Bank Generosity?

Carningli
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1194 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Cagers,

It is sometime since I have had to request the collective wisdom of this great site, but I find myself in a peculiar position and would be grateful for your advice. 

Some 9 years ago I was taken to the Small Claims Court by HSBC who were claiming repayment of £4,000 overdraft which they claimed was owed to them. I decided to defend this case myself as £3000 of this amount was made up of excessive charges, £1000 only was in my opinion genuinely owed by myself.

When we got into court the Judge stated that she had read our depositions and asked if the case might be closed by an agreed settlement beween both parties before proceeding. To my surprise HSBC 's solicitor said that they were agreeable. The Judge then asked me if I was also in agreement to which I replied I was. The Judge then asked me, what would I consider to be a fair settlement, I responded by saying that I would pay the balalance owed at that time on the £1000 and as far as the charges of £3000 these were unfair and should be written off by HSBC. The Judge upheld my request with the agreement of the HSBC's solicitor. The matter was then closed on the discharge of the remaining balance of the £1000 elelement.

Around a week ago I received two letters a week apart with cheques to the value of £50 in each. The accompanying letters stated that this was in respect of poor treatment by the bank. As you can well understand I was quite taken aback. Is this some form of sophisticated scam?