• Tweets

• so her phone is working again now and she happy with that..   they didn't put her on a rolling contract, when she changed the services provided (removed sky) it would trigger a new fixed terms contract of XX mts of which they would have advised her of that upon the phone at the time. thats what all providers do.   as this wasnt too long ago, fire off an SAR and as well as the all info line in our sar template add a line wanting call recording with reps between date ss to date xx lets make sure they did/didn't tell her .    
    • Thanks for your advice. They didn't really reduce her bill when putting her on the rolling contract. She's emailed BT to complain as well about £800 fee. She will have to check where she stands with her mobile contract given she is still paying each month as she still needs to have a mobile phone for emergencies. A lesson on how careful you have to be when changing providers
    • forget CAB you might as well phone bt back as thats about as useless as they'll be.   you can't have a rolling 24mts contract', bt rolling contracts are month to month only, thats an industrywide accepted definition of what rolling means.   what happened here is she earlier changed her 'package' removing skt to reduce costs. as with all providers that invoked = means she entered into a new (in this case) 24mts contract.   she latterly phone to cancel that contract, and thus bt charged her the cancellation fee/loss of revenue over the remaining months of the contract.   the fact that she owes them 'this money' but didn't pay it, then entitled them sadly to cancel the mobile contract, which sadly again they allowed to do.   rock and a hard place if she wants to keep the same mobile number.   Or as long as her phone is not imie blocked by bt (in otherwords she purchased from BT under the mobile contract) but simply locked to BT (which is easily gotten around for a small fee at many shops/market stalls or if someone is tech savvy follow the guides on youtube to unlock the phone for an even smaller fee. and wack a new sim in it.   as for the £800 bill simply ignore them. they'll sell the debt on  and if anyone like Lowells or anyother powerless DCA debt buyer wants to do court, it's easily defended we've not lost one case like that here.        
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies

Backdoor CCJ Lowell - old Vaquis+Cap1 Card DEbts

Earlier this year, I was looking to move from my current address into another rented property 

I casually checked my credit score to see I had a CCJ from Lucas Credit on behalf of Lowell

I asked Lucas Credit for the details of the debt the provided the following:

Our client’s reference number: ......, Original creditor: Vanquis, Original creditors reference: XXXXXXXXXXX, Balance: £751.70

The account was opened on 30/04/2015 with the last payment to the original creditor on 13/05/2016 for the amount of £30.00.

Our client’s reference number: ......., Original creditor: Capital One, Original creditors reference: XXXXXXXXXXXXX, Balance: £615.67
The account was opened on 22/12/2014 with the last payment to the original creditor on 13/07/2017 for the amount of £38.60.

I told Lucas credit that I had let the client know (lowell) that I was moving home on 1/12/2019

(I have an email sent to Lowell informing them of change of address)

Based on that information I requested Lucas Credit to agree to set aside the judgement based on that, the kindly declined :)

As of the 30th of December they've allowed me 30 days to apply for my judgement to have this set aside 

When looking into the debts I noticed one of them was what I believe to be a fraudulent payment, 

I did notify Lowell about this debt had been reported to action fraud and I was waiting on lowell to provide me any information as they said they would get back to me in relation to debt. approx 08/4/2019 and then followed up on the 15/4/2019

(I heard nothing back and forgot about this assuming they'd be in contact)

I received a copy of the judgement from the court on Friday via email and can see its a basic rubber-stamped document with no additional information on the debts just the combined sum and court fees.

I have sent a SAR and will send a CPR & CPA to Lowell tomorrow 

is it viable for me to appeal to get this judgement set aside and file my defence ( i have a template will fill it out shortly and post)

Thank you

• dx100uk changed the title to Backdoor CCJ Lowell - old Vaquis+Cap1 Card DEbts

no point in sending CPR/CCA too late for that.

you seem to have proof you informed lowell concerning your address change

but i can't see a defence for the actual debts themselves.

sadly judgement has been handed down so unless you pay the full amount by day 28 from the judgement date , the CCJ will be there for 6yrs regardless.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your reply,

The Capital one was a fraudulent case in my name So I feel its unfair for lowell to pursue that case,i wasnt in the property at the time and lowell haven't provided any information on that basis can i not defend using the below?

[removed - dx]

Edited by dx100uk
link to extenal site removed please read our rules

judgement has already been passed, it's to late to defend upon paperwork wriggles.

if you have written proof of the fraud i'e that you were living elsewhere, then raise an N244 .

however you need to be careful as that doesn't address the whole CCJ and judgement would still be registered regardless.

your best way might be to get the judgement settled within the time limit so it is not registered.

then go for a set aside later in the day , if you are lucky enough to get a set aside hearing, you might be able to address the CAp1 debt, but as it appears, have no defence for why you ran up the vanquis one?

there is also the issue of why from 2015/16 through 2019 you serviced these debts without raising a complaint that one of them was not your card and the result of identity theft?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...