• Tweets

• The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Can debts be written off, without going as far as an IVA or bankruptcy?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1164 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have debts totalling some £23,000. J

ust over £3000 is with Capital One,

around £750 is with Tesco Bank for a credit card,

around £400 is with Aqua, and

just under £19,000 is with my bank, HSBC, for repayments of a personal loan, for which the agreement was to pay back £325ish a month, but I've defaulted for around a year. They have just got back in touch regarding the default in payments, with covid having stalled their chasing. 

I earn £22,350-a-year, with an annual bonus usually averaging between £1500-£2000, although this was lower this year, unsurprisingly. I live with my partner, who I support, as her income as a freelance-writer isn't yet too considerable. I also have a dependent, who I pay child support for. 

Over the last few months, I have been making a second income, doing something called 'matched betting', which is a (legal) way of making money, by using free bet offers and voting at bet exchanges against the same thing. This could amount to over £5000-a-year. When I looked into an IVA, I was told that this would complicate things considerably, as it would look like typical gambling, on my bank statement, and would be hard to reconcile. The practice is actually not gambling, as winning is guaranteed, and you even know the amount you're going to win. 

Despite my debt, as my income isn't terrible, I'd like to be able to get a mortgage, at some point in the not-TOO-distant future. My credit score puts me only just in the 'poor' category, at the 'very poor' end. 

My two questions are thus:

are there any ways of writing off debt, without going as far as having an IVA?

With my debt and low credit score, I'm hardly the best candidate for a mortgage, but am hoping that I might stand a chance of getting one sooner than the five or six years I would be barred from having one, should I take an IVA or go bankrupt

Secondly, will any other options be affected by my matched betting income? Will any agencies simply see it as gambling expenditure? 

Any advice much-welcomed. 

Thank you.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

A Debt Relief Order is far better than an IVA...but the current limit is 20K and I assume you are renting which is also a requirement.

https://www.stepchange.org/how-we-help/debt-relief-order.aspx

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

would it be possible for you to expand a wee bit more upon your debts please?

list for each debt...

original creditor

credit type

when you took it out

whats owed today

who owns the debt (I'E a DCA or still with the original creditor)

who you are paying now

defaulted date from credit file

lets see 1st, but never go fot IVA or BK ever...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

MY debts total some £23,000. Just over £3000 is with Capital One, around £750 is with Tesco Bank for a credit card, around £400 is with Aqua, and just under £19,000 is with my bank, HSBC, for repayments of a personal loan, for which the agreement was to pay back £325ish a month.

Only the Tesco Bank debt is with a DCA. I've been paying only the actual creditors, as I haven't made a payment on the one that's with a DCA, since it was.

Really, I just want to ascertain whether there's a way of writing off any debt, without the effect being so detrimental to the ability to get a mortgage. If it would make it very, very difficult for me to get a mortgage for a whole five years, then I feel I should perhaps just work on paying them off. 

There's also, as mentioned, the question of whether matched betting income would look too strange on a bank statement, as to rule me out of such assistance.

pers id not worry about the matched payments or whatever it is.

are these debts defaulted on your credit file?

and is the tesco sold to the DCA and you've had a notice of assignment?

pers i'd simply use our prorata letters rather than going down any IVA/BK route

DRO would be very good if you can get one !!

any assets, home, car, etc?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

1 hour ago, Devon Cream Tea said:

Thanks for your reply, Andy. Do you think the matched betting income would be problematic?

Only if your surplus income is more than £50.00 pm as per below......Its all explained in the link I provided 

Why would my DRO application be declined?

Your DRO application will be declined if:

The total value of your qualifying debts is more than £20,000

You have assets worth more than £1,000 - though you can own a domestic motor vehicle worth up to £1,000 in addition to this

You have more than £50 each month in surplus income

You're currently under another insolvency solution, like bankruptcy or an IVA

You own a domestic vehicle worth more than £1,000

You're a homeowner

You haven't lived in England, Wales or Northern Ireland at some point in the last three years

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/debt-solutions.aspx?channel=ppc&gclid=CjwKCAiAudD_BRBXEiwAudakXzQWmjzWpn2mLn27R5mDwcrk0u7IievDAiFvtpb_7-isulfG25fCjxoC-i8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thanks for the response.

Actually, I am earning more than £50-a-week, let alone a month, from the second income, so I guess that rules me out.

Interestingly, when I liaised with someone regarding a potential IVA, they seemed to think that my income levels, from both my job and second income, wouldn't rule me out in terms of their amount; only that the second income would make me look like a gambler. 

I'm probably scraping the barrel now, but are there any other options?

I presume not, as I'm not sure there's anything 'below' a DRO.

Hi DCT,

Andy referred above to Surplus Income of £50 ^^^^

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Well whatever you decide dont go with an IVA...seems the bulk of the debt is with your Bank HSBC which you are already in default with....and assume they have defaulted you so whatever you choose your credit file is already damaged for  6 years.

pro rata letters is the way to go.

let me guess

this hsbc loans was to consolidate  existing hsbc debt?

dx

and they

Andyorch

Thanks

1 hour ago, Andyorch said:

Well whatever you decide dont go with an IVA...seems the bulk of the debt is with your Bank HSBC which you are already in default with....and assume they have defaulted you so whatever you choose your credit file is already damaged for  6 years.

Thanks for your reply. Out of interest, why is it a bad idea to go for an IVA? 

To clarify, does a default actually damage your credit file for a whole six years, almost as much as an IVA/DRO would?

Edited by Devon Cream Tea
Posted too soon

1 hour ago, dx100uk said:

pro rata letters is the way to go.

let me guess

this hsbc loans was to consolidate  existing hsbc debt?

dx

Thanks for your reply. You're right, lol, it was. I take it that I can find out about pro-rata letters, here?

The only person that benefits from an IVA is the provider..the Insolvency practitioner 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/individual-voluntary-arrangements/

so typical HSBC, had you over a barrel, please don't tell me it was one of their 'managed loans' was it?

might pay you to get an sar off to them.

as for the pro rata letters, they are in the debt collection section of our library.

we've had people here with +£50k of debt that have seen lots dealt with and written of too without going formal.

and they

Thanks for your replies. I have actually spoken with someone today, regarding an IVA. My total debt is over £23,000. They said that I could pay £90-a-month for five years, and that the other £18,000ish could then be written off. 

To me, it sounds like a good option. Why might it not be?

As long as they actually do what they say

sadly we find most of your payments are swallowed by their fees

And most ivas fail for one reason or another

bit busy

type in iva in our search top right have a read bit busy sorry.

for £23k no need for one..its not worth it. Not worth it if it was 2x that figure

and they