want to know about any money you sent to HMRC. 

The reference to  "underpayment or underpayment from previous years" refers to PAYE tax codes where you are in employment. In short this box does not refer to you, as a self employed person,  and should be left blank.

Your various overpayments from the past and "payments on account" for 2019/20 will be processed by the collection department computers after your Tax Return is submitted.

If all goes as it should then everything will come out in the wash.

From what you describe I think you still have that £800 credit on your self assessment account. If so HMRC should use that credit to cover the £400 you say is now due leaving £400 credit remaining on your account.

Bottom line - submit the Tax Return THEN go into your account a day or two later to check the balance owing to them  or repayable to you.

Good luck.

Thanks dear taxhelper. I really appreciate it.

As a nurse i am part self employed and part PAYE ( i think i had mentioned that in my initial post#1).

But I totally agree, everything should balance out.

I have kind of worked out how much I owe them. I wont be able to pay it all because I am short of funds. The hospital had delayed processing one of my invoices and so the payment may r may not be in my bank account by the end of the month. I dont know that. If it does get into my account then im Ok paying my tax. if not then I wont have enough.

How should I play this? Shall I call HMRC and give them advance notice, stating that I may not be able to pay the lot as a lump sum? I have called the hospital and tried y best and they promised to pay me but they have let me down in the past, so I remain in limbo whether they will pay me in time or not

My advice - submit the completed Tax Return first. Then worry about who owes what to whom. That's dealt with separately from the form itself.

Have you checked your account with HMRC to see what they owe you (or you owe them) as of today?

What's the situation?

Hello Taxhelper

Thanks again . Your so kind and Im very grateful.

I am about to submit the form in the next few hours. Before clicking the submit button there is a calculation page that has been generated by the site based on the info I provided ( income from PAYe and income from self employment etc...with all expenses deducted). their calcs are correct.

The figures are correct and I do owe them a sum as well as 1st payment on account for 20-21. I just am not sure I can pay the lot by 31/1/2021 because I did not anticipate that the hospital may not be able to pay me on time ( my jan pay). Thats because I did submit my 'timesheet' to the HR on time but they delayed processing it in time for it to be paid by the end of this month. They have said they have asked for an exceptional CHAPS payment to be made but I remain uncertain whether they will pay it into my account by then or not. thats why i wasnt sure if its best to call HMRC and give them the heads up or not.

In that case you need to submit the form then pay them when you can.

Pay after 31st January 2021 and HMRC may charge you interest but only at a low rate. It's 2.6% on a simple daily basis.

Unless you owe them HUGE sums then pay it off in February and the interest shouldn't be much. If it's small enough they may even write if off if you don't pay it.

What you need to watch is that it's all paid off by the end of next month.

At the end of February 2021 HMRC levy a 5% surcharge on certain unpaid amounts. You don't need that bill on top of everything else.

All the best.

Thanks

I am just about to submit now, but a friend just said that HMRC have extended their deadline till 28th feb.

Is this a hoax?

ive checked online and it appears true.

Whats confusing thought is they are extending the deadline for filing till 28th feb but will still want people to pay by 31/1/2021 and if they owe HMRC any money they need to pay and interest will apply.

so extend filing date till 28th Feb with no penalties but charge interest from the first of Feb if we owe them. Bit confusing but I guess at least they have given us some breathing space.

A b

After saying for months that no way was the deadline going to be extended on Monday HMRC changed their mind and extended it to 28th February.

But they haven't extended the date for making payments on account or paying tax due. That's still 31st January, according to this newspaper article. And interest on unpaid tax will still be charged from 1st February. So I can't think of any reason you wouldn't file now if you are ready to go.

HMRC extends tax self-assessment deadline by a month to 28 February | Tax | The Guardian

Edited by Ethel Street
  • Like 1